IMDb > I Married a Woman (1958) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

I Married a Woman More at IMDbPro »

Is this the Duke she fantasized about?

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
4 June 2005

I Married a Woman was made in 1958 at the height of George Gobel's career. George is playing his usual henpecked character from television with an overbearing boss, an interfering mother-in-law, a dissatisfied advertising client and a few other things that make his life an adventure. But if you were married to the statuesque Diana Dors, somehow a lot of those problems would seem small. They don't for Mr. Gobel.

Gobel was a very big name in television at this time with a Saturday night variety show for NBC at 10:00 pm. I still remember from my youth the booming TV announcer for NBC announcing their fabulous Saturday night line up of COMO, CAESAR, GOBEL. It was sure superior to NBC's line up now.

Watching George Gobel for me is a piece of nostalgia. And looking at the shapely Diana Dors in a tight dress is reason enough itself to watch this film. Gobel's humor doesn't quite translate to the big screen however. You get the feeling you're watching one long skit from his old TV show.

One of the gags that doesn't quite work is have John Wayne make an unbilled appearance as Diana Dors's idea of a romantic leading man. Romantic? John Wayne? Wayne makes two appearances in the film. In a movie theater where Gobel and Dors are watching the Duke and Angie Dickinson mouthing some meaningless romantic dialog with the Duke looking quite debonair.

I have to believe that this was a gag meant for someone like Cary Grant or Tyrone Power who were great romantics on the screen. The Duke just looks ridiculous doing this. Maybe that in itself was a gag.

I'll let you be the judge if you see this film.

Eh

Author: marcslope from New York, NY
28 April 2014

An alleged comedy starring George Gobel and Diana Dors' cleavage, this TV-style sitcom asks us to believe 1) George would win Diana, 2) they'd live in what looks like a $10 million Manhattan duplex on his salary as a junior ad executive, 3) she would never, never get the chance to tell him she's expecting, which would essentially end the movie, 4) he'd put up with Jessie Royce Landis's endless henpecking (cue the mother-in-law jokes), and 5) the ultimate symbol of screen urbanity, sophistication, and chivalry is… John Wayne. The writing is barely television level, and director Hal Kanter (later a TV mogul, responsible for "Julia" and other notable sitcoms), barely knows where to point the camera. The story's so thin that even at 85 minutes it feels padded. Diana, always good to look at and not an incapable actress, deserved better than this.

A Few Steps Above TV, With Some Good Actors

Author: David (Handlinghandel) from NY, NY
5 June 2003

This is probably more fun now than it was when it came out.

It's a bit of black and white nostalgia now. Then, it was a showpiece for George Gobel, improbably married to sexbomb Diana Dors -- I guess that was the "joke."

Jessie Royce Landis is fun, as always, and the supporting cast supports very well.

It's by no means awful. It's kind of a man's fantasy about being a wimp who's adored by a gorgeous girl -- not unlike the better and better known "Seven Year Itch."

a true classic

Author: sventimiglia23582 from st.louie missouri
26 April 2001

i just saw this movie for the first time ever the other day. i watched it because my uncle loves it and keeps telling me to watch it. i found out it is out of print and to me (now that i've seen it) that is a crime. i fell in love with the film and wonder why that can't make 'em like that anymore. and as for george gobel this was the first i've seen of him but i can tell you he was great in this film. now i see why my uncle goes on and on about him. if this film ever gets re-issued i'll be first in line to buy it. four stars for this film. and a big four stars for lonesome george.

Marvelous picture.

Author: Letty Lynton from United States
25 July 2005

Diana Dors made me a fan of hers in this movie. She plays Janice, pregnant and ignore by her husband Mickey. She feels he cares more about his job then her. I feel the best scene was when they had just finished watching the John Wayne movie and a cloud appears at her feet as Mickey narrates. Diana was absolutely perfect in this film. She is a good actress. This is the only Diana Dors film I have seen but I am looking forward too seeing many more. She wore the right clothes in the film, did the right movements in the film, she was just perfect. Also, the women that plays Janice's mother was very good in the film playing a lazy woman who always complains when she has to do work and Mickey ends up having to do the work. They have the most cute Dog! I give this move a 10