IMDb > Pillow Talk (1959) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Bedroom Problems

Author: BumpyRide from TCM's Basement
13 October 2004

Out of all the "Bedroom Comedies" of the 50's & 60's this is the best by far. Nothing else comes close to "Pillow Talk" with its witty script, stylish sets, and costumes and a great cast of "A" actors at their very best. Some movies wrap you up like a warm mink coat and make everything seem right in the world. 1950's New York looks fabulous, and I've always wanted to go one of those chic supper clubs decked out like Doris is here. This is one of those rare movies that make you laugh, no matter how many times you've seen it. How sad it is for some reviewers to take fault with Alma and her apparent drinking problem (only to find love herself and throw away the bottle!) or Rock's sexuality that some just can't get past. This is an elegant romp with Doris and Rock.

Comedy to aid the sick!

Author: wrenster from United Kingdom
13 March 2003

So there I was, in my sick-bed when this film comes on. I start to watch, having never seen it before, and to my surprise, find myself laughing...out loud.

I have never really been a fan of either Doris Day or Rock Hudson, but I did enjoy this piece of fluff. And in our modern times when comedies currently released in the cinema can hardly raise a smile, let alone a laugh, I found this a pure delight. So the sexual politics maybe a little outdated, but there were some beautifully timed comedy set-pieces: The moment Doris Day discovers the real identity of Hudson's character has one of the best use of music I have seen in a movie since the Warner Bros cartoons!

A film that I didn't think I would enjoy, but was completely bowled over by.

Super! Super! Super!

Author: rbrb
6 December 2004

Well done Cinemax(cable TV channel) for showing this wonderful movie!

Surely this must rank amongst the top romantic comedies of all time.

Brilliant performances from the super stars Doris Day and Rock Hudson, with equally brilliant support from the likes of Tony Randell and Thelma Ritter.

This picture is so good it had me laughing out loud constantly.

Everything about this film is perfect: the script, the acting, the music, the story, the lighting, music, costumes, titles et al.

Why is it that most movies of this type nowadays ain't a patch on this one?! And the movie industry should ask itself why it cannot find megastars as good as the cast in this picture.

The basic story line involves a shared phone line leading to deception and romance. The use of split screen portrayals is done marvelously. For example the two lovers talk romantically in separate bath-tubs in their different apartments the touching of each others feet is magically shown by the split screen.

One of my favorite scenes is where Rock Hudson in one of his deceptions, pretends he is gay, and of course later history reveals the irony of that.

I thought one of the best lines in the movie was when Thelma Ritter says in effect that one cannot tell a good bottle of wine from a mere sip.

All in all, top class entertainment:

10 out of 10.

Fun and frolics in abundance

Author: Star5 from England
26 November 2002

Fabulous Doris Day and the equally enigmatic Rock Hudson work wonderfully together to create this stylish comedy. Witty lines and double entendre trip off their tongues with ease in one of the best and funniest films I have seen for a long time. Doris Day looks fantastic, in what I would consider the greatest film of her career and Rock Hudson shines in his double role - watch out for the scenes where the Doctor and Nurse mistakenly believe him to be pregnant! Would advise anyone to watch whether a fan of Doris or not.

The wildest behind in New York City!

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
22 May 2001

A party-line turns an interior decorator and a songwriting ladies' man into enemies--that is, until he gets a look at her. When Doris Day is forced into a nightclub by a junior-suitor, she makes the best of it and does a shimmy on the dance-floor in a tight white dress--you can't blame Rock Hudson (at a nearby table) nor the cameraman for zooming in on her derrière, which wiggles seductively and comically. This businesswoman is really a closeted gal-about-town, and Day gives one of her freshest, funniest performances here. I also liked the tinkly background score and the handful of songs (the title cut, "Roly Poly" and "Possess Me"), but apparently Doris didn't. In her autobiography, she scathingly dismisses all the music from her '60s bedroom comedies as "mediocre", blaming her skinflint husband for bypassing top-rank composers like Henry Mancini for "a bunch of no-names". Why Doris!!

***1/2 from ****

great stuff from Doris

Author: didi-5 from United Kingdom
20 June 2004

This hugely enjoyable romantic comedy from the late 1950s teamed Doris Day with Rock Hudson and struck gold. They'd team for three films in all, but this is the best of them.

Doris Day plays an interior decorator who finds she's sharing a telephone party line with a womanising songwriter (Hudson) - she finds him unbearable at the end of the phone, but there are definite sparks for the better when they meet for real. He goes about romancing her in the guise of a nice Southern boy and almost succeeds ...

In support are the funny Thelma Ritter and Tony Randall, perfect foils for the glamorous leads. The film zips along with a large amount of charm, certainly helped by the colour and the snappy title song. There are numerous classic scenes to add to the fun but I won't spoil yours until you've seen it. If you've never seen this, lucky you, you've got a treat to look forward to.

Smart and Sassy

Author: Martin Bradley (MOscarbradley@aol.com) from Derry, Ireland
26 July 2005

This smart and sassy sex comedy was made in 1959 but it could just as easily have been made in 1939 and the roles played here by Doris Day and Rock Hudson could have been played by Irene Dunne and Cary Grant. Michael Gordon's direction is serviceable at best but it has a likable Oscar-winning script by Russell Rouse, Maurice Richlin, Stanley Shapiro and Clarence Greene that makes the most of it's premise of the mismatched couple who find romance in the most unlikely of farcial situations.

Day is starchy and frigid but Hudson is immensely likable and displays a real comic flair. There is a gay joke at the expense of the Hudson character and knowing what we know now we might well ask how much of an 'in-joke' this really was and just who was in on the joke. The film was a huge success and re-vitalized Day's career in non-musical roles. Tony Randall's character of the slightly effete millionaire who is in love with Day is not unlike David Hyde Pierce's Niles in "Frasier" and you can see some of the best "Frasier" scripts in some of the situations here. Influential or what?

In spite of what we know now

Author: beresfordjd from United Kingdom
2 December 2005

In spite of what we know now, Rock Hudson still convinces as a woman-chaser!! He was never considered to be a great actor but he convinced the public for years- so what dom the critics know? This movie is brilliant in every respect-script, plot , performances and the look of the whole thing. How can Doris Day be so sexy and virginal at the same time? Rock Hudson showed a real flair for comedy in this film and it is no wonder that every romantic comedy has been judged against the "Rock Hudson/Doris Day" movies. Even the Doris Day movies NOT starring Rock Hudson were called "Rock Hudson/Doris Day" !!! Doris Day was/is one of the most underrated actresses of the last 50 years. She could play comedy with perfect timing, but convince totally in dramas (check out "Love Me or Leave Me"-fantastic performance.) I must have watched this movie dozens of times and it is still true entertainment. If you have never watched one of her movies then make a point of doing so-yes they have dated, but what has not? Real talent not hype is what true stars have. By the way the 9/10 is because of the dated plot.

Predictable, but a delight.

Author: gridoon
20 August 2001

This first teaming of Doris Day and Rock Hudson is a delightful, visually beautiful comedy - old-fashioned but hardly dated. The two stars make a charming, shiny couple (it's easy to see why they were so popular in their time) and Thelma Ritter steals the show in a needless but funny supporting role. The only problem you may have is that the course of the plot seems to be thoroughly predetermined from the first frame, but the film does a pretty good job of delaying the inevitable. Great sound effects, too. (***)

"You are my inspiration....Doris"

Author: babeth_jr from United States
3 April 2006

I can honestly say that this is my favorite movie of all time. It has everything a romantic comedy needs...a wonderful script, snappy dialog and of course, the wonderful performances by every single actor in the movie. Doris Day is dead on as Jan Morrow, a single interior decorator, living alone in New York City in the late 1950's who has to share a party line on her telephone (which was not that unusual for that day and time, as hard as it is to believe now) with Brad Allen, played with smarmy brilliance by Rock Hudson. Tony Randall plays Jan's friend and client, Jonathan, a neurotic millionaire who wants to be more than just friends with Doris, but can't get to first base with her. The delightful Thelma Ritter is perfectly cast as Alma, Day's hard drinking but wise housekeeper. Doris can't stand sharing her party line with the womanizing Brad Allen, but when Allen sees her at a night club and figures out who she is and that she will never have anything to do with him if she knows his true identity, he invents an alter ego for himself, Rex, the cowboy from Texas. The ensuing story just gets funnier and funnier, as Jonathan, (Tony Randall's character) starts figuring out the deception, and romantic mayhem ensues. Doris Day never looked lovelier as she did in this film, and Rock never looked more handsome. It is ironic that he played such a blatant womanizer in this film, when of course, in real life he was a gay man. Although the film seems kind of dated now (at the time this film was made it was unusual for a woman to be single and successful) it is still tons of fun to watch. They just don't make movies like this anymore. A definite 10 stars!

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]