IMDb > The Bridge (1959) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Die Brücke

The Bridge More at IMDbPro »Die Brücke (original title)

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

For me: the best anti-war-film

Author: Ucurian from Berlin, Germany
9 June 2002

First time I saw the film 1979, teenage aged in the boy-scout club. It was a great experience, because up to this time I read a lot of war-books and my sense of war was adventure. This film shows me the other side of war.

Last week I saw it again and I have nearly the same feelings. It's not important, if every detail is correct in the film. Important are the emotions, the film wakes by the viewers.

A youth cruelly ended from one minute to another

Author: CKDexter-4 from Trier, Germany
20 April 2002

Until today I hadn't seen "Die Brücke" for quite a few years. Today I was even more impressed than ever before. As powerful as possible, the movie shows how a carefree youth is ended in the cruellest way literally from one minute to another. The black and white cinemtography creates an eerie, yet laconic and realistic atmosphere. The whole film is to be highly recommended but there is one sequence that stands out (***SPOILERS AHEAD***): Trucks with hundreds of frightened, wounded German soldiers pass the bridge. They desperately try to stay ahead of the American tanks who follow them. You can tell from their faces what they have experienced on the front. They just want the war to be over. Our seven teen soldiers - fanatic and faithful as they have learned it in the Hitler Youth - just can't understand what's going on. No one bothers about them, so they are left for good on the bridge. And then they can hear the tanks. For some minutes the tanks can only be heard, what creates an incredible suspense.

One former comment criticized the "quiet life" in this town in the first half of the movie. I think this to be quite realistic. The town that is portrayed seems to have 10, maybe 20,000 inhabitants. Towns like this were not necessarily destroyed by bombs, even in 1945. In some rural areas, life went on day-by-day almost like in peace times.

mislead youths

Author: Martin Riexinger from Freiburg, Germany
9 February 2000

A number of German teenage boys are recruited for the "Volkssturm" in the final days of World War II.

Before they are just normal guys experiencing their first love or having a taste for adventure. This taste for adventure has been exploited by the regime who now tries to use their idealism for delaying the defeat of Germany. They boys think they will contribute to the "Endsieg".

A lieutenant who is like most other grown up persons in the film devoid of any enthusiasm makes a plan to secure them. But the "idealism" the Nazi regime has inculcated into them shatters his plans.

This film moves a generation of Germans growing up around 1960. I think its honors in demasking the Nazi regime among that generation can not be doubted. Therefore some flaws (some melodramatic scenes, mediocre acting by the boys) may be excused. (8/10)

Very emotional film

Author: Kevin Butler from Sudbury ON
26 April 1999

I caught this film last week on the History Channel and I was quite mesmerized by it. In some ways it reminded me of a Mark Twain Novel (I forget the name) about young boys, during the American Civil War, from the South who form a regiment and march to meet the Yankee foe. They begin with enthusiasm but as they get closer to the enemy the reality of what they are doing and risking (their lives) sets in and they disband and go home.

Unfortunately, for these young German kids they can't go home since the bridge they are defending is in their village. The action is intense and the scenes are very graphic, considering when this film was made. Unlike most war films this movie makes war to be what it really is - filthy and loathsome.

They don't make enough that even vaguely compare to this, anymore

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
10 September 2009

I was extremely fortunate to find this for sale, and immediately purchased it when I heard it compared to the likes of All Quiet on the Western Front, by someone I trust to know so. And he was absolutely right. This shows, with the ferocity of few others, how battle can destroy people, lives, families. The chaos of it is depicted perfectly. Plot, and script in general, is marvelous. The story doesn't span a long period of time, but the impressions are strong nonetheless. There is an incredible level of detail, and in 100 minutes, this tells you an immense amount, more than you would normally expect in such little time. The sheer authenticity is amazing, and it is partially due to the fact that this was made about fifteen years after WWII ended, by Germans(you do get the most out of this if you know a lot about them, during the time it takes place), and in their country and native tongue. Things remained relatively fresh in the memories, and it's astounding that this could be made, with the wounds still open. We follow a group of kids, enrolling in Hitlerjugend. I won't reveal anything else. The production values leave nothing to be desired. Dialog is well-written and delivered with compelling sincerity. The acting is flawless, every single performance is powerful. Characters are credible and consistent. This has extraordinarily high realism. On that, I suppose one could complain about the early scenes(and their lack of tension), as at least one reviewer does, however, apart from that, it's invariably spot-on, both physically and psychologically speaking. Also, this has excellent suspense, intensity and drama. Effects in this are almost exclusively convincing. There is bloody violence and disturbing content in this. I recommend it to any fan of anti-war films. Find it if you can. 10/10

Pointless...and that's a good thing.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
30 May 2011

While this film is not exactly up there with the the greatest anti-war films (such as "Fires on the Plain", 1959), it is exceptional and is an important movie because it tells a story about the utter futility of war--the type story that lacks heroism and is not likely to be celebrated in film.

The movie is set in a small and insignificant Bavarian town during the last couple weeks of WWII in Europe. Teenage boys throughout town are excited--they know that they soon will be called up to join the military in the defense of their nation. Despite being 100% pointless since the war was all but lost (Hitler himself had committed suicide the week before), the boys are happy about the prospect of getting their limbs blown from their bodies, as like most teens they feel invulnerable. And frankly, this youthful exuberance is not just sad....but pretty darn annoying! However, this cockiness is short-lived when they actually join the ranks. And what brilliant job will they have that will save the Reich? They'll stay in their very own hometown and guard a completely insignificant bridge. The last half of the movie consists of the battle for this worthless turf--and the utter pointlessness of it all becomes apparent to all. The ending is particularly poignant.

The film has very good acting and writing and is a great film to show kids, as it dissuades them from the mystique that war is fun or glorious--it's just a lot of death and gore. The only negatives I can think of are very minor, such as the kids in the film are actually OLDER than many conscripted during the final weeks--many were as young as 12 or 13 and as old as their 70s! In this film, the kids are all supposed to be about 16. The other minor is that the Sherman tanks don't really look like Shermans but Sherman-like tanks. Still, this is so very, very minor it only is worth saying to crazy old retired history teachers like me!

A very nteresting movie that everyone should view

Author: Dijaz Merzihic from Erie, PA, USA
31 March 2003

When I saw the title "Die Bruecke" I wasn't quite sure what to think. The title doesn't point out what the movie could be about, but when I watched it I found out why the title of the movie is "Die Bruecke". The movie was directed by Bernhard Wicky and in my opinion he has done an excellent job. "Die Brucke" is a classical movie but it has some qualities of some movies today. The preformance of the acting crew I found to be teriffic. "Die Brucke" is surely one of the most interesting movies I have ever viewed.

Dijaz Bernandin Merzihic March 31, 2003

Boys Town

Author: zolaaar from Berlin, GER
20 July 2008

A group of young students are ordered to protect a strategically totally unimportant bridge at the end of the war. The initial euphoria changes suddenly to fright while the Allies are entering. Probably one of the essential and most important anti-war films ever. Wicki convincingly captured the atmosphere of the last war days, this constant indecision between fear and hope and forlornness. Especially well made are the psychological portrays of the boys, their every day life in school, at home, within the clique and the mixture of real dedication and adventure mentality which leaves them to look at the war partly as national duty and partly as a romantic game. But as soon as the war collides with the life of the boys, the contrast between those close-ups of round-eyed, innocent child's faces and the churned up mud of the battlefield, as well as the bookish discourses of "courage" and "cowardice" makes the absurdity of the war pretty damn clear. Indeed, war is a game, but harrowing, arousing and bitter which has lost all gaily playfulness.

Some moments

Author: johan013 ( from Netherlands
26 February 2002

This film show the hard way the men live on. I now from older man in my town this was really happen. There a places in this country where you can see the reality. Some time i spend my holiday for looking something.

A remarkable achievement!

Author: Peter Oliver (
9 February 2002

It's hard to believe "Die Brucke" was made in 1959. I first saw it on TV many,many years ago as a teenager. I asked friends if they had seen it and the response was always "No". Years later I actually met someone who had seen it and held it in the same high regard. This movie is of a piece, in my view. It has no weaknesses that I'm aware of. Casting, cinematography, script etc. are all strong. Incredible! This film easily places in my "Top 10".

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]