IMDb > "The Flying Doctor" (1959) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Flying Doctor" More at IMDbPro »

Amazing, For Its Time!

Author: neill-conroy from Kanata, ON Canada
7 September 2013

This show was shown in Canada for quite a while, and I can recall our entire family (6 kids + parents!) gathering in the living room and elbowing for room to sit and watch it. I recall that it was impressive because, unlike most shows at the time which were mostly sound stage or variety shows, it took place in many locations including outdoors in the countryside, obvious from the panoramas. We all loved it and were not impressed when it was cancelled.

I recall that the acting was consistent - we were intrigued by the Australian accents - and the story lines seemed to be believable. I can recall researching the show and being quite impressed that the Flying Doctor Service actually existed. I cannot help but believe that a new series based on the Service, with modern cinematography and special effects like CGI, would be successful and would frame the Service in a great light.

Did Ralph Smart work on The Flying Doctor?

Author: David Anthony (jackcade@hotmail.com) from Australia
31 May 2006

I read in a television reference book that Ralph Smart had worked as a producer on the 1959 series of The Flying Doctor. Can someone confirm if this is true? If he did it is likely he worked on the series as a writer as well. Episode guides on websites do not mention Ralph's name in connection with this series, but producer and writers are not always credited.

He supposedly worked on Whiplash as well, but without confirmation, I am not sure about this. He was involved in the development of Whiplash and had even interviewed Clint Eastwood for the role eventually played by Peter Graves. I read on a website he resigned shortly after the first episode was completed. Can someone confirm this for me please?