IMDb > The Crawling Eye (1958) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Trollenberg Terror

The Crawling Eye More at IMDbPro »The Trollenberg Terror (original title)

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

One Of My All Time Favorites

Author: Michael Stevens from United States
24 March 2005

I won't get into the story line-- you've read the other reviews. This is one of my all time favorite sci-fi movies which combines great acting with tight direction and a wonderful claustrophobic atmosphere. Forrest Tucker is in top form, barking out orders and taking control of a desperate situation facing the village. It's fun to watch his on-screen character as his motions and gestures belie his get-tough attitude when it comes to dealing with the nature of the gruesome deaths which face the villagers. One or two "inside jokes" might sail past most viewers (one that comes to mind is at the very beginning of the film when one mountain climber shouts to the other, "who is it Jim, the Abominable Snowman?", referring to Forrest Tucker's 1957 film.) One wonderful, often overlooked scene also occurs early in the film when the group meets for a drink prior to the two climbers going up the mountain. The scene centers around a discussion of "roping" and really sets up the atmosphere for what is to come-- it's a wonderfully done scene. By today's standards, the special effects may not hold up well, but given all the other positive factors which surround this production, the film stands as a tribute to 1950's sci-fi/horror.

X-Files, 1950s style. But better!

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
2 May 2005

I have a huge and very soft spot for 1950s sci-fi films with freakish aliens and/or monsters. Be forewarned - my view of this film is definitely colored by my unhealthy interest in these films.

This is a true archetypal classic of the genre.

*** Weird psychic sisters, *** alien mystery clouds, *** giant creeping cyclopes with tentacles, *** secret government agencies investigating the paranormal, *** possession, *** zombies, ***

Forest Tucker(!)

- it's all here.

This is a very entertaining low-fi, low-brow, B/W monster movie. I am convinced that the writers were asked to include every element of contemporary supernatural, sci fi and imaginative fiction stories and, kudos to them - they pulled it off! Stephen King's Dreamcatcher owes a huge debt to this beauty. If you think about it, Dreamcatcher is almost a rewrite of this film, with aliens that are just a little less ridiculous and a different narrative. And the biggest surprise of all - Forest Tucker can act! His F Troop character was not the only personality in his repertoire!

Remarkably, the absurdity of the plot is not used as an excuse for exceedingly bad special effects.

This is a little gem of a 50s pulp film. It's goofy as hell, fun, well executed, and well worth a sleepless night. Far more entertaining that the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and many others.

Great movie, bad eyeball

Author: John Campbell (antinous@dc.rr.com) from Palm Springs
27 August 2002

A well directed film that really gives you the creeps - until the end, when the special effects give you a cramp from laughing. Two scenes stand out as exceptional. An alien-possessed climber returns to the lodge and tries to act human, without success. It could be slapstick but is quite chilling. After the lodge is evacuated, there is a very long, slow pan of the empty room which is extraordinarily eerie. The dramatic appearance of the actual crawling eyes at the end of the film really outcamps most other campy special effects in this genre. This film should not be missed by anyone who loves great terrible films.

Loved this one

Author: Aujouret
25 May 2003

I saw this film, The Crawling Eye, on TV as a kid back in the very early 60s. Scared me to death. They keep the goodies from you until almost the end. Creepy. Kind of gross. I remember the mountain climbers at the very beginning of the flick: Why did you let go of the rope? Didn't you see him? His head was gone!! Don't miss this one- it's fun.

The Eyes have it, or maybe have it!

Author: jcholguin (jcholguin@lycos.com) from los angeles
24 February 2003

When growing up in the sixties, one cannot forget a flick that has huge eyeballs moving around and wonderful music to match the eyes in action. I had seen giant ants, lizards, flies and wasps but not eyeballs. The opening scenes with two men mountain climbing in the cold and then one becoming decapitated was a true "eye-grabber." Eyes outside of an observatory and cracking a hole in a cement wall with long tentacles was very exciting for a little boy. Watching Philip Truscott hanging by his neck, kicking and fighting an eye tentacle was one of the many highlights of this film. The ending with the jets was a little weak, because it looked really fake but overall you will enjoy this "eye-popping" feature.

An under-appreciated gem.

Author: Timothy L. Fox from Frankfort, IN
31 October 1999

This film has too much bad rap. Most people just pass it off as another "bad 50's sci-fi flick". You want bad? See THE CRAWLING HAND or BRIDE OF THE MONSTER.

The plot, adapted from the BBC teleserial, brings our attention to Forrest Tucker an American who bears a striking resemblance to Paul Birch. Anyway, he meets a touring telepathic sister act including Jennifer Jayne and Janet Munro (star of plenty of Disney flicks; and mother of Caroline Munro?). After stopping at a small town in Switzerland called Trollenberg, Forrest goes up to a secret lab and meets a goofy German scientist, in which he reveals he came to this place to study a radioactive, stationary cloud. What's inside? Well, if you can't tell from the title, there's no hope for you. In terms of acting, suspense, and writing (courtesy of Hammer regular Jimmy Sangster), this film holds up pretty well today. But the effects are mediocre, but cool-looking; the eyes emit a cool sound when attacked. But there are some stretches of belief: Forrest doesn't act like he knows what the cloud is, and yet later we find out he dealed in a similar experiment in The Andes! But some creepy moments later make up for this, like the beginning sequence, in which the group of students find their friend headless. (But how could he scream when he was falling if his head was already chopped off? Oh Well.)

Still, this film does make for some funny spoofs, like the imitation on the cartoon FREAKAZOID and being notable as the first movie ever made fun of by MST3K. It must be a step forward somehow.

I like it!

Author: Sally Todd
18 September 2003

What a fun movie. The goofiest monsters ever! This is late night shock theater at it's best. A minor classic that delivers all the b-movie thrills you expect. The cast is wonderful, and the sets are superb. You can't go wrong with this DVD.

Good Drive In Movie

Author: japhryder1 from United States
5 July 2005

I kind of liked this movie for all of it's B movie glory. It's a great 50s sci-fi movie. It's a little boring but I thought the monster was pretty good. A great late night or after noon viewing, not even all that scary. Good solid drive in movie or the kind of movie that you would watch on TV late at night. I laughed at various points during the movie but they did a pretty good job with the monster. Even though, it's kind of boring, it's good to watch if you like schlock movies from the 50s like I do. I wish it had been a little more entertaining and scary. But I do have affection for the movies of this period. You can tell that they were trying to keep the cost down. The acting was okay, what you would expect to find in these types of movies. All around fun and excitement for a lazy afternoon.

Warren Mitchell

Author: P. Ingerson from United Kingdom
17 August 2005

I can't believe that none of the reviews here have talked about the fact that Warren Mitchell co-stars. Yes, THAT Warren Mitchell, before he became famous for playing Alf Garnett. Forget about Forrest Tucker and all the others. If you're a fan of Mitchell's sitcom work, you should see this film just to get some idea of how his career got started.

It's a good job Mitchell didn't have to keep doing Swiss-German accents in future roles. He's a good actor, but can't really do any accent except for cockney! But if you can ignore his dodgy accent, he turns in a great little performance here.

And it's quite a good film too. Nothing special, but nothing awful either. The only really crap thing about it is the effects of the crawling eyes themselves. Luckily they don't appear until over halfway through, and by then we're already hooked by the performances and atmosphere.

That's one reason why I've always preferred the real title, "The Trollenburg Terror". Why did the Americans rename it after the WORST part of the film? I can just imagine American audiences getting impatient ("So, how long until we see this crawling eye?") and then being very disappointed when it finally appears! What were the distributors thinking?

Fresh Air!

Author: PeterWarnes from San Diego
20 September 2002

Ah, the glowing cloud! The swirling paperweight!

I've always had an affection for "The Trollenberg Terror" -a.k.a.- "The Crawling Eye." It occupies a perfectly decent niche between "X The Unknown" (Jimmy Sangster writes science-fiction in the '50s) and "The Abominable Snowman" (Forrest Tucker faces fear in a handful of ... snow), and I won't hear a word against it.

Still and all, there *is* one inadvertently funny moment (SPOILER ALERT) which no one seems to have commented upon. It's the finale, the Venusians have been fire-bombed, the Earth has been saved yet one more time, and the protagonists are finally able to emerge from their mountain bunker. And what, as the interplanetary barbecue proceeds apace, does heroine Janet Munro say?

Unless memory deceives, what she says is: "Let's step out for a breath of -- fresh air!"

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]