IMDb > The Crawling Eye (1958) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Trollenberg Terror

The Crawling Eye More at IMDbPro »The Trollenberg Terror (original title)

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

One Of My All Time Favorites

Author: Michael Stevens from United States
24 March 2005

I won't get into the story line-- you've read the other reviews. This is one of my all time favorite sci-fi movies which combines great acting with tight direction and a wonderful claustrophobic atmosphere. Forrest Tucker is in top form, barking out orders and taking control of a desperate situation facing the village. It's fun to watch his on-screen character as his motions and gestures belie his get-tough attitude when it comes to dealing with the nature of the gruesome deaths which face the villagers. One or two "inside jokes" might sail past most viewers (one that comes to mind is at the very beginning of the film when one mountain climber shouts to the other, "who is it Jim, the Abominable Snowman?", referring to Forrest Tucker's 1957 film.) One wonderful, often overlooked scene also occurs early in the film when the group meets for a drink prior to the two climbers going up the mountain. The scene centers around a discussion of "roping" and really sets up the atmosphere for what is to come-- it's a wonderfully done scene. By today's standards, the special effects may not hold up well, but given all the other positive factors which surround this production, the film stands as a tribute to 1950's sci-fi/horror.

X-Files, 1950s style. But better!

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
2 May 2005

I have a huge and very soft spot for 1950s sci-fi films with freakish aliens and/or monsters. Be forewarned - my view of this film is definitely colored by my unhealthy interest in these films.

This is a true archetypal classic of the genre.

*** Weird psychic sisters, *** alien mystery clouds, *** giant creeping cyclopes with tentacles, *** secret government agencies investigating the paranormal, *** possession, *** zombies, ***

Forest Tucker(!)

- it's all here.

This is a very entertaining low-fi, low-brow, B/W monster movie. I am convinced that the writers were asked to include every element of contemporary supernatural, sci fi and imaginative fiction stories and, kudos to them - they pulled it off! Stephen King's Dreamcatcher owes a huge debt to this beauty. If you think about it, Dreamcatcher is almost a rewrite of this film, with aliens that are just a little less ridiculous and a different narrative. And the biggest surprise of all - Forest Tucker can act! His F Troop character was not the only personality in his repertoire!

Remarkably, the absurdity of the plot is not used as an excuse for exceedingly bad special effects.

This is a little gem of a 50s pulp film. It's goofy as hell, fun, well executed, and well worth a sleepless night. Far more entertaining that the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and many others.

Loved this one

Author: Aujouret
25 May 2003

I saw this film, The Crawling Eye, on TV as a kid back in the very early 60s. Scared me to death. They keep the goodies from you until almost the end. Creepy. Kind of gross. I remember the mountain climbers at the very beginning of the flick: Why did you let go of the rope? Didn't you see him? His head was gone!! Don't miss this one- it's fun.

Great movie, bad eyeball

Author: John Campbell (antinous@dc.rr.com) from Palm Springs
27 August 2002

A well directed film that really gives you the creeps - until the end, when the special effects give you a cramp from laughing. Two scenes stand out as exceptional. An alien-possessed climber returns to the lodge and tries to act human, without success. It could be slapstick but is quite chilling. After the lodge is evacuated, there is a very long, slow pan of the empty room which is extraordinarily eerie. The dramatic appearance of the actual crawling eyes at the end of the film really outcamps most other campy special effects in this genre. This film should not be missed by anyone who loves great terrible films.

The Eyes have it, or maybe have it!

Author: jcholguin (jcholguin@lycos.com) from los angeles
24 February 2003

When growing up in the sixties, one cannot forget a flick that has huge eyeballs moving around and wonderful music to match the eyes in action. I had seen giant ants, lizards, flies and wasps but not eyeballs. The opening scenes with two men mountain climbing in the cold and then one becoming decapitated was a true "eye-grabber." Eyes outside of an observatory and cracking a hole in a cement wall with long tentacles was very exciting for a little boy. Watching Philip Truscott hanging by his neck, kicking and fighting an eye tentacle was one of the many highlights of this film. The ending with the jets was a little weak, because it looked really fake but overall you will enjoy this "eye-popping" feature.

Danger up the mountain

Author: Chris Gaskin from Derby, England
27 October 2004

This movie is known either as The Crawling Eye or The Trollenberg Terror. For this review, I will refer to it as The Crawling Eye, which is the title on the copy I have.

Strange killings start to occur at the Swiss mountain resort of Trollenberg and a team of people travel to investigate them. These include an American scientist, and two women: a mother and her telepathic daughter. A strange radioactive cloud is discovered on the mountain and the killings occur when that cloud moves. The killings turn out to be the work of strange alien tentacled creatures with one large eye. The creatures are killed at the end and everyone is safe.

The movie's special effects are OK for a low budget movie and the eye creatures look good. The movie is rather gory at times for its period and is also very creepy at times.

The cast includes Forest Tucker (The Abominable Snowman), Janet Munro (The Day the Earth Caught Fire), Warren Mitchell (Unearthly Stranger, Till Death Us Do Part) and Jennifer Jayne (They Came From Beyond Space). All play good parts.

I rather enjoyed this movie and is a must for 1950's sci fi fans like myself.

Rating: 3 and a half stars out of 5.

An under-appreciated gem.

Author: Timothy L. Fox from Frankfort, IN
31 October 1999

This film has too much bad rap. Most people just pass it off as another "bad 50's sci-fi flick". You want bad? See THE CRAWLING HAND or BRIDE OF THE MONSTER.

The plot, adapted from the BBC teleserial, brings our attention to Forrest Tucker an American who bears a striking resemblance to Paul Birch. Anyway, he meets a touring telepathic sister act including Jennifer Jayne and Janet Munro (star of plenty of Disney flicks; and mother of Caroline Munro?). After stopping at a small town in Switzerland called Trollenberg, Forrest goes up to a secret lab and meets a goofy German scientist, in which he reveals he came to this place to study a radioactive, stationary cloud. What's inside? Well, if you can't tell from the title, there's no hope for you. In terms of acting, suspense, and writing (courtesy of Hammer regular Jimmy Sangster), this film holds up pretty well today. But the effects are mediocre, but cool-looking; the eyes emit a cool sound when attacked. But there are some stretches of belief: Forrest doesn't act like he knows what the cloud is, and yet later we find out he dealed in a similar experiment in The Andes! But some creepy moments later make up for this, like the beginning sequence, in which the group of students find their friend headless. (But how could he scream when he was falling if his head was already chopped off? Oh Well.)

Still, this film does make for some funny spoofs, like the imitation on the cartoon FREAKAZOID and being notable as the first movie ever made fun of by MST3K. It must be a step forward somehow.

I like it!

Author: Sally Todd
18 September 2003

What a fun movie. The goofiest monsters ever! This is late night shock theater at it's best. A minor classic that delivers all the b-movie thrills you expect. The cast is wonderful, and the sets are superb. You can't go wrong with this DVD.

Wonderful

Author: zorro2a from United Kingdom
11 February 2006

The Crawling Eye or as l have always know it The Trollenburg Terror and a much better title the former, this is just wonderful, Forrest Tucker (American Import to sell the film in the States) over acts as usual but in a restrained way, Laurence Payne is the younger handsome hero, and looks who is the professor Warren Mitchell in his pre Alf Garnet days, l hope this is not a spoiler but l have to say that the Terror of the title must have cost all of 67pence to make, hahaha, it is just real tack, but it is so bad that it is good and one of my all time favorites, l have just seen it as l write this and it's the first time for maybe 25 years, and it still held me spellbound, the thing l do like about it is that you have to wait to see the monsters, and that provides a lot of scope to build up the tension, if you get the chance to see what a real horror film was like in the 50's try and watch it if l ever comes on TV, l give it 10 out of 10

9 of 10 popcorn kernels for this 50's classic

Author: Dr Phibes from United States
15 February 2009

(some of the details discussed my be considered "spoilers" for anyone unfortunate enough that they have not already seen this movie... several times)

The Crawling Eye is both excellent sci-fi and a study in the psychology of 50's culture.

Only the special effects suffer in this B&W classic, though not badly for the era. Produced in the atmosphere of the dawning nuclear age it was a pioneering effort, speculating on the possibility of life on other worlds. Special effects at the time were limited for the most part to chocolate syrup for theatrical blood and scaled miniatures and backdrops to add depth to a studio scene, and silly rubber costumes. The fact that the monsters seem a little artificial shouldn't spoil this film for anyone.

The storyline is quite brilliant for the era. Xenobiology and serious scientific speculation on the nature of life, what form it might take, how it might look, didn't exist yet. We had only our imaginations and the understanding that life on other worlds would likely be very different... a huge bulbous brain/eye with tentacles, was as valid at that time as any other guess, and it was creepy, gross, and unexpected. What the Crawling Eye was NOT, more than anything else... was a monster that looked like some poor guy dressed up in 50 pounds of latex.

Comments by scientific giants of the day that discounted the notion that intelligent life was unique to Earth as hubris, became the seed for the wonderful Sci-fantasy stories that followed. The possibility that we might not really be alone, but drama requires a villain. The bigger the threat, the greater and more dramatic the effort required to overcome it.

We had just finished a horrible world war, Russia had gone from our ally to our most powerful enemy almost overnight, unrest stirred in Asia as Korea was embroiled in civil war and we replaced these threats in cultural fiction with much more fearful threats. More terrible than Hitler and Stalin combined, alien life with advanced technologies beyond our understanding, space flight, tremendous intellect, and inhuman evil provided the antagonist. Once again the Earth was saved not by brilliance, or super weapons, but by heroism, stalwart character, and the refusal to submit to tyranny... The paragon of western values. Our fictional monsters had to be more horrible than life, because we'd already beaten Hitler... and we really had to dig down into our imaginations to find something more evil, more cunning, and more horrible to defeat... We found it for the moment in a tentacled abomination with one huge eye and the force of will to control men's thoughts, even onto death.

I suggest a large box of popcorn, a soda in a too large leaky paper cup and more ice than necessary, and a bit of gum or a milk-dud stuck to the seat for the full effect.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]