IMDb > Mexicali Shmoes (1959) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mexicali Shmoes More at IMDbPro »

The best of the Speedy Gonzales shorts

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
8 August 2001

This cartoon, nominated for an Oscar, is the best of the Spedy Gonzales cartoon shorts that were made in the Golden Age of Warner Brothers. I saw this cartoon again recently and found it was much better than I originally thought it was years ago. The highlight of the cartoon for me has to be the appearance of "Slowpoke" Rodriguez, one of Speedy's cousins. Hilarious! Cartoon Network may or may not air this one. A bit difficult to find but well worth the effort. Recommended.

A Must-See Even for Non-Speedy Fans!

Author: JohnHowardReid
10 June 2008

I'm most definitely not a fan of Speedy, but this entry proves to be very amusing, thanks mostly to the antics of the two schmoes of the title, namely a catty duo in the comic tradition of Abbott and Costello.

This time, however, the "Looney Tunes" boys work in an amusing variation. The thin cat is the dumb stooge here, while the paunchy feline plays his more aggressive but almost equally dumb partner.

Nicely paced with some sharp gags, this one deserved its Academy Award nomination. And I loved the off-key song!

Other Speedy cartoons that are worth a look include "Tabasco Road" and "Cat-Tails for Two".

The best Speedy cartoon

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 May 2010

For many reasons this is the best Speedy cartoon, some of them are not that great but this was hugely enjoyable. The animation was a considerable improvement over that in a short like Quacker Tracker, not the best there is but there are some nice backgrounds. The music is nice, the dialogue is fun and the sight gags are sharp with a hilarious ending that serves as the cartoon's highlight. Mel Blanc is superb with the characterisations, and while I am not a huge Speedy fan(though I don't mind him either) he is fine here, as are the supporting characters. Overall, even if you're not a Speedy fan, this one is actually worth watching! 9/10 Bethany Cox

Los gatos estúpidos

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
20 July 2009

In this Speedy Gonzales short he takes a secondary part with the leads being Jose and Manuel, two cats that have decided that they have the brains needed to catch the fastest mouse in all of Mexico. Of course all of their plans back fire in amusing fashion. I particularly liked when one of them tried to catch Speedy with a fishing rod baited with cheese... all he succeeds in doing is getting dragged off by Speedy and when he finally returns he tells his friend that his sister in Los Angeles sends her regards. Eventually they realise they have no chance against Speedy so go after Slowpoke Rodriguez the slowest mouse in all of Mexico instead, I won't reveal how this turns out but will say it was the funniest part of the cartoon.

The two cats were pretty funny, I think the cartoon worked better because it concentrated on them rather than on Speedy. For some reason incompetent cartoon characters are inherently funnier than their more successful counterparts.

Hungry pussygatos

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
14 May 2009

Directed by Friz Freleng, "Mexicali Shmoes" is a very entertaining Speedy Gonzales cartoon. This time around, Speedy must dodge and outwit two shaggy Mexican gatos.

My favorite scenes: During the opening credits, the fat cat Jose plays guitar and sings in a very weak, off-key voice, with the skinny cat Manuel emitting a few cries in between phrases (I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I imagine the "Spanish" that Jose sings is nonsense). The two cats aren't much better during their singing & dancing of "In Guadalajara we go to catch Gonzales..." Upon arriving in Guadalajara, Jose and Manuel trick Speedy into joining them with their little guitar/dancing fiesta before they attack him. And Jose tricks Manuel into sticking his head in Speedy's mouse hole and getting a stick of dynamite blasted in his face.

Speedy Gonzales' cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez makes a brief appearance in "Mexicali Shmoes", and the two pussygatos make a surprise reference to the "gringo" Bugs Bunny as well. A fun cartoon!

one of the only Speedy Gonzales cartoons worth watching

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
14 June 2006

Apart from a few early Speedy Gonzales shorts, the rest were very pitiful and annoying. In fact, in the 1960s, they actually paired Speedy with Daffy Duck in some shorts that made absolutely no sense (why would a duck hunt a mouse?) and were perhaps the worst cartoons Warner Brothers made.

Despite all this, this is still a very good cartoon--probably the best Speedy Gonzales cartoon of them all. Two stupid cats try again and again to catch Speedy and they end up getting the stuffing knocked out of them by the rodent. Then, in a very funny conclusion, they given up on chasing Speedy Gonzales and one of them quickly chases after "Slowpoke Rodriquez"--the slowest mouse in Mexico. But his friend begins yelling at him to stop, as he then explains that Slowpoke also carries a gun! Well, unfortunately for the other cat, this warning comes a bit too late and you see a wonderful scene of a very lazy mouse carrying a huge smoking revolver!

Oh, when will the cats ever learn?

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
8 December 2007

Once again, some less-than-intelligent cats go after Speedy Gonzales, only to have him foil every one of their schemes. OK, so not only do pretty much all of Speedy's cartoons have basically the same plot, but they totally stereotype Mexico. Well, as I understand it, many Hispanics like that these cartoons portray our southern neighbor positively. So, Speedy does his usual stuff in "Mexicali Shmoes", always showing himself to be one cool dude; no wonder all the female mice love him. As for his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez (the slowest mouse in Mexico)...well, clearly he has a reason for existence. Anyway, this one's worth seeing.