IMDb > Touché and Go (1957) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Touché and Go More at IMDbPro »

My absolute favorite Pepe LePew

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
16 November 2000

This is without a doubt my favorite cartoon by a somewhat overshadowed character. A takeoff on Charles Boyer, Pepe has some great lines in this one and the opening of the cartoon is just a riot! Although I do have some sympathy for the dog. The reason I love this cartoon is that I agree with one of Pepe's observations about fish in the sea, but don't call it a weakness! *sigh*

"I am the captain and you darling are my first mate"

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
1 February 2013

One of Pepe LePew's best cartoons along with Scent-imental Romeo, For Scent-imental Reasons and The Cats' Bah. As I've said before quite a fair number of times, Pepe is not one of my favourite Looney Tunes characters but he is very funny- though the humour may go over the head from a child perspective- and certainly stands out. With Pepe's cartoons, you do know what to expect story-wise, but I don't consider that a big issue here as the material is so strong. The animation is vibrant and very elegant-looking with some of the better character designs of any Pepe cartoon. The music has that charming French character to it as well as the distinctive action-enhancing Looney Tunes style. The dialogue is deliciously witty- Touche and Go has some of Pepe's best ever lines- the fish and ending lines are hoots as is "I am the captain and you darling are my first mate". While the humour is mainly verbal, there are some good visual gags as well, the opening scene is the best of all opening scenes from any of Pepe's cartoon, simply brilliant. Pepe is wonderfully amorous and does have a certain likability to him, while the cat while not that much different from before is a worthy conquest. The voice work of Mel Blanc, as always, is spot-on. So overall, one of Pepe's best cartoons and a great cartoon in general. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Painte Blanc

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
27 February 2007

As always, Penelope accidentally gets painted white, and Pepe Le Pew thinks that she's a female skunk (note: he doesn't say "belle femme skunk" in this one). One thing that I saw in "Touche and Go" that may or may not have been an in-joke was the paint that gives her that white stripe: the can is called "Painte Blanc". I immediately assumed that it was probably an allusion to Mel Blanc; after all, the Looney Tunes cartoons were chock full of in-jokes.

But even ignoring that, this is still a really funny cartoon, packed with some great one-liners (namely the part about fish). Because remember: the game of love doesn't end at sundown.