IMDb > Wind Across the Everglades (1958) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wind Across the Everglades More at IMDbPro »

Wind Across the Everglades

Author: weismuller888 from United States
6 July 2005

I first saw this film as a youngster, and it had a huge impression on me. As this movie showed on TV semi regularly back then I watched it many times. I was blown away the first time and every other time I saw it. With each re-watching I always picked up on new things I'd missed or didn't understand before, I was a kid after all.

Wind Across the Everglades invokes raw power, beauty, commitment, wilderness, redemption, morality, Human Nature, Nature.

This movie really needs to be re-released on DVD. I haven't seen it in maybe 36 years or more, but still consider it a major "Classic" that has everything going for it..great acting, great story, a non-partisan moral.

Early Florida......a great flick

Author: galwyn13 (galwyn13@aol.com) from Bonita Springs, Fl, USA
13 November 2000

I remember seeing this film in 1961 at a local drive in theater.As a native Floridian I enjoyed it very much,especially since it was filmed nearby in Naples, Florida.To me it was an accurate depiction of how life was back then. Poaching was common,wildlife officers and environmentalists were fighting a losing battle against it. It showed Florida as it was at the turn of the century,when it was young and wild. This movie is truly a treasure of history in this area. I have been hoping it would be re-released for many years but to no avail. It is a shame that it cannot be viewed by our children.I would greatly appreciate owning a copy of this great film. Skip Kent,Bonita Springs, Fl.

An important movie that never got the exposure it deserved

Author: (paddycoen@yahoo.ie) from Ireland
30 January 2006

For it's time, I considered it original, thought-provoking, and typical of Schulberg's quirky, off-beat style. I would rate "Wind Across the Everglades", as a movie ahead of it's time, given it's now much-debated theme. I still remember--after almost 40 years---Burl Ives speaking lines which included the phrase "A man's an eel", or did I hear it right? Finally, it was the first film in which I ever saw ChristopherPlummer. I would dearly love to see it again, but it's seldom on television, and in my home town of Sligo, in the Irish Republic, it is not available on video or DVD. Well,that's about wraps my comment. Goodbye, and thank you Paddy Coen.

A must see..if you can find it

Author: sirk46 from United States
6 May 2006

Taken in the context of the 'feather' craze that almost decimated the birds of the Everglades at the turn of the 20th Century, this movie -almost- presaged Rachel Carson and Marjorie Stoneman Douglas. A moving depiction of the River Of Grass, those who lived WITH it and those who tried to DESTROY it. Christopher Plummer and Burl Ives gave this movie a depth that seemed effortless It deserved a wider release and I can only hope it will be issued as a DVD. It was based upon a true story of a federal wildlife ranger. The Manchineal trees have been displaced by Malelucas, what a pity, I would rope all the inhabitants of South Florida to the formers caustic trunks and enjoy he howls of pain

Beautiful unknown foreign film Nicholas Ray

Author: psagray from Spain
14 December 2011

Remarkable film of the legendary director Nicholas Ray, who despite his virtues be a film is almost unknown, perhaps because of its purely exotic and unusual. Based on a script written and produced by the great writer Budd Schulberg, who apparently greatly annoyed Ray on the set, even to complete filming and personally supervise the assembly, the final film is strangely personal, an adventure film, wildly romantic and environmentalist, which affects the taste of the author by "outsiders", men who choose to live by their own rules (spelled out in the sequence of drunkenness), narrating the battle and recognition between a young idealist and quarrelsome, Plummer While playing a rare hero who will be responsible for protecting the birds and the natural reserve area, and the legendary hunter "Cottonmouth" huge Burl Ives, a kind of incarnation of the swamps, red-bearded god thundering and pirate honorable living free with his cohort of underprivileged and villains, in the twilight of a fading time.

Strangely fever, beautifully photographed (chaired by a bright green and watery), with an exemplary atmosphere with a very elaborate staging, a job to rediscover, unbalanced and flawed but unforgettable.

Whose movie is this, anyway!

Author: antcol8 from United States
10 August 2009

The Final Battle...

No, not Ecologists vs. Poachers...

But the real battle!

Auteurists vs. Writer-Driven Cinema!

The showing in NY was a trip, with a Schulberg relative coming to the showing - at a Nicholas Ray retrospective, no less! - to announce that this was not only NOT a Nicholas Ray film, but CLEARLY a Schulberg film (this was simply bad manners, given the occasion). And she went on to talk about how drug-addled Ray was during the shooting (that was worse than bad manners, given the occasion).

Anyway...if you care...

Lots of Ray stuff: the created "family unit" of outlaws, with their twisted bonhomie and their rituals; the sense that living in a particular "natural" environment creates an alternative sense of right and wrong, and that someone who enters into that environment has to confront this other reality, even if it goes against his or her belief system. Christopher Plummer finds himself in a position akin to that of Peter O'Toole in The Savage Innocents, Robert Ryan in On Dangerous Ground,Susan Hayward in The Lusty Men.

On the other hand...lots of stagy soliloquies, lots of scenes which don't get to really inflect; they just make their plot points and move on. One can imagine a lot of footage which was discarded because it didn't "advance the story".

Some beautiful swamps and animals.

It's a real mess - but a beautiful mess.

Film-making...it can be a real heartbreak for the directors who believe in their personal vision.

Hothouse decadence meets missionary zeal

Author: scotmistro from Los Angeles, CA
2 November 2007

I saw this title as a young boy (7 or 8) and got seriously warped by its palpably sensual cinematography and scenes of fetishistic violence. It takes place in fin de siecle Florida with Burl Ives as the head of a bunch of exotic bird poachers and Christopher Plummer as the driven game warden trying to shut down their action. The violence I remember is a fight between Plummer and one of Ive's gang called 'Jockey' who lays about Plummer viciously with a riding crop before Plummer beats the crap out of him in a pool of ankle deep muck. Ives picks up the half-dead Jockey (who always wears riding silks) and carries his senseless, mud-drenched form as tenderly as a child, "You can sleep in my bed tonight, Jockey" he says - creepy as hell. In another scene a man is tied to a 'poison tree' and left overnight to die, screaming. The next morning we see his body, still tied to the tree, his face covered with oozing blisters. Horrible. And yep, I'd love to see this flick again!

A bit uneven but acceptable .......

Author: merklekranz from United States
15 December 2013

Burl Ives and his band of lowlife bird poachers are the equivalent of the "rednecks" in "Deliverance". Christopher Plummer on the other hand is their Audobon Society adversary, trying to protect the tropical birds and their valuable feathers. When the movie is in the Everglades, it moves along at a pretty good pace, while the Miami scenes feel padded. I'd imagine there has to be at least a bunch of fashionable ladies parading around in their feathered hats to make a point, but the scene on the beach and Gypsy Rose Lee's ladies of the evening are somewhat overplayed. The film is strongest when Ives and Plummer are on screen, almost everyone else is forgettable. I would rate this only slightly above average, but definitely watchable. - MERK

A movie ahead of its time..

Author: dbdumonteil
23 January 2008

And in Nicholas Ray's canon,it's not the only one.Few directors (if there were any) displayed ecological concern fifty years ago.Maybe John Huston did when he filmed the plight of the elephants in "roots of Heaven" at the time.But it was not as successful as "wind across the everglades.

They say Ray did not finish the film (once again it was not the only one;see also "55 days at Peking" )but ,apart from his plea for the everglades wildlife,we find one of his permanent features:the Walt/Cottonmouth relationship is very complex and verges on a father and son one (for that matter ,see also " knock on any door" "the lusty men" " run for cover" ..) The picture with these birds flying away is sublime.

Demented but very entertaining

Author: JasparLamarCrabb from Boston, MA
25 October 2012

Playing like a demented cross between Fellini & Lil' Abner, Budd Schulberg's & Nicholas Ray's film features Christopher Plummer in one of his first roles. He plays an ornithologist working in the Florida Everglades and attempting to stop swamp gangster Burl Ives & his goons from pouching the bird population. Ives is ruthless but Plummer proves a worthy adversary. Director Ray and writer Schulberg create quite a potboiler leading up to an all-night moonshine drink-off between Plummer & Ives. The actors are all perfect (among Ives's posse is a young Peter Falk and a make-up-less Emmett Kelley). Curt Conway plays the "prefesser." The art direction is by Richard Sylbert & the stunning cinematography is by Joseph C. Brun, who later shot FLIPPER (also filmed in the Sunshine state).