IMDb > Saeta del ruiseñor (1959) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Saeta del ruiseñor More at IMDbPro »

good movie

Author: Van Beneden Henri (rikvb@planetinternet.be) from Belgium
24 September 1999

The little boy has a beautiful voice. I've seen the movie when I was a child. I can't forget it. I always want this movie on video but I can't find it.

The boy with a golden voice

Author: dbdumonteil
16 April 2007

It is to state the obvious to write that Joselito Jimenez's musical melodramas were the reflection of the ideology of FRanco's dictatorship.However there's something fascinating when you see this little kid,some kind of Spanish Shirley Temple ...His date of birth COULD NOT be 1943 ,as an IMDb user wrote in his biography (check it),cause JJ would have been 14 when he made "Saeta del ruisenor" and it's obvious he was not 14 ! (and I do not even mention the voice changes ).JJ was certainly born in 1947,as his personal site testifies.

First Joselito movie shot in color (and his second one) ,religion is somewhat less present (in the first part) than in his previous effort. The young wiz kid portrays a naughty boy and the first sequences oddly resemble Louis Pergaud's "La Guerre des Boutons" .But when the young blind girl appears ,it's mushy melodrama all over again.

Joselito sings every five minutes;they make the first excuse they can think of for introducing his songs: with the young blind girlie ,during a talent show -we hardly see the other contenders-, with an echo in the mountains, during the Holy Week..

For religion gets the lion's share in the second part.The director films the Holy Week celebrations in lavish details and these sequences give the movie its touristic look ,as the precedent user wrote.

Another cliché of this kind of melodrama is the wealthy American (represented by a grumpy (show)businessman and his daughter -"when he says "no" ,he agrees!").The American dream -which would come true for Joselito in real life :he was the Ed Sullivan show's guest -is a permanent feature of the time.At least, these rich tourists make the village stand together .They can't do anything for themselves?Oh no!

Franco was probably very proud of this one

Author: Mario Bergeron from Cap-de-la-Madeleine, Canada
24 December 1999

When I was a kid, in the early sixties, Joselito Jiminez was a big star in French Canada. Some older people never forget him. I remember that this movie was at the Madelon cinema house of my hometown when it burned. We kids, at school, have fun talking about Joselito with the burning voice ! Now, I'm much older and I had a second grade university degree in history, and my subject was the French Canadian distributor France-Film, who was a very very conservative company. In the fifties and early sixties, that was France-Film who made Joselito a star in Quebec. After seeing this film, I know why! This is a very conservative movie! We had to know that in Spain, by that

time, dictator Franco was looking very closely to every point of what's goin' on in his country. Movies had to reflect his conservative and dictatorial regime. So, this movie reflects really that. See the big presence of Catholic religion propaganda, the naive melodrama, the sense of the family and the touristic look of the landscapes of Spain. Quebec, in the fifties and early sixties, was exactly in this same way: very catholic and conservative. So, I now really understand why Joselito was a star back then! Today, this movie really looks awful, but we can also enjoy it as a representation of the Spain of Franco.