IMDb > Hey Boy! Hey Girl! (1959) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Hey Boy! Hey Girl! More at IMDbPro »

It's got Louis Prima, what more could you want?

Author: PonderosaGal from United States
30 December 2005

I bought "Hey Boy, Hey Girl" because I'm a huge Louis Prima fan. But because of some IMDb members reviews I was afraid to watch it. Well, let me tell you, this is a very nice movie. There's nothing lewd, nothing that could offend anyone, and it has it's funny moments too. You may not like it if you're into all that heavy Drama or action-adventure stuff. People complain about the poor acting, which is something else that made me nervous about watching it, but they all did a great job for musicians. Seeing Louis perform was fantastic, another reason to get this would be to see him. Great casting as well. Seeing James Gregory as the Priest was a real treat.

Well, it may be just me, but I really like this movie. I can't tell you that you'll love it right away, it's really a "hit or miss" type of thing. Depending on your taste and/or personality you might like it, you might not. The only thing I can tell you is to try it out and see for yourself.

But if I had to sum it up, I'd say, if you love Louis Prima and if you like fun carefree movies, I'd go with this one.

A Treasure Trove of Musical Delights

Author: mackjay from Out there in the dark
10 May 2000

Many have commented on the B-Movie quality of "Hey Boy, Hey Girl". Since the stars were not experienced actors, more challenging material may not have been wise. They both do quite well here, considering no one is watching for the acting. The main reason for watching is to see these incredibly talented, appealing entertainers captured on film at their peak. It is such a pleasure to hear Prima's wonderful blend of rhythm & blues and Italian-American pop. His energy is irresistable. As for Smith, the sheer beauty of the voice and the intelligence of her singing deserve more recognition.

Prima developed a kind of performance that entertains at a visceral level, while at the same time offering deep musical satisfaction. The jumping and swinging of his band in combination with Smith's famous dead-pan demeanor make an indescribable effect. The viewer wants them to go on forever.

"Hey Boy, Hey Girl" is a primary candidate for video release. And a DVD would be ideal for singling out the wonderful musical gems that this movie contains.

Hey Louis! Hey Keely!

Author: Rob Martinez (captainot@juno.com) from midwest, u.s.a.
8 February 2000

Like another commenter, I too saw this on AMC (a million thanks AMC!). However, I wasn't disappointed! When viewing "drive-in" movies of the 1950s and early 1960s, one shouldn't look for great acting or redeeming messages. Watch this for the performances of great artists such as Louis Prima and Keely Smith! Where else will you see the famed duo singing "Hey Boy! Hey Girl!" or to see Sam Butera and the Witnesses wail! I admit this is a cheesy movie and acting skills are mediocre at best. But when they stop acting and play songs, the movie immediately comes to life and for a brief moment, you are watching legends at work. Give it a shot and swing!

I liked Keely Smith so much.

Author: (floo@interactive.rogers.com) from Ottawa Canada
21 February 2002

I believe I saw this movie when it first hit the theatres. There are only two things I really remember about it.

First and above all - Keely Smith. I fell in love with that straight fringe of hair across her forehead and the unmoving expression. Still love her, though it's been a long long time.

My other recollection of the movie, if this title is the same one, is a marvellous long shot of the band cavorting across a field in single file, playing their instruments as they parade along.

That's all I recall, so I guess the rest of the film must have been rather forgettable.

But, Keely, you were unforgettable. Love you.

Poor film, good performances

Author: BobLib from Cherry Hill, New Jersey
17 February 2000

While the hackneyed plot of this film is no great shakes, by any means, it's a first class vehicle for its two stars, Louis Prima and Keely Smith, as performers. True originals at a time when there wasn't too much of that in the music biz, Prima and Smith were at the height of their popularity (and marriage) when they made this, their only film together. Prima's bouncy antics counterbalanced by Smith's "What am I doing here?" attitude can still entertain 42 years later. So, taken at that level, "Hey Boy! Hey Girl!" is definitely worth seeing once. For me, though, Prima and Smith's finest cinematic hours as individuals, anyhow, were in Disney's 1967 "The Jungle Book" and "Thunder Road," respectively.

Hey Boy! Hey Girl!

Author: malsby1 (malsby1@aol.com) from United States
10 December 2006

I have seen this movie on TV AMC I don't remember how long ago it was but it has been on my mind ever since. I am 90 years of age and when I was growing up that was the type music and dancing that I knew. And it brought back memories. I would like to buy the movie if I can. Hey Boy! Hey Girl!. After all these years I just happen to type in on my computer (Keely Smith name) and that is how I got here. Each and everyone should see this movie, It is great. When I was growing up I played trumpet in a dance band, and Louis Prima was the one that I looked too. Doing that time of life people were happy, they would be walking, humming, and singing, you didn't have to ask a person how are you feeling, you could tell my the smile on there face.

I absolutely loved this movie!

Author: simchapaya from Baltimore, Maryland
21 January 2001

I was in the hospital 82 days for spinal cord surgery in 2000. For the most part, I was knocked-out from medication. One evening in February 2000 on AMC, Hey Boy! Hey Girl! came on. I had never heard of Keely Smith or Louis Prima as yet, but I managed to remain awake during the entire film and it was the highlight of my hospital stay. This past summer, after learning to walk after being paralyzed, my husband and I went to Atlantic City and saw a duo imitating Louis Prima and Keely Smith. They were terrific. We met them and they said they would send me a copy of the movie, but never did, probably because it was never made into a VHS tape. I couldn't wait to show it to my husband who I know would love it, but it hasn't been on again, unfortunately. I have a CD with their greatest hits which I listen to constantly. The acting may not have been the best but it was a realistic picture and I hope to see it one day, again. It certainly wasn't a waste of time for me.

very enjoyable

Author: jrcasani from Los Angeles
11 May 2000

As a long time fan of Louis Prima and someone who went to Las Vegas to the Lounge just to watch the show, this movis brought back really fine memories. The movie itself was definitely class B, not much of a plot and not very good acting, but the music was the greatest. I could watch it a dozen times, especially if I can fast foward over the non music parts.

Fun fun fun!

Author: John Seal from Oakland CA
13 March 2000

Okay, the plot is paperthin, but who cares when you're watching one of the most unique performers in the history of pop music, Louis Prima. Was there another band of the time that could hold a candle to Sam Butera and the Witnesses? Maybe the Famous Flames. Sam's version of Fever is gone, dad, gone. WAY out. Anyone who loves rock n roll, jazz, or 50s pop needs to see this movie.

As a showcase of great music, it's a good movie.

Author: glassgirl10 from La-la-land
19 February 2000

It's not meant to be Showboat or American in Paris. It's a low budget movie that showcases the amazing musical talents of Keely Smith and Louis Prima. And it succeeds. Not familiar with their music, I promptly went out and bought 'Louis and Keely' and I have enjoyed the CD ever since.

As for the movie....it's a typical gee-whiz boy (okay, older man) meets girl with a heck of a singing voice. They cat and mouse it. They have conflict (baby brother feels neglected, she feels guilty) and they overcome it. Again, so what. Watch it for the music and the chemistry between Keely, Prima, and even Butera and the Whispers. A plus...seeing 'the old Inspector', Barney Miller's James Gregory as the priest.

Happy viewing!