IMDb > Anatomy of a Murder (1959) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Anatomy of a Murder

Anatomy of a Murder More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Interesting...really.

Author: Yara Saeed from Cairo
16 June 2011

The movie's happens in a small city during the late 1950's, where a lieutenant kills a man for raping his wife and asks James Stewart in the role of Paul Beigler, a lawyer, to defend him.

At first I didn't understand what was going on and that was for 10-15 mins maybe and then it became really interesting. I thought the story wasn't the greatest suspense ever, but the acting and the sequence of event kept it exciting.

The acting was really really good, thumbs up for James Stewart and Lee Remick (the raped wife). And I think I am falling in love with black and white movies, I am crazy about the lighting and use of shades. Although the movie is mostly set in the courtroom, the script of the trial is quite interesting, it keeps you wanting to know how will the prosecutor deal with the witnesses and what will happen next. It's simply a classic investigative movie, with a subtle sense of humor.

I also absolutely loved Lee Remick's fashion, this outgoing over the top (back then) clothes with high heels and the wavy hair, she is spectacular and is really pretty too.

You know what else was really interesting, it's the soundtracks, it old funky jazz, very cool, my favorite was actually the beginning with all the old cartoonish graphics, really enjoyable (a little pink panther kind of music).

Let's move to what I didn't like, I thought the movie is way too long 2:40! some scenes were kinda useless. I also wanted to leave the courtroom a little more and that's why I don't have a favorite scene. Also the ending is waaaaay too expected, it killed my buzz.

All in all it's a nice interesting movie, not sure how memorable it is, but it's exciting and funny. Would definitely recommend it.

its-lalas-land.blogspot.com

Not really about guilt or innocence

Author: Qanqor from United States
9 June 2008

I seem to have a somewhat different take on this movie than many. People are very hung up on the apparent moral ambiguity of the characters and ultimately, the movie. But I don't think that's the main point. This movie isn't really about whether or not the defendant is actually guilty or innocent.

The movie is really *about* Jimmy Stewart's character, Pauly, the lawyer. The whole deal here is that he *used* to be the prosecutor, but got voted out, and has now become a defense lawyer who isn't trying very hard to be a defense lawyer. He has no clients or cases to speak of and doesn't really seem to care, spending most of his time fishing. His friend chides him for it, recognizing how hard it is for him to have been booted out like that, but that none-the-less he's got to get on with being a lawyer. A *defense* lawyer, not a prosecutor, with the key inherent difference: a prosecutor can afford to be moral, concerned only with guilt and innocence, whereas a defense lawyer has to provide the very best defense possible for his client, innocent or not. That's his job, and you can't make any bones about it. His friend has to remind Pauly about that after the first meeting with the defendant lieutenant.

And so, the *real* issue is not, was the guy guilty or not; the real issue is: can Pauly really step up to the plate as a good defense attorney, and win a case where he *does* have to fudge, does have to use courtroom shenanigans, does have to overlook the moral ambiguity of his client and his wife. In short, does have to go all out to win the acquittal of a man who he probably has his own doubts about. To tell *this* story, of course the people and the facts of the case *do* have to be rather ambiguous. But the ambiguity isn't the point of the story. The role of a defense lawyer is. (and any one of you who ever for any reason needs to *hire* a defense lawyer will be very glad of that).

So in the end, the importance of the jury's verdict is not on whether or not the Lt. goes free, but simply on whether or not Pauly won the case. Having won the case, he's shown himself that he can do it, and so he doesn't even care that much when he finds that his client in the end has skipped town and stiffed him. Because he's clearly ready to get down to really being a lawyer, rather than a fisherman with a legal shingle out front. Really, the guilt or innocence of the client is just this movie's MacGuffin. That doesn't mean that all these other issues aren't interesting and thought-provoking. They're simply not the point of the movie.

one fine courtroom drama: epic, cool, extremely well-plotted and acted

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
9 March 2008

Otto Preminger's Anatomy of a Murder features a cast of some big stars (Jimmy Stewart, George C. Scott), and some notable character players (Ben Gazarra, Lee Remick, the underrated Murray Hamilton and Orson Bean), but the real big attraction for audience's is its 100% absorbing story and whole lot of characters (and, sometimes, those aforementioned actors playing them). It might remind some younger viewers of Law & Order, with it bearing a resemblance to Dick Wolf's show that is beat for beat as its sole fixation on the Facts In The Case. But unlike L&O, where any characterization is pretty much one-dimensional, Anatomy of a Murder is chock-full of development on the personalities, even for characters that appear on the witness stand for no more than five minutes.

Preminger also has the daring to add some touches of comedy, or at least some (for the time) risqué humor and language that rises it not simply above other more standard pictures, but into a realm of truth that reflects what it's like to be in a court-room for a case such as this (i.e. when the judge addresses the courtroom about the use of the word "panties", he's also addressing the audience- don't giggle, it's a serious word... even if you might giggle for it being almost self-conscious). The premise itself, 'the core' of it for lack of a better term as from what Stewart's lawyer uses at one point, is something out of vintage L&O: an ex army lieutenant (Gazarra) with a possible penchant for tempers and jealousy, kills a man who raped his wife one night driving her home from a bar. Guilty of the murder? Not quite, says Stewart's defense attorney and jazzman Biegler, who goes for the temporary insanity defense.

But past this premise, Preminger crafts a fascinating study of how character reflects everything during a trial, including (maybe even especially) that of the attorneys in question, who start to "provide the wisecracks" as the Judge says in deadpan. At first the case looks open and shut, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye, and not just in the traditional form of a courtroom drama where there's a last-minute twist and some surprises in store for the jury and other attendees in the courtroom. And, sure, there is the former of those, but everything builds up not based solely on the facts, but on what is revealed, the underlying tension and anxiety for all parties involved. Stewart, of course, is up to task in one of his quintessential performances. But least not forget Gazarra in a role that should've nabbed him an Oscar, and for Remick who's Laura is both sultry and vulnerable. And who can't love seeing Hamilton (the mayor from Jaws) on the stand, or George C. Scott give a somewhat subdued portrayal that provides one of the slickest, most cunning prosecution parts in movies. He literally oozes his character's big-city gumption.

Chock-full of snappy dialog that doesn't feel like it's been written for the usual MOVIE crowds (i.e. it is still a movie, but there's a lot that doesn't feel forced or contrived), and scenes that deliver on shifting tones between comedy and melodrama on a dime, Anatomy of a Murder is a near masterpiece. It even goes so far as to appear to have a happy ending, and then give just the hint of ambiguity, or inasmuch that we as the audience, unlike the jury, can't be totally sure what the outcome really is. It has its cake and eats it too, all to one of the great jazz scores in cinema by Mr. Ellington.

irresistible impulse

Author: tomloft2000 from United States
7 February 2007

i've now seen this movie about half a dozen times,and still enjoy it immensely.James Stewart gives a fine performance as country lawyer Paul Biegler who uses every trick in the book(mostly legal)to outfox the city slickers.the story itself seems like something out of everyday life,with the usual vagaries among the various characters.yes,Lee Remick's character seems to be overblown at times,but even the prosecution mentions her attractiveness at one point.as with most of the other parties involved,she comes across as neither entirely good or bad,but simply human.this film is over 21/2 hours but even with the deliberate pacing it seems to fly by.the jazz score by Duke Ellington seemed out of place(although i liked it)and began a trend in seemingly serious films(e.g.In Cold Blood)there was much controversy upon it's release,probably about the frank sexual language,but also about it's somewhat cynical view of our legal system.of course this is all passé nowadays but doesn't really matter.this is a film whose weaknesses are easy to overlook because of the passionate performances from everyone.i find this one guilty by reason of inspiration.

Not a mystery:)

Author: insightflow from Sofia, Bulgaria
22 January 2007

This is a brilliant film from Preminger; however, wrongly qualified as a "mystery"; while in fact it is closer to film noir. You've got a case of supposed rape, a trailer-thrash slut of a wife, and a dark suave husband who couldn't be trusted. The wife, "raped and bruised" by a bartender she fooled around with, the jealous husband kills him in rage, and a naive lawyer takes upon his defense. The film doesn't keep you guessing too much - do not expect twists and turns. The pleasure is elsewhere. The music by Duke Ellington adds greatly to it; you will even see him appearing. And I just loved a final line (remember, "gentlemen drink gin"): "I knew there was something wrong with that guy. I've never met a gin drinker yet you could trust!". 10 out of 10.

It's Okay If You Can Stand the Torture

Author: Casablanca3784 from 15th Row Orchestra
2 February 2013

This picture was nominated for seven Oscars. I would have nominated it for one more--the most boring picture of 1959. 2.5 hours of black and white boredom despite the always remarkable Jimmy Stewart but I will say this: the real Joseph Welch, the lawyer who got crazy Sen.Joe McCarthy in front of millions of TV watchers and disemboweled him, was an absolute pleasure to watch.A terrific actor and a terrific American. This film was all about missing panties which self-admittedly Lee Remick wore but not always. By the way, the film does not deal with the garment industry but rather with sexual violation. Ben Gazzara shoots and kills a bar owner who raped his wife; clear cut premeditated murder but Ben can't remember "nuthin.'Jimmy Stewart is a laid back lawyer having a miserable practice who's called on to save the day. George C. Scott is great as a hotshot prosecuting attorney but alas...the movie was the lousiest courtroom drama I ever saw.

6 out of 10

Author: preposterous
4 March 2005

I'm not crazy about this film. Despite the fact that it seems to get a good rating from everyone else, it doesn't work for me in a number of ways, numerous enough to begin counting.

1) The Jazz. It's noisy, brash, and unpleasant. Reminds me of Orson Welles' movie with Vivian Leigh, and I wasn't crazy about the sound in that one either. And speaking of the music, it's so obvious that Jimmy Stewart is miming at the piano. He isn't even trying. Music is just the beginning of misses for this movie tho.

2) It's never entirely clear what happened. I have to surmise that Lieutenant Manion struck his wife out of jealousy that she'd returned home having been with the bar owner and presumably Manion killed him as part of that same rage, but it's not clear to me that this is true. Therefore, it's not really clear to me what this movie is about. I prefer the ambiguity of the Big Sleep (which was already pretty ambiguous before a series of edits made it almost indiscernable). The diff is that in the Big Sleep, I felt like even if I didn't understand the exact turn of events, the characters were deeper and there was more to grab onto.

3) Parnell's character is pedantic and tiresome, and only grows more so by the end, with his oration about juries;

4) It's not clear to me how the prosecution failed to expose Manion's poor character to the jury. The prosecution barely asked him any questions save two. Manion should have been grilled. He should have been induced into a fit of anger, and the prosecution should have been able to clearly link it to his violent feelings for his wife. There relationship was a sham, and it's surprising to me that the prosecution couldn't reveal that.

5) I don't understand the pivotal scene where Mary Pilant admits finding white panties. Exactly what would torn panties be doing in the laundry? I can think of two reasons: 1) her father put them there

because he had done nothing wrong, or 2) someone else put them there as a frame. The prosecution did not pursue either idea carefully enough.

6) Jimmy Stewart had a whole fridge full of fish. Was his intention to throw a buffet, because fish only keeps 2-3 days in a fridge.

So these are just things off the top of my head, but there were more inconsistencies which bugged me. I'd say this film was not carefully planned. However, it does have Jimmy Stewart and George Scott in it. Murry Hamilton was also a strong point.

There are some things going for this film, but it's too hastily conceived to be one of my favorites. Still, I watch it from time to time.

Morally ambiguous courtroom drama

Author: nqure from North Wales, UK
22 March 2002

Clearly, Preminger intended this film to be morally ambiguous; the less than sympathetic accused, his slatternly wife etc. As other reviewers observed, the film's treatment of sensitive issues/taboos were quite groundbreaking, perhaps not so apparent in this modern day & age when such issues are so commonplace.

The film is almost procedural in its courtroom scenes, hence the film's length which perhaps hinders its overall dramatic intensity. The drama revolves less around a simplistic portrayal of good & evil, but is about the cynical uses/abuses of the legal system. I liked the manner in which the lawyers, both Beigler (Stewart) and Dancer (George C Scott) raise questions that are dubious, are warned by the Judge and apologise profusely for their indiscretions, only to reveal that this is a key technique used to plant doubt into the jurors' minds.

However, I found too many anomalies in the film. Laura Manion (Lee Remick) plays a woman who has allegedly been raped yet a few days later, her character is flirting with every man around. The plot slips into the proceedings ‘doubts' such as the location of the rape, a known ‘lovers-lane'. Yet I found Remick's depiction of a rape victim slightly disturbing. It is clear that rape victims suffer from shock and mental trauma, often withdrawing into themselves. Watching Remick, one is reminded of Jodie Foster's much more emotionally charged portrayal as a victim of a sex assault in ‘the Accused'. However, the lack of flashbacks in this film work to its advantage and maintain its air of ambiguity.

My second main criticism is that Beigler is never really certain about his client's innocence and whether anyone told the truth at all. The end is ironic after Manion (Ben Gazzara) exits suddenly, by saying that he had ‘an irresistible urge to leave', a witty play on the Army psychiatrist's explanation for his crime. In the film, James Stewart's character never really confronts the moral doubts that he maybe defending a man who is less than innocent. Perhaps we are expected to view Stewart's lawyer as a professional, like a doctor, both of whom treat cases with professional detachment.

The film's performances are outstanding including the supporting roles. I expect Stewart's role as a jazz-loving, idiosyncratic lawyer must have shocked his fans with his home-spun image suddenly confronted with the issue of rape and explicit post-mortems. I particularly liked George C. Scott, a complete contrast to Stewart's home-spun folksiness. Intense & belligerent, the courtroom scenes really do come alive when he cross-examines the witnesses. His expression of sudden disbelief after a key revelation – one that literally ends his case – is great to behold.

The Good & Bad Of 'Anatomy Of A Murder'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
8 August 2007

This is another one of these Liberals' favorites for several reasons. - ahead of its politically- correct era, actually - in which the writers conveniently overlook justice in favor of style with the let's-sympathize-with-the-criminal mentality. It also had a topic and some language that was new and "daring" for its era, which gained it more favor from the critics. Today, this would be like a Disney movie.

It's a courtroom drama film that lasts almost three hours, but in its day did such a good job of entertaining and shocking people that time was not a problem. I mean, audiences back then were not used to hearing details of women's panties! The story bogs down, panties aside, big-time in the middle, which was tolerated 50 years ago but wouldn't be today.

I found it fascinating, myself, but that was years ago. You can thank great acting and an interesting script for that. What it lacks, of course, is credibility (and justice).....but, hey, it's just a movie, right?

Jimmy Stewart and George C. Scott are terrific as competing attorneys. Liberal Hollywood always takes the side of the accused so you know Stewart's role is going to be the likable one, a la Perry Mason, Matlock, Atticus Finch, etc. Nonetheless, acting from everyone in here makes you riveted to the screen. The language also was quite shocking for a 1959 film, in addition to rape details. A few examples were hearing the words "bitch" and "sperm."

This story might have inspired all the "insanity pleas" that became popular afterward. If so, the film provided a negative service to this country. No one ever points out in the movie that - rage or not - you can't grab a gun and shoot somebody you're angry with and get away with it! Sometimes, that seems to be the message here.....that, somehow, that's okay. Well, as we know, it is permissible if your trial is in California.

Ben Gazzara plays "Frederick Manion," the accused and a very fortunate man. His flirtatious wife "Laura" (Lee Remick) claims she was raped. She isn't our normal idea of an innocent victim, and she's one that's hard to evoke sympathy from, but that's part of the dramatics. By the way, speaking of dramatics, Lana Turner was supposed to play that role but reportedly got into a big tiff with director Otto Preminger and left the project. (The two wound up slapping each other, reportedly.)

Back to the story: "Manion" says he was in a "trance" when he killed the guy and I guess that's good enough to believe if you talking to a jury filled with morons or you have the wonderful and always witty Jimmy Stewart defending you.

We also get the normal Hollywood exaggeration of the good-guy defense attorney doing all this work out of the goodness of his heart or for just a minimum fee. (I've never heard of one real-life lawyer like that. They want the money - all of it!) And we get longtime alcoholic who can suddenly stop his habit and help the defense attorney. You can nitpick this film to death with all the legal proceedings that would never be allowed, but are in here for dramatic reasons, but you can do that for almost any movie.

One other reason this film gets rated so highly by Left Wing critics is that the man who played the judge in the film was Joseph Welch, who was the actual judge who asked Sen. Joseph McCarthy if "he had no shame," making him instantly a hero to all Hollywood Liberals and film critics forever, all of whom hate McCarthy and his anti-Communism stance.

Believability and bias aside, it's still an entertaining film, especially for one so talky, and is recommended for people who love courtroom dramas and don't care how long it goes on, and appreciate acting at its best.

Completely overrated

Author: abum190 from United States
31 December 2006

I don't see the point of a movie that goes to great lengths to tell a story that says nothing. When you have the money to give attention to great production values and employ a top-notch cast, why would you waste it on a pointless story? I was only mildly entertained by this film, mostly thanks to Jimmy Stewart and his as-per-usual impeccable acting, but when the ending came and there was no payoff, I found that what little entertainment present was not satisfying enough to make up for it.

Good ol' Jimmy Stewart is Paul Biegler, a lawyer that was recently ousted from his position as district attorney by some younger blood. Biegler comes upon the case of Lt. Manion (Ben Gazzara), accused of murdering the man that raped his wife (Lee Remick), and Biegler, hesitant at first, decides to take it, defending Manion with an insanity plea. This insanity plea could have led to some good drama, indicting the justice system as containing too many loopholes for guilty men. Instead, the movie continues the story without focusing on this and misses the chance to make the point.

Here at the beginning, the movie shows promise. The actors prove to be very good from the very start. Stewart, who was often unjustly accused of lacking versatility, is actually quite different from the George Bailey everyone knows; the difference in Stewart's characters is always subtle, but it's there nonetheless, and he received an Oscar nomination for his subtlety. Here he seems weathered and jaded, but still good-natured and sensible. Lee Remick begins the movie wonderfully as a carefree femme fatale who doesn't properly react to her husband's incarceration. The scenes between Remick and Stewart are the best in the movie as she flirts with him and seemingly looks to seduce him; however, the film doesn't follow through on this, as with so many other things. Halfway through the movie, the script seems to forget that Stewart and Remick had such good chemistry and removes from our sight any juicy scenes with the two of them.

The trial part of the movie is entertaining enough, even though it falls into the cliché of overly loud laughter from the court audience whenever the judge or attorney makes a joke, but it still left me longing for more. George C. Scott, who was nominated for an Academy Award inexplicably, adds barely anything to the movie. Scott is definitely a great actor (see Patton), but he's greatly underused here as the lawyer the district attorney brings in to help with the case. All he manages to get across is that his character is a snob.

And then at the end of the trial, the ruling is given and that's that. Is it too much to expect something more from a movie? I understand there are movies that are made specifically for entertainment, but this is not one of them- there is nothing so entertaining here to rest an entire movie on it. I know it's adapted from a novel so I don't really know if the author of the book is to blame or the filmmakers, but it doesn't really matter who's to blame- the movie still isn't good.