The Rifleman (TV Series 1958–1963) Poster

(1958–1963)

42 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Good to see it again
Tom Holland25 January 2007
I watched this show every week as a kid - I'm 56. I liked it a lot but being around 10 I don't think I really appreciated all it had to offer. Compared to what's on TV these days (I know this makes me sound old. OK, point taken.) the writing was very good. The interplay between Lucas & Mark was genuine; I understand they were fast friends until Connors' death. The only thing I didn't understand was why North Fork even needed a sheriff; Lucas bailed Micah out nearly every week. Oh, well....

It's running on Encore right now. I'm just glad to see that somebody in authority has realized that these old shows shouldn't be dismissed just because they were filmed in black & white. It's the quality of the product that matters. I'm hoping to see Have Gun Will Travel, The Life & Legend of Wyatt Earp, The Rebel, and other shows of this era soon too.
37 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exemplary Western from TV's Golden Age !
bfm_101717 February 2005
I am so pleased this marvelous "TV Noir" from the late 1950's is back on TV re-runs (Hallmark Channel). As a kid, I watched this show because I wanted a rifle like the one Lucas McCain had. As a 50+ year old now, I enjoy the show for a different reason - the very different style of filming it used - B&W of course, but dark, with high contrasts much like film noir. As a father of two sons I also like the interaction between father and son on the show, and how Mark is taught from "The good Book" as well as from experience, and Lucas teaches by example, hard lessons and easy ones, a stern but always loving father. The depiction of a simple life with hard work, long days, and well deserved rest at supper is perhaps fantasy in today's world, but good to strive for. Micah as a no-nonsense sheriff who has lost an edge to old age, and compensates by packing a sawed-off scatter-gun and common sense to keep the peace. No blood or gore, no entry and exit wounds, who cares? That's why I like this genre of TV, it's simple and plain, but sends a good message of hard work, simple life, and good overcomes evil in the end.

Chuck Connors showed more acting in this show than he did in any other, and seems to have been made for the part. Forget all the gibberish about guns and TV. I love this show, and other westerns, and have never owned a gun, nor do I plan to (unless I take up hunting). That's not the point. The point to me is the lessons taught in these shows, good overcomes evil in the end, and justice is served. Real life? No. But that's why I like to watch these shows - good overcomes evil at least for a Saturday afternoon.

This show, and a couple of others - Virginian and High Chaparral were some of the best TV viewing for me growing up. Emphasis on character building, the Western scenery was just window-dressing to me. Even Bonanza (after Michael Landon started to influence stories more) became a great show emphasizing character building. As a father, I learned from all the fathers in these shows (as well as from my own father) how to be a good father, and help to build good character in my own sons. Who said the TV was an "idiot box". Like a computer, it's a tool, and can be used for idiot purposes, or for growing.
47 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Western from the Golden Age of TV
Jynne20 August 2007
As a kid growing up in the 70s, "The Rifleman" was one the only other western besides "Wild, Wild, West" that I really liked--I envied Mark McCain and the great father he had on the show (played by Connors). Yes, each show was a morality play but so were many other shows of the 50s & 60s (including "Star Trek"). They made their point at a time when there was still some innocence in America, and even taught tolerance for people from other countries/cultures (for example, in the episode of "Rifleman" where a Japanese man gets insulted & pushed into a fight with one of the locals & uses Judo to defend himself). Lucas McCain taught his son by example NEVER to use a gun or fight unless it was self-defense. It sounds silly now, but when I was a kid I wished my dad had explained things to me the same way Chuck Connors did to his son in the show--ah well, thank goodness for TV writers! :)
18 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A tall man, his adoring son, and his co-star...The Rifle! (man...)
westpoint6419 January 2005
I first saw this show as a 6-year-old kid and didn't think too much of it at first but once I got a few years older, I really started to appreciate it and now I consider it one of my all-time favorites...not so much as a replication of authentic Western living (I recall Chuck Connors' quote during the show's run: "We offer relaxing entertainment. If you want period realism, go read a book")as it was an interesting show with GREAT background music by Herschel Burke Gilbert, one of my all-time favorite TV composers. I've noticed that people usually have pretty strong opinions about the show....they either really like it or they hate it...usually those who hate the show focus on the violence (they claim Lucas would kill over nothing, which certainly never happened in any episode)...and those who love the show tend to focus on...well, the violence! I've heard comments like, "If there were N number of Rifleman episodes, the body count during the show's run would be >N"...a funny quote, to be sure, but simply not true. In fact, there were episodes where a bad guy would draw on Lucas, he'd sense it, and fire near him to show that "I've got enough firepower to cut you in half"..there'd be other episodes when somebody would draw a gun and Lucas would "sting their hand" to keep from having to shoot them. (hokey, yeah, but that's TV for ya). You have to remember that the TV audience and the ABC network in particular expected action in its Westerns and crime dramas. The ABC network wanted a lot of action in its shows at that time because they were trying hard to get established as a network and compete with NBC and CBS. Some claim "The Rifleman" was something of a gimmick show. It slipped close to becoming one from time to time but the warm interaction between Connors and Johnny Crawford as his son Mark were part of what kept the show from becoming a "Colt .45" or "Hotel de Paree" period parody. Fans of the show often mention the cinematography. Yes, it was good, indeed. In fact, until I started seeing episodes on DVD, I didn't know just how good the film work was. Was it a grim show? No. Those who really don't care for dramatic, near-baroque background music probably get that "grim" idea. Was Micah the sheriff near-useless? Yes, I admit that. Lucas usually ended up being a one-man North Fork SWAT team, to be sure. But man oh man, could a viewer get revved up! They got great character actors like Jack Elam, Martin Landau, James Coburn, and John Anderson to play bad guys...and they'd just work you to this crescendo, just get you where you couldn't wait for Lucas to get out that gun and wail on' em! I'd recommend by-passing most of the last-season (1962-63) episodes of the show. By then, Johnny's Mark was now into puberty, Chuck looks bored and tired of the show (he, in fact, WAS tired of doing it and afraid of being typecast by the Lucas character by then)and although Patricia Blair looks great, the shows are pretty uneventful and stale and they tried too much to play to the Ricky Nelson angle and give Crawford an excuse to sing. "The Rifleman" has really aged well, from the dramatic opening sequence right down to the Four Star Banner logo at the end. It's a TV classic near and dear to my heart, regardless of the body count, heh heh...
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rifleman not good? No way Hosea!
stephaniet-116 April 2004
I don't agree with that rating above. The Rifleman is very very good. If you haven't ever seen the show, don't think that it's crummy. Sure it's got some pretty traumatic moments, but it's an awesome show. The way that the actors interacted with one another was so good. The characters loved each other, but so did the actors. Chuck Connors was the perfect portrayal of Lucas McCain, and the same goes for Johnny Crawford and Paul Fix. Although most outlaws come to North Fork left in a pine box, that doesn't make the show cheesy, corny, fake, whatever. It was a very sweet, realistic show, and it was one of THE best, period. Signed, Stephanie
29 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Black and white TV at its visual finest
P.M. Reilich31 May 2002
I don't know why they used a colorized photo to represent The Rifleman show on the video cover. If the video is colorized, that would be a good reason to not buy it. And I'm not particularly against colorized reprints. It's just that this show truly shined in its B&W mode.

As was demonstrated by Frankenheimer's The Train, a few cinematographers and directors reached a peak of artistic visual clarity during the late 50s-early 60s. This TV show was a good example of that artisanship. Such quality continues to be rare in TV production. You could say it's because TV production has always been a low-funded affair, but such fine art doesn't cost any more than the expensive stuff. What it takes is a highly talented cinematographer and director. That's the rarity, in both films and TV.

Viewers were certainly not jaded back then, nonetheless when a show aired on TV that was clearly well produced, in terms of b&w visual clarity, you can bet we uneducated viewers noticed it, if we weren't yet aware of why we were noticing it. The Rifleman was that kind of show. The screen of our old Zenith b&w console, not a high tech unit by any means, really lit up when this show came on. Like a musician who can take a shabby instrument and make it sing, this quality of production could somehow make our crummy old TV look better than it was worth. A real value, for free and on the air.

The opening sequence to every episode was exciting enough to suck any of us into the TV screen, with the camera dollying backwards in sinc with Connors moving forward repeatedly shooting/cocking his modified, cut-down rifle. No music yet. Nothing but bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam… `The Rifleman' the seriously over-concerned voice-over would announce. We were hooked, and the western styled orchestral music would begin to play.

What is most striking as I vividly remember this shot now almost 40 years later, is the utter smoothness of Connor's walk and steady gaze as he moved forward step by slow step. I realize it is the exact same style of strong, silent type walk which Clint Eastwood was making a trademark. Funny to think that Connors, not a highly respected actor in circles, was doing this bit just as well as Eastwood did so many times later. Hey, if it works, work it. They had similar body types, and their plain, button-down western shirts fit in the same way. These were not the heavily muscled heroes today's boys are led to appreciate. They were tall, sinewy men, and it leant their characters a certain degree of intelligence along with the brawn.

Westerns were such a solid part of Hollywood movie studios' profit revenue, that's why artistic license was allowed the directors of these independently produced film/TV productions. Leave It to Beaver, believe it or not, was another great example of intelligent writing allowed into a stagnant arena of suburban styled family serials. Just check out the difference between Beaver and Dobie Gillis, as compared to Ozzie and Harriet and Gilligan's Island. The latter were undeniably stupid, one dimensional shows, while the former brought intelligent satire into play.

As I look back, a fatherless child at the time, Connors' brave good guy/bad guy characters really worked on me. This was where I managed to develop a diverse sense of humanity, because the directors and writers were allowed to make these characters and their stories somewhat multi-dimensional. The 60s was a great time, in terms of expanding a very innocent TV audience's view of the world outside our sheltered lives (there was never anything closely resembling CNN or Howard Stern, of course).

Two years after The Rifleman finished running there started a new Chuck Connors cowboy series called Branded. Where The Rifleman was certainly the most violently provocative show on TV, Branded was even more sadistic. As kids we ate it all up. In what is now understood to be a sort of Peckinpah tradition of graphic violence, these shows were the directors' training grounds for such sadistic style. They were really pushing the envelope of censorship. My mom used to get upset when we watched these shows.
44 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the coolest Westerns ever to come out of the 50's!
raysond1 August 2000
After some people thought that Chuck Conners as the "bad guy" in such films as "The Big Country",it was quickly misjudged by his character when he played Lucas McCain in "The Rifleman". The show was centered around him and his son Mark in the town of Northfolk. But the coolest thing on that show was that Winchester rifle he had,and he could fire at any range from it!!! He never used a six shooter. The way he took on the baddies with that rifle was the absolute trademark of that show which was one of the coolest and most exciting TV westerns ever to come out of the 1950's,and to this day it still holds up to other TV westerns that would endure years later. A great classic from that golden age of grand TV.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best television shows ever made.
Peter S15 February 2009
Even during the Golden Era of television the 1950s-1970s,when there were so many great shows made,The Rifleman ranks among the best shows ever made.Chuck Connors was outstanding,and the supporting cast were very good.But it was Connors as Lucas McCain that made this show great.His character had "real" emotions.Unlike the stereotype good guy in Westerns ,sometimes Lucas was the one to get angry first.He had a relaxed intensity about him,played to perfection.One of the wonderful things about this show is the great character actors that guest starred every week.The show stands out from other westerns for many reasons.One of them being a lot of the story lines involved Chuck Connors as Lucas McCain and his son played by Johnny Crawford.The father son relationship made this more than a western but also a family show.If I had to write everything that was great about this show it would fill a book.Even if one does not like westerns,The Rifleman is outstanding.They don't even come close to making great television shows like this anymore.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A "bad guy" playing a "good guy"
dinky-49 April 1999
I think much of the success of "The Rifleman" TV series was due to the casting of Chuck Connors as the "hero." We quickly grew used to him in this part but at the time the series started, he was probably regarded by many casting directors as a "bad guy" -- such as the part he played in "The Big Country." There was something mean and menacing about him. But by casting him as the boy's father in "The Rifleman," the show used Connors' toughness to counteract the sentimentality that might otherwise have enveloped this series. (Can you imagine how syrupy "The Rifleman" would have been had Doug McClure played the lead?)
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
200 channels on cable TV.....and nothing comes close this old show
blakeneyd12 May 2011
I'm 43 and have loved this show since I was a kid - and it was in reruns then. It's special in so many ways.

The open affection between father and son (a rarity in the '50's). The moral lessons that are woven into the narrative - without seeming preachy. The faith in the basic decency and goodness of people. The urge to help others out, even if there isn't an obvious reward. The humor, the heart, and the warmth of the principal characters (all wonderfully played by the actors who give them life).

In addition to this, there's the writing! I tend to drift with modern shows, even my favorites - but I always pay attention when I'm watching The Riflemen. TV writers could learn something from this show which presented all of the above qualities *and* an engaging entertaining story, lasting only about half an hour.

No, it's not reality - or even realism - and thank God! I've had enough of that after an 8 hour day. Keep your Housewives of Whatever! And your LO:SVU! Give me the Rifleman any day!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Americana For Boomers
zooN211 September 2010
I grew up with "The Rifleman" and rediscovered it on "retro TV" just recently. It's odd, sometimes in your later years you rediscover things from your childhood and wonder "what was I thinking?" Not the case here, the show is even better than I remember; just great acting by Chuck Connors, Paul Fix, Johnny Crawford (Emmy nominated best supporting actor), and the impressive array of guest stars. I can just imagine 'liberal' moms of today shunning the show as "too violent" and the "wrong message". But in fact, practically every show had a lesson in 'right and wrong', and a warmth you could feel in the interaction between the main characters. I'm sure back when, every boy in America wished he were Mark McCain. As I see the episodes now, I realize you really have to pay attention. You expect a handful of "but Pa!(s)" and the 'bad guys' getting it in the end, but the plots twist and turn and can get quite involved considering the era of the show's heyday. The show's simple premise was capable of telling interesting and occasionally historic stories with some eclectic characters. This unheralded gem is pure Americana, and it sad that this type of family entertainment has evaporated only to be replaced with "poison" (as Madona calls it) on America's living room screens. So much for progress.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Western genre at its finest
iamthecaptain8 November 2002
Chuck Connors plays an inspiring hero in The Rifleman, defending himself, his son, and his friends against gunslingers, cheats, and swindlers. His character (Lucas McCain) is brilliant, brave, strong and just, and supported by a great cast. It's a beautiful series that I often find myself staying up way too late to watch.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best TV theme songs.
marcbillington18 August 2006
I loved the opening to the Rifleman. It starts out with Chuck Connors firing off a salvo from that cool looking Winchester slung down low. Man, he meant business. And then the theme song began. I just had to watch it. I saw many episodes in reruns, when I was about 10 or 11, in the middle 60's , usually on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. The original was a little before my time. It was really my kind of show. Great cast. Luke was great. (Ah Paaaah!)Chuck Connors was awesome! And you knew that at some point in the show he was going to have to use that awesome rifle. I still remember the episode where he had a big fist fight and got a fat lip and winced and then chuckled while taking a sip of coffee to end the show. That was back in the day when Westerns were king.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Western!
Chuck-1501 June 1999
Lucas McCain is one of my heroes. He fights for his beliefs, loves his son, never backs down from anyone but never is one to start a fight, and is one cool hombre! The series is based on a simple story (like a lot of westerns) of a man raising his son and battling evil. I could not imagine anyone but Chuck Connors playing Lucas McCain
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Rifleman is the best father and son show ever!
w22nuschler14 March 2009
I grew up in the 80's and never saw The Rifleman until about five years ago. Chuck Connors was such a powerful presence. He loved his son more than anything in the world and he raised him the right way. Johnny Crawford played his son and he was just as important to the show. He also loved his dad more than anything and would defend him against anyone. Young men will really identify with the father/son bond. Chuck Connors only got to play a good guy in a few other films/series that I can remember:Branded, Superman(Guest Star), Arrest and Trial, Airplane II(The Sarge), Flipper. He deserved a lot more good guy roles because he was so good at it. He did get to play a comedic bad guy on Support Your Local Gunfighter that was great.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Flip Special
bkoganbing8 May 2009
Back in the day when I was a lad, I remember you could get a toy replica of the rifle that Chuck Connors used in The Rifleman. For those of you who don't remember it was called the Flip Special. As the show was popular so was the toy gun.

Come to think of it Chuck Connors invented the automatic weapon before anyone else did. Instead of a standard trigger, Connors had that exaggerated big ring to cock the weapon and fire repeatedly at the same time. He was pretty deadly with it too.

But Connors as Lucas McCain wanted to forget his hell-raising past, he was interested in settling down as a single father with his son, Johnny Crawford who grew into his young teen years during the show's run. The only other regular on the show was Marshal Paul Fix who seemed to get in a fix and needed Connors and his rifle to help preserve law and order in the town of North Fort.

What made the The Rifleman special was Chuck Connors and his strong presence as a father to young Crawford. This was the western frontier and not Fifties suburbia in which Hugh Beaumont and Barbara Billingsley raised the Beaver and Wally. He was a single dad that dad's could identify with and emulate. Connors and Crawford were something special on the small screen.

Several women came and went in Lucas McCain's life, but when the show's run ended he was still a widower. As a show The Rifleman had good values and lots of action. Who could ask for more.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I finally saw an episode where Micah was useful
rook0111 May 2008
Like many people I always wondered why Micah Torrence was sheriff. Today, I saw how he came to the series.

Micah was a good law man who was a fast gun but got tired of being challenged in gun fights. He is wandering around as a drunk when Lucas gives him a job at his ranch to clean him up. He no longer carries a hand gun.

Three guys (two who had been previously shot by Micah) come to town to kill Micah. Two go out to the ranch to kill Micah but back off because of McCain and his reputation with the rifle. The leaders of the three kills the existing sheriff and sets a trap to ambush McCain in town. The three plan to kill McCain and then kill Micah.

In the ambush, McCain kills one of the three but is shot twice from behind by one of the two other gun men. Micah rode into town to help Lucas because he suspected a trap. He guns down the guy who shot Lucas with a shotgun. He reloads the shotgun and then wins the shootout with the ringleader.

It explains why McCain was so loyal to Micah. He definitely would have died if it was not for Micah.

It is the only episode I can remember where Micah bailed out Lucas McCain. It would be ironic if it was the first one where Micah Torrence was introduced to the show.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a western action show worthy of the hallmark channel
trobinson3222 January 2006
The Rifleman has always been my favorite western TV serial and it holds up perfectly well after all these years. Most of the stories led to a gunfight at the end and that is what attracted the viewers to the show, but there is no way I would classify it as a violent show. Lucas McCain never failed to preach to his son that his gun was a last resort - fortunately for us, it usually came down to it anyway. It was almost a letdown when he was able to resolve the episode's problems without using the rifle, although those shows usually drove home the lesson that there are always better ways to deal with your issues. Sometimes the show was almost too preachy, but for kids growing up in the late 50's and early 60's it was terrific wholesome entertainment. Lucas McCain taught his son (and all of us) that it's not OK to make fun of people who are different, that sometimes it's better to walk away from trouble, and that the strong should defend the weak. Rarely was anyone shot who not only deserved it but left no other way out. This kind of violence does not, in my opinion, leave any kind of bad impression on youth. What does cause most of the violence in society today is the bad language and 'insult comedy' typical of almost all sitcoms since the mid 70's. Violence is bred from total lack of respect for others, and nothing shows disrespect more than bad language and insults. There was a very clear message of respect for others in the Rifleman series.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Rootin'-Tootin' Good TV Western
Dalbert Pringle14 September 2013
I'm someone who really enjoys watching TV Westerns from the 1950s and early-1960s.

During that period of time there were certainly plenty of cowboy shows to choose from (some good, some bad). I believe that the total count comes to close to 40 in all.

One of my all-time favorite shows from those glory days of TV Westerns was The Rifleman, which was filmed in b&w and ran for 5 solid seasons (1958-1963).

Sure this weekly, half-hour program had its faults, but, all the same, I thought that a good many of the episodes were well-scripted and entertaining for the most part.

Set in the 1880s, The Rifleman's stories were always kept simple and straight to the point. And I often found that there was a really good rapport going on between the actors in these episodes.

On top of these pluses, I definitely thought that actor Chuck Connors, as rancher, Lucas McCain, made for an absolutely ideal cowboy-dude. Big, masculine and burly, with a likable, no-nonsense attitude towards his role, Connors' presence literally epitomized the very essence of The Rifleman to a perfect "T".

P.S. - McCain's beloved rifle was a custom-designed Winchester. It was always present as a clear symbol, representing the strength, skill and overall manliness of this ace-cowboy of the Old West.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wheres credit and information to Millie and Lou at?
donnie112623 December 2006
I noticed The actresses in the western show "The Rifleman" were accidentally left off the list of actors and credits.All men are listed but no women.Why? I can't remember the names of these great actresses but enjoyed them on the show.These were excellent actors who deserve credit for being on the show.Please find out their information and add it to the site Thanks. The Rifleman is my favorite all time TV western Chuck Conners does an excellent job as Lucas McCain in the series. I hope the hallmark channel will rerun these shows again for all of us fans to view and relive a lot of good memories.I was only about 4 years old when the show began but watched it every week and all the reruns when they came on through out the years.What a great show!I hope the new generation will enjoy the show as much as my generation did.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sodbuster from Hell
zardoz-136 November 2014
Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford made a thoroughly believable father and son duo in "The Rifleman" for its 168 episodes during its five season run. Lucas McCain was a widowed rancher whose expertise with a Winchester repeater was phenomenal. As it turned out, "The Rifleman" broke new ground as the first prime time series about a widower and his son. Mark and he moved to North Folk, New Mexico, and he bought a ranch sprawling over 4000 acres. Virtually everybody in North Fork admired Lucas, and he was instrumental in helping the town drunk, Micah Torrance (Paul Fix), recover his position of town marshal. Indeed, whenever Micah is away, Lucas serves as the interim lawman. In one episode when North Fork landed their first bank, Judge Hanavan (Sidney Blackmer) drove out to see Lucas and try to convince him to invest his money in the bank. Apparently, Hanavan met many North Fork residents who were reluctant about putting their money in the bank because Lucas refused to get a bank account. Reportedly, Sam Peckinpah originated the show after "Gunsmoke" producers rejected his teleplay. Director Arnold Laven tweaked the idea by giving Lucas a son. Each episode depicted the moral lessons that Lucas taught his son as well as adhered to western conventions. The exciting opening scene where Lucas storms down main street rapid firing with his Winchester was always electrifying material as was composer Herschel Burke Gilbert's orchestral music. Gilbert's music never left you in doubt about what was about to transpire. Often the producers repeated the same musical cues, but Gilbert's music was so exemplary that it didn't matter. Some gifted directors called the shots on "The Rifleman," including Sam Peckinpah of "The Wild Bunch," Paul Wendkos of "Guns of the Magnificent Seven," Richard Donner of the "Lethal Weapon" franchise, Ted Post of "Hang'em High," Arthur Hiller of "Love Story," Arnold Laven of "Rough Night in Jericho," James Clavell of "To Sir, With Love,"and Joseph H. Lewis of "Gun Crazy." Actually, Lewis helmed the largest number of episodes, approximately 52, while Laven came in second with 22 episodes. Mind you, all 168 episodes were lensed in black & white and broadcast by ABC-TV. According to the Neilson Ratings, "The Rifleman" started out strong during its initial season, claiming 4th place. However, the show slipped in its successive seasons to 13th and didn't crack the top 3o during its final season.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't Mess With Lucas
qormi17 August 2007
Chuck Connors was a very good actor and he brought depth and intensity to the Rifleman role. This was, in my opinion, the very best TV western. Johnny Crawford was also cast well in the role of his son, Mark. Okay, so he said "Paw" about twenty times per episode. It makes for a great drinking game. Anyway, Lucas McCain had a brooding, violent anger under his skin and he was always ready to snap. He was challenged each episode, as the town he lived near was a magnet for every psychotic bad guy in the western hemisphere. Lucas didn't play; he punched, hit people in the face with his rifle, and slaughtered hundreds with his tricked out Winchester. He usually shot multiple bad guys during the last five minutes of the show. Who cares? They were asking for it. No - begging for it. They never did fully explain how his wife had died. Maybe she kept nagging him one day and........NO!!!!!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Thoughtful Series
Bruce McGee23 November 2000
This series was well made. It was not like many of the westerns that came out on TV during this time. It stars a man who is tough and carries a modified rifle, and it shows that although he is tough, he is also a good man raising a son alone. Most of the action takes place in North Fork. One of the few quirks in the show was the ineffective town marshall. Lucas McCain got him out of trouble more than once during this series' 5 year run.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Welcome to North Fork
Pnai28 April 1999
It's interesting to note that Sam Peckinpaw did the original concept of the rifleman. He also directed some of the first episodes. The area he used as a basis (at least in name) was where I grew up, in central California, thus the town of North Fork, the Madera house saloon, Clovis. The Rifleman was set in NM. but a lot of what went on, was actually taken from stories that Sam and his siblings grew up on about this area. Sam's father was a judge here in Madera county, and the family has a mountain named after the family. Sam's Brother still lives in North Fork. He has written several cookbooks. One contains recipes for road kill items.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Purchased 2/09/2006
benhereb410 February 2006
Actually received the DVDs 2006/02/09

Being a part of the late 'baby boomer' generation, born in 1955, These DVD episodes were an early part of my childhood... They contain the 'values' I were raised with. Quote 'Raise your child, but with a firm hand, and honest love." This series, and primarily the 'childhood lessons' learned within are better than any Dr. Spock book (which admits he/they were wrong)! Raising the child with a 'firm, but loving hand' is exemplified by this TV series fromm (1958-1963)... I have YET to see another exemplified example of this, throughout ANY DVD series!!!

I REALLY feel that 'most parents' would be advisee to follow the 'set of values' exemplified in this TV Series. (I can only hope!)

IF ONLY children were raised with the values presented in this movie, would the world be a 'less complicated' and 'more respectable' and 'safe' place.

I love these DVDs and the 'TV Series' in generral, and I firmly believe the world would be a better place, if the values in this series would be followed by 'most parents' now adays!

Lucas McCain exemplifies the 'values of raising children' that I sincerely WISH were followed 'still today'... Firm Hand but th 'sincere love'!!!

There is NOT ONE parenting/raising/punishment example shown in these TV series that I do not impart onto EVERY youngster I onto EVERY youngster I meet or deal with. I EVEN raise my 'animals' this way, Cats & Dogs.

IF you cannot do it honestly, and do it correctly, the FIRST TIME, THEN... don't BOTHER trying to do it at all... "My Company Company Motto"

Steve@PCNetGuys.com http://www.pcnetguys.com/