IMDb > The Littlest Hobo (1958) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Littlest Hobo More at IMDbPro »

essentially Route 66 with a dog instead of two guys

Author: aln10 from United States
24 July 2009

I saw this movie in a theater in Nebraska when I was a child. Don't recall much about the movie itself this many years later, but I've never forgotten that day. It was my first brush with celebrity. The dog star of the movie (we were told it was THE dog) made a personal appearance at the theater. The dog performed a number of tricks on stage, even typing on a typewriter. I came away with a paw-printed glossy photo of the dog, which I kept for years. I wonder if anybody else out there got to meet The Littlest Hobo in "person." I've never seen the film since, and didn't know till I looked it up on IMDb that there had been a television version. It remains among the most lively of my black and white memories.

"Lassie" type movie

Author: DTVTEMP from United States
24 June 1999

Nice, old time family film in B&W that follows a very smart and shrewd stray German Shepard dog which moves from town to town by hopping boxcars and freight trains (like a hobo). The dog saves a farm animal from slaughter, helps a crippled child in the process, and teaches a small farm boy about letting go of possessions.

Saw it when I was a kid

Author: preppy-3 from United States
30 March 2009

Back in the 1970s a local TV station used to broadcast obscure little b&w movies (like this) as filler during the afternoon. (Another one was "Carnival of Souls" which is now regarded as a classic.) I caught this when I was about 10 or so and loved it. The story was silly and the acting was really pretty awful (even for a kids movie) but it moved fairly quickly and the dog himself was just great! I also found the idea of this dog traveling from town to town by train and helping people kind of interesting and it seems it was actually a TV series for a while! I don't really want to see it again because I'm positive I'd find it hysterically bad now but it does bring back some good childhood memories. Kids are the best audience for this--especially ones who love dogs. A 7.

old WGN favorite, nice soundtrack

Author: drrandy-1 from Soquel, CA
1 October 2009

They showed this movie frequently on WGN in Chicago when I was a child (early-mid 60's). It was a favorite of mine then, though I have not seen it in about 45 years. My memory is that it had very little dialogue, but had a nice jazzy soundtrack; in fact I can not think of it without hearing the main theme (da doo-doo, da doo-da da-doo) in my head, which makes me think it must have been played over and over. Anyways, I'm thinking my daughters (age 6 & 9) would really enjoy this too and came here looking to see if it was available on DVD or video, but it does not appear to be, so I am joining the (small) chorus here of those who would like to see it made available...

I would like to obtain a copy of this movie.

Author: popse8 from United States
28 May 2006

My name is Billy Walker and my father was a set designer for this film. I saw the film in Dallas Texas in 1958 shortly after my fathers funeral. AS a boy of eleven years I was totally consumed watching this movie. I had a black lab puppy at the time and this film opened a fascinating door for the imagination. I had not seen my father for three years, with the exception of at his funeral service as he had been in the L.A. area working on various movie sets. I am hoping that some one can steer me in the right direction to obtain a copy of this film. My father was the man sitting at a corner coffee stand who shared his food with London. Help in this endeavor,from anyone, will be greatly appreciated.

Littlest Hobo Rules

Author: Black Swan from Earth
28 February 2016

This is my Amazon review: My second grade teacher showed the class this film on the last day of school and I've been a Littlest Hobo fan ever since. I have all the Charles Paul Eisenmann dog movies and series I can get my hands on, this from TV broadcast tape to bootleg dvds. Now to have a DVD with great vid and sound was a long time coming and is a top shelfer. Hopefully one day to get "My Dog, Buddy" and the full The Littlest Hobo 1960's TV series on dvds ( Blu even better). London and his family were the smartest best trained dog actors, the movies are always rewatchable. I have all the Lassie (almost a tie, ever enjoyable), Benji , Rin Tin Tin ( the first one ) and even Strongheart that I can get but London is a god of dogs, just don't give him a shotgun.

What Ever Happened To Buddy Hart?

Author: jf_moran49 from United States
26 September 2008

Buddy Hart, who plays the role of "Tommy" in this film version of the popular Canadian, syndicated TV series, "The Littlest Hobo," also played the role of "Chester Anderson" on the first few seasons of "Leave It To Beaver."

Hart's "Chester" was the best-looking of "Wally Cleaver's" entourage of friends, which included the notorious weasel, "Eddie Haskell," the obese bully, "Clarence 'Lumpy' Rutherford," & nerdy "Tooey Brown."

In real life, Hart is also the son of actor John Hart, the second actor to portray "The Lone Ranger," in between the stints of Clayton Moore, who originated the role on TV and in films.

The younger Hart continued to play supporting roles in films, his last (of any notoriety, at least) being 1969's musical "Sweet Charity," which starred Shirley MacLaine, directed by Bob Fosse. His show business resume mysteriously ends with that project--now almost 40 years ago--and he was never in the casts of either the "Leave It To Beaver" TV reunion film, "Still The Beaver," nor of its spin-off series'--"Still The Beaver" and "The New Leave It To Beaver," which aired on The Disney Channel and SuperStation TBS, respectively.