IMDb > Johnny Tremain (1957) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Just plain Awful

Author: Tyler Schroder from Va
9 February 2015

Disney has effectively failed at making a movie adaption of the book. Parts of that failure are: Rab doesn't die, while he does in the book. Johnny is shown in the thick of the Lexington+Concord fighting with Rab. In the book, Johnny had only heard of the fighting. Also, they weren't singing on the march to the liberty tree. Adding onto that, the tree is shown with leaves in the middle of December. Assuming that the tree isn't a evergreen tree (which it isn't), that tree should be bare. This book is about a teen's perspective on the war, not a "Family" movie. That part alone is a key part to this movie's failure. Most of the "minor" characters were also removed, which made me just want to turn it off then and there. This is the worst movie based on a book. This calls for a remake. Just read the book. It'll save you money, time, and watching a bad movie.

Just plain awful

Author: Robert Schroder from Va
9 February 2015

Most of the characters were removed that played an important part in the book. Also, in real history they didn't place lanterns in the liberty tree. It was in December, when the tree would be bare. **(Spoiler Warning**) Rab does not die, which he does in the book. Also, Johnny wan't in the thick of the fighting at Lexington + Concord with Rab. Johnny had also only heard of the fighting. Adding onto that, there was no reason to make this into a "Family" movie. Doing that completely removes the point of this movie. It was meant to be about a teen's point of view in the war. Not a family comedy movie. Overall, this is a waste of time. The book is way better than this junk.

Good Historical Movie(SPOILERS)

Author: I_Am_The_Taylrus from Minnesota
14 February 2007

SPOILERS

There are not a whole ton of movies about history that are very close to the facts. Some are so far away that you just can not believe it. I was surprised with Johnny Tremain. I had not read the novel but I know a lot about the times of Paul Revere, George Washington, and the wars, and this had sticked very close to the facts. Some times facts can be boring, but this movie made the facts true and entertaining.

Here is the plot. This movie focuses on Johnny Tremain, an apprentice of a silversmith. Johnny has to fix a cup. Then, one day, Johnny wrecks his hand when he touched hot material. His fingers are molded together. Since he can not be an apprentice of a silversmith with a hand that can not work Johnny finds a new job. He is then arrested by a man named Lyte because he thinks he stole a glass. Johnny is proved innocent. Johnny then becomes a messenger for the Sons of Liberty. Then, here comes the Boston Tea Party! Johnny's hand is fixed. Then, he has to fight in the Battle of Lexington. He does not die, but he knows that the war is far from over.

Overall, this is a very well-done historical film. It had some good acting, but some of the acting was mediocre and sometimes bad. The music in this film is like any other Disney movie, but the Sons of Liberty song is pretty good and very catchy. I also like the fact that not only this film is close to real-life, but it is also very close to the book, or so I was told.

Recommended Films: Saving Private Ryan (For the war, at least.)

Johnny Tremain

Author: (vi3tgirl14@hotmail.com) from United States
11 May 2006

Hey peeps,

I've Read the Book Johnny Tremain for my Reading class..and we had workbooks to go with it that we had to answer questions and do strategies for the chapters we read...then when we were done with the book we got to watch the movie.

What i remember from the book is that: Johnny Tremain is an apprentice boy that lives at the Lapham's family and learns about silversmith. One day John Hancock came and ordered a sugar basin. Johnny promised to get it done by Monday morning, but the promise was broken was because Mr.Lapham wouldn't help johnny at all with the making of the sugar basin..and johnny had to break the Sabbath rule..and on that day..Johnny burnt his hand with REAL HOT SILVER!!! and found out that the bandages had made the thumb grow with the WHOLE HAND!!! :(

Now he is REALLY sad and one of the Laphams girls,Isannah doesn't want to have johnny near her because his hand creeps her out..... Johnny feels that god has turned away from him and so he was to go to the Lyte's house and show them the cup. The cup was given to him by his mother and was told that if god turned away from him then to go to the Lyte's and show them the cup was because Johnny's mother is Merchant Lyte's Niece...But Merchant Lyte doesn't know that his niece,Vinny(JOhnny's Mom) had as child..so when he did bring it to his house....they arrested him because he said the cup was stolen in august....they went to court blah blah blah and Cilla Lapham one of the Lapham daughters saved him was because johnny showed the cup to her on July...... Johnny's real name is Jonathan Lyte Tremain...Mother's name is Lavinia(Vinny) Lyte, and fathers name is Charles Tremain( Charles Latour when he was prisoner of war for the french and Indian war)

so ya..i'm tired of typing so i guess if ya need help...ya can email me....well have fun!!!

I think this book is Good!! because some parts are sad..and some are good it's a good book..u should see the movie too!! well l8r bye!! ;)

Johnny moves out and lives with his new best friend name RAB, and he works as a delivery boy for the BOSTON OBSERVERS.

A unique and classic book turned into a Disney bland-fest

Author: ArchStanton1862 from United States
26 June 2007

First off the book Johnny Tremain is both one of the greatest children stories and one of the greatest revolutionary war novels ever written. Published during the Second World War it has never gone out of print since and rightly so. As source material it is perfectly suited to be given a movie adaption. And when the movie sticks to following the book it is rather entertaining in a 1950s Disney sort of way.

The first half hour is close enough to the book to entertain the fans. The character of Johnny has been changed from arrogant and cocky to pure and innocent in the best tradition of Disney films which can hardly come as a surprise but to expect anything else out of a kid's movie is to be let down. The second half hour loses the mood but keeps near the plot. The Boston Tea Party is entertaining although the singing after it is unforgivably Disney. But by the last half hour the book is thrown to the winds as we see the war first hand. Something about seeing laughing children dancing around the countryside shooting at redcoats struck me as kind of disturbing for a Disney film. Obviously war was a great adventure that people could enjoy in a typical '50s fashion where nobody but the bad guys got hurt and everyone could share a nice drink afterward. Oh, and somebody who is supposed to die, whose death gives the entire book meaning, doesn't. That would be too dark for a Disney film.

Now if I thought that any of those additions were beneficial to the movie I couldn't really complain but none of them worked. The first battle was alright but the psychotic killing kids having fun was just awful. The producers probably couldn't see why this might be considered 'creepy'. The acting from the lead is awful and he doesn't seem to have been in anything else afterward. The guy playing Rab seemed to bring a little of the distant charm described in the book but the script doesn't give him more than one or two moments. Walter Sande as Paul Revere was good as were a few of the founding fathers but nothing to write home about.

On the plus side the sets are marvelous. I've never seen colonial Boston come to life so well since, largely due to an absence of Revolutionary War films. The Battle of Lexington is moderately well done rather obviously leaving open the question of who fired first. And the first half hour entertains. So in conclusion: good book, good sets, bad everything else. Remake anyone?

Outdated for Today's Audiences!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
10 July 2012

I was reading the book but it's a slow novel for my taste. Watching the film showed the drama better than in the book. The book is well-detailed and over for my taste. The cast is well- dressed in their period costumes. The writing of the script is weak. This film is used for children in schools to learn more about the Revolutionary War in Social Studies. The art direction and costumes are first rate but it can be boring at times and maybe tedious too. The main character, Johnny Tremain, is a silversmith apprentice who hurts his hand and loses his job and home. He unwillingly joins the American patriots but we don't see the character development. He is charged with stealing by a distant relative over a family relic to prove his relationship. Johnny is fine but he doesn't come across as multi-dimensional rather than just vague and willing to join the Revolutionary War until he discovers it for himself. The film is a Disney production so it's suitable for children and adults.

Modest Disney drama for young adults

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
2 September 2006

Low-profile Walt Disney live-action drama/history lesson, based on Esther Forbes' book, about a young man in 1773 Boston who becomes involved in treacherous wartime activities. Pleasant, if unremarkable, film on a small-scale. Hal Stalmaster is fine (if uncharismatic) in the lead, but supporting players Luana Patten and Jeff York are very good. Sebastian Cabot steals the picture with a delightfully nasty portrayal of an upper-crust snob. The Disney studios would eventually get much more adventurous than this with their dramatic output, but there are some finely-wrought scenes here that engaged youngsters at the time. ** from ****

Even if we let there be Lyte, can there be another kind?

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
11 August 2006

Ah, we Americans patriotically remember when we were in elementary school learning about how the people in the thirteen original colonies gallantly fought the British and founded the great nation that we know today.* And "Johnny Tremain" is supposed to represent this. Of course, given that it comes from Disney, this isn't really something to use as a historical reference. For example, they don't look at slavery or the colonists' treatment of the Indians.

Oh well, if it's meant as pure entertainment, it's pretty harmless. The highlight is the Boston Tea Party, but most of the movie is kinda hokey. The only cast member whom I recognize is Richard Beymer, who played Tony in "West Side Story" (although I've heard of Sebastian Cabot).

All in all, "Johnny Tremain" very much has the feeling of Disney.

*When George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, etc, were doing their stuff, they probably never envisioned George W. Bush, Tom DeLay, etc.

Entertaining

Author: Varlaam from Toronto, Canada
29 September 1999

An apprentice silversmith is on hand for the Boston Tea Party, the Midnight Ride, and Lexington and Concord.

These are the events at the beginning of the American Revolution so familiar to us from our Canadian history books.

Of course, from a Canadian perspective, the whole revolution is an extreme overreaction to some fairly minor provocations. Cooler heads should have prevailed, Canadians think. So we naturally root for the redcoats the whole way, and we do here too.

But still, the Disney team did quite a good job of producing a seemingly balanced version of history which never gets too histrionic. The film has that glossy, spit-and-polish sheen one expects from Disney. The occasional Cold War foreshadow in the dialogue comes across as amusing at this late date, a period piece within the period piece.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]