Johnny Tremain (1957) Poster

Good old fashioned entertainment ..... and educational too
parcdelagrange15 January 2010
When I was 7 years old I was taken by my older brother to the local 'flea pit' to see a double feature, the main film was 'Bambi' and the supporting film was 'Johnny Tremain'. Being only an ankle biter at the time, the film I was looking forward to seeing was Bambi, I had never heard of Johnny Tremain and had no interest whatsoever in watching it, however, once the lights went down in the cinema and the film started, I found myself enchanted by what I was watching, being an English boy I knew little or nothing about the American War of Independence, I had never heard of the Boston Tea Party and had always presumed that Britain and America had always been on friendly terms, we were never taught about it at school, which is hardly surprising I guess, seeing as the Colonists took on the might of the British military and won! The story of Johnny Tremain was told in such a simple and enjoyable way, in a way that only Disney could tell a story, that even a 7 year old English kid could understand the plot and historical background. It is 52 years now since I saw the film but it made a such a lasting impression on me that I can still remember the words to the song (which admittedly being a very short song with few words, is probably not saying much). I would assume that to todays youngsters this film would prove to be dated and uninteresting, after all there is no sex,no bad language and the violence is sanitised, but it was made in a time when values were a lot different and Disney was the king of family movies. Times have changed, but for all the digital special effects and hype, I for one, reckon you can't beat a good old fashioned movie telling its story in an uncomplicated way, standing or falling on plot, direction and good acting.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Good Adaptation of a Great Book
johandav27 May 2003
I've loved this book since I was a boy, and still think it's a wonderful way to get children reading about the birth of our nation. The movie does a good job of keeping the important historical facts front and center. Unfortunately, much of the book's richness, and darker shades, are cut away to make this more of a film for the entire family, five year olds included. As is often the case, entire characters are omitted in the interest of time and simplicity. On its own terms, though, a fine film and worth seeing.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
" If you mean to start a war, . . . let it begin here "
thinker169115 March 2011
In the 1700's, England had in it's possession perhaps the most lucrative colonies in the world, securely in its grasp. However, due to poor management and a royal arrogance, it instead created enough resentment to establish a growing uprising which led instead to The Revolutionary War. That is the setting which author Esther Forbes used to write her book. The Walt Disney film directed by Robert Stevenson, which used her book is called " Johnny Tremain. " The story follows the exploits of young silversmith apprentice Johnny Tremain (Hal Stalmaster) as he does his best to stay out of the approaching conflict, seek his mother's brother and keep to his trade. Unfortunately, events soon engulf him and his country, beginning in Boston with a rebellion over an imposed Tea Tax. Thereafter, the movie traces the growth of the Sons of Liberty and their efforts to secure their rights as Englishmen. Thrown in for good measure are the key figures of the Revolution including Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, John Adams, his cousin Quincy and James Otis (played by Jeff York). Key events like The Battle of Lexington, Concord Bridge and the "Shot Heard round the world" are added to coincide with American history. Although, his life is central to the story, it's added only for continuity to the War and it's place in history. Nevertheless, it's a good and wholesome movie and easy for students to learn of the important segments of our early country. Easily recommended for the entire family. ***
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The pride of old America!!!!!
Seth Nelson31 July 2006
Disney makes another book-movie in 1957 with "Johnny Tremain," based on Esther Forbes' award-winning novel of the same name. It is about a boy named Johnny Tremain, who worked as an apprentice until his hand touched hot molten silver. Now he had to find a new job, until he decided to go into battle. This had taken place in Boston back during such wonderful events in history like the Boston Tea Party and the invasion of the British (One if by land, Two if by sea).

I have read this book in Calvert School back in 7th grade, I believe. It was such a wonderful book; my mom even enjoyed it, too. Our library had a classroom version of this movie on DVD (although a regular version can also be purchased), and we had just checked that movie out and we enjoyed it so.

"Johnny Tremain" is real good Disney, indeed: a great book made into a great movie portraying terrific American history.

Ten stars.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Johnnie Tremain has been highly entertaining to me
anombrerose16 April 2005
Not entirely sure what constitutes a "spoiler", revelation of the plot lines, if I could have, I would have put a "?" in that box instead of a check mark. If talk about the song does that... Still, it takes a tiny piece of detail to provoke interest in a film, surely a song isn't a spoiler????

I know the 1950's style of Walt Disney seems pretty corny to many folks today. But if old-fashioned values of integrity and honesty and straightforward dealings with other people is corny, then this nation could stand a pretty healthy dose of it, if you ask me.

I love the song, "The Songs of Liberty", and when the men returned from one of their enterprises to hang old-fashioned lanterns up all over on that big old oak tree, and their ladies came out of their homes and shops to join them to sing this song, well, it beat a "Hallmark" or Telephone commercial for me, I can tell you. If my sons are home when I watch this, boy do they raze me good! heheheheh I don't care - it feels good to watch this kind of show.

It would be good for America to remember her roots, and a cute show like this does that in a very entertaining way. You wanted to be there. And maybe you might want to learn a bit more about a few of the names that were dropped, as well. Sometimes a bit of curiosity is good for the soul!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"It's A Tall Oak Tree And A Strong Oak Tree, and we are the sons and we are the sons, The Sons Of Liberty"
bkoganbing4 October 2011
Johnny Tremain took a reverse process in attaining success as one of the best films about the American Revolution. It was a two part program on Walt Disney's television show and then later it was stitched together for theatrical release, so popular did it prove. Just like Disney's Davy Crockett. You can plainly see the seams, but that really doesn't matter.

The fictional character of Johnny Tremain who is an apprentice silversmith and his struggle to establish his birthright to the satisfaction of his loyalist uncle Sebastian Cabot is set against the background of Boston in the 1770s. As we well know the seeds of the American Revolution were planted there, it was a hotbed of latent treason to the British crown.

As Johnny Tremain started as a juvenile novel the issues of the American Revolution are quite simply laid out so that even the lay historian can follow the issues and the events of the Boston Tea Party and later the Battles of Lexington and Concord pretty much as they actually occurred.

And the personalities of the Sons Of Liberty come wonderfully alive in this film. Walter Sande as Paul Revere, Walter Coy as Dr. Joseph Warren, Rusty Lane as Samuel Adams step right out from the textbooks. But in the few scenes he has Jeff York as James Otis steals the movie.

There was a touch of genius in the casting of York and who would have suspected it because York normally played rough hewn frontier type characters. It was totally against type that York was cast as the Back Bay Patriot with both genius and madness in his running in his veins. Otis and Johnny Tremain define the real issues of what became the American Revolution in the best acted scene in the film.

Hal Stalmaster was a fine and earnest Johnny Tremain and was 'introduced' in this film. Why his career went nowhere after that is still a mystery. Luana Patten plays the daughter of Will Wright and Virginia Christine the silversmiths that Stalmaster is apprenticed to and Richard Beymer plays Stalmaster's original tutor in radical Sons Of Liberty politics.

If grade school teachers are not using Johnny Tremain as a teaching tool when the kids are learning the American Revolution, shame on them.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Johnny Tremain is a good American entertainment
MovieGuy10926 July 2011
Johnny Tremain is quirky Hollywood at its quirkiest. I really liked it though, for all of its uncalculated moves. I enjoyed the fictional character's journey through real events. The battle scenes are okay and the story is serviceable, but what wins it over is the charisma of the main character. Quirky and flawed, but never unengaging or lacking in any sort of good American entertainment, it may not be that well remembered, but I still found it likable. For all the pleasures of 1957 Hollywood including 12 Angry Men and The Bridge on the River Kwai, this is limited, but it still does not fail in being a good time killer and entertainment device.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disnified beyond recognition!
twhiteson17 April 2005
I am fully aware that no film adaptation of a novel can remain completely faithful to its source. It is just not possible to do- most novels are too nuanced and large to be comfortably fitted into a two hour movie. However, it is possible for a film to capture the message and tone of a novel by keeping true to its narrative. Yet Disney's film adaption of Esther Forbes 1943 novel for young and old, "Johnny Tremain," failed to stay true to the narrative of the book and the result is a thoroughly mediocre and bland movie.

Set in Revolutionary era Boston, Forbes' novel is the story of a bright, talented, and cocky fourteen year old silversmith apprentice, Johnny Tremain, who because of an accident which cripples his hand finds himself without a profession. Without a future as a silversmith, Johnny must find a new life and career. Along the way he finds himself swept up in the events around Boston in the mid 1770's that culminated in the American Revolution. Johnny becomes involved in the clandestine activities of the Sons of Liberty. He participates in the Boston Tea Party, spies on the British, and mingles with such patriots as John Hancock, Sam Adams, and Paul Revere. The strength of the novel is how Forbes so effortlessly weaved the fictional story of Johnny in with actual historical events and persons. It is just a brilliant work of historical fiction.

One would think that a film studio could not make a complete hash of such terrific source material. Yet Disney did. Disney did what is usually expected of film versions of novels- it jettisoned "minor" characters and subplots to streamline the story. That's understandable. What is not forgivable is completely changing the message and tone of the novel in order to have lots of action scenes and a happy ending. In the book, Johnny only hears of about the fighting at Lexington and Concord- in the movie Johnny is shown in the thick of the fighting. That's understandable (film's need action), but what is not forgivable is the ridiculous joyousness of the battle scenes- Johnny and his friend, Rab, hide behind trees, shoot at redcoats, and seem to be having a grand time! They also occasionally break out into song- "Oh, we are the Sons, oh, we are the Sons, the Sons of Liberty!" (It's just as bad as one could imagine.) Disney selling war as a boys' adventure is exactly the opposite of what Forbes intended in her novel.

Forbes was not cynical about the ideal of American Revolution- the war was fought so that "a man could stand up." However, Forbes let the reader know that that simple hope came at a terrible price. The character of Rab, Johnny's best friend, is a remarkable seventeen year old boy. He's smart, handsome, fearless, and oozes charisma. He's a boy destined to be a great man. Yet it's not be. At Lexington Green, as Rab stands among the Minutemen confronting the might of the British Empire, he is mortally wounded in the first volley. He never even got a chance to fire his own musket. He dies the next day, propped up in a chair with blood pouring from his mouth. Forbes wanted young readers to know that war is not a boy's adventure- it robs the world of its best and brightest at a very young age. By having Rab walking around, alive and well, and singing that awful song at film's end, Disney succeeded in completely botching its film adaption of "Johnny Tremain." This is one book that is crying for a remake!
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
why do people not want their children to watch Disney movies?
john-washburn9 September 2009
I have a parent that is not allowing their child to watch Johnny Tremain. I don't understand why. I have noted that in some cases where language was a problem, I can understand that. This is based on an authors book about the American Revolution. Why would anyone want to keep their child from watching it? It is a clear depiction of the book and gives a good representation of the historical events. It also shows the dress and the attitudes of the time rather well too.

Is there something that was done that make it a bad movie, the language or what? Do others object to Disney movies as well especially the early ones?
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful background for studying the Revolution
ArmyBride403043 January 2006
This is one of those Disney gems that should get some renewed attention. The song "The Sons of Liberty" is a modern invention but a very plausible-sounding one. Both the book and the film ignore Sam Adams' cousin John's involvement in Massachusetts colony politics (so not a fault solely of the movie.)

I would not recommend seeing this movie prior to reading the original book, because the cast of characters is greatly simplified for the movie and you may find yourself saying "Who's that?" if you wait to read the book until after seeing the film.

By the way, I think Revere's using a grease pencil and not a Magic Marker in the silver shop consultation.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
That a man can stand up
laholly17 October 2006
I saw this movie originally on the "Wonderful world of Disney",long before I read the book for an education class in college. I also taught my 8th grade language arts class part of James Otis' wonderful speech about the price of independence. I do not remember if the speech is in the film,but if it was it was wasted because the powers that be at Disney in 1956 decided to change the ending. A previous review mentioned the same thing... by not allowing the character of Rab Silsbee to die after the Battle of Lexington, the entire perspective of the film disappears. I once had a father ask me if it was OK if his son,who did not want to read the book, watched the movie , I told him sure, if he wanted to fail the class.... the teacher would have known immediately that he had not read the book,because he would have no clue about "that a man can stand up".

That said, the movie is well cast,especially the characters of Dr Warren, Paul Revere and James Otis.(Jeff York as always was wonderful).

Hal Stalmaster, who never to my knowledge made another film is just fair as Johnny.Dick(Richard)Beymer is a little goofy as Rab and has fun with the part(unfortunately it doesn't go anywhere.)Luana Patten as Cilla was too old for the part. A previous reviewer said that this film is ripe for a remake. I totally agree. Lets make a film(made for TV or otherwise that really does this literary treasure justice!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Sons of Liberty!
jamaljenkins19 May 2006
For those of you who enjoy "Johnny Tremain" or "Liberty's Kids", you might want to check out the website It is the website for the upcoming book "The Sons of Liberty". Which is a fun adventure series aimed at teens 13 and up. It deals with very strong themes and intense social commentary but has some really great action and adventure all focused in and around the time of the American Revolution. Think Liberty's Kids meet Lord of the Rings meets The Matrix meets Pirates of the Caribbean meets Batman and Robin! Really cool.

I think there are plans for either an animated film or TV series or a live action movie. There will be a series of books and graphic novels as well.

Looking forward to something new and exciting about the American Revolution.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Can't believe how bad this movie is
mdenis4616 December 2011
I taught US history for 39 years. I also had my classes READ the novel. When done, we'd show the movie. Over the 15 or so years we did this, I can't remember a single student who liked the movie compared with the book. They (7th and 8th graders) were totally insulted at how Disney gutted the story, way beyond the need for making it into a "family" movie. Whole, important story lines were omitted -- Dove and the chalice, for instance. For those poor souls who have said in other reviews how this movie teaches them about American history -- SAD, SAD!

One of my students was able to point out, literally, two dozen MAJOR historical inaccuracies -- The Tea Party took place in Boston in December, yet people are dressed like they're in Orlando in August; the Battle of Lexington took place outside Boston in April, when there is usually snow on the ground, yet the movie shows beautiful New England fall foliage! If THIS is how people learn about American history, no wonder most of our population knows NOTHING about our history!

People who think this is a wonderful movie obviously live in a Disney-created bubble world where every day is sunny and no one ever dies. They'd LOVE Disney's version of "The Civil War", played by Mickey and Donald, where North and South sing together happily while the bluebirds sing.

If you want a good laugh then, READ the novel, then (if you can stand it), watch this movie!
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Aw don't be ashamed of your hand, Johnny Tremain. You still live in exciting times.
utgard1412 July 2015
Enjoyable Disney historical fiction, from the book by Esther Forbes, about a silversmith's apprentice in colonial Boston. His name is Johnny Tremain and, after injuring his hand, he becomes involved with the Sons of Liberty and finds himself at the heart of several historic moments of the American Revolution.

Hal Stalmaster plays Johnny and does a fine job, considering this was his only film role. I'm not sure why his career didn't go any further but I will assume it was by his choice. Pretty Luana Patten is fun as his friend and potential love interest. The cast is full of recognizable faces like Sebastian Cabot, Virginia Christine, Whit Bissell, Walter Sande, Will Wright, and Richard Beymer. It's an old-fashioned and pleasant piece of entertainment. Slow-going at times but never boring. Fine Disney production with solid direction from Robert Stevenson. It's a good watch if you aren't uptight about every little detail that might be historically inaccurate
A review written on July 4, 2015
starbase2024 July 2015
Well, maybe I am a romantic American patriot. I did enjoy the movie in spite of all its historical inaccuracies, outdated presentation and production values. However, it did remind me of the courage of the rebels and the risks they took to win our freedoms. I had forgotten much about our early history that too many of us now take for granted. As some other reviewers have mentioned, maybe it should be remade in a completely historically accurate manner. Also, the introduction shows Walt Disney as the consummate salesman. No wonder he accomplished so much in his lifetime - and contributed so much to American culture and values.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I fell in love with this movie 35 years ago!
mcbride50018 February 2011
I fell in love with this movie as a 12 year old. It weaves fictional teenagers into events surrounding the founding of America.

I am just now listening to the original story as a book on tape and really enjoy the fuller version also.

Both the film & the book are recommended!

Both the film & the book are recommended!
"One if by land..."
treeline130 December 2009
It is Boston, in the year 1773, and Johnny Tremain is a young apprentice working for a silversmith. Unjustly accused of a crime, he is rescued by several influential men of the city, including Paul Revere. Johnny joins the "Sons of Liberty," a grass roots political organization, and takes part in the Boston Tea Party and in the famous skirmish at Concord.

The legendary events you read about as a school child come to life in a rousing, patriotic tale. While Johnny is a fictional character, most of the others in the movie are real people such as Revere (with his famous ride), Samuel Adams, and Dr. Warren. Hal Stalmaster is a very likable young Johnny, all innocence and idealism. Walter Sande (Revere) and Rusty Lane (Adams) look like their namesakes and give powerful performances.

This wholesome Disney family movie may be more appreciated by parents than their children (who no doubt have to read the source novel by Esther Forbes in school). It really brings all the names and facts to life and is quite inspiring. Highly recommended.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A unique and classic book turned into a Disney bland-fest
ArchStanton186226 June 2007
First off the book Johnny Tremain is both one of the greatest children stories and one of the greatest revolutionary war novels ever written. Published during the Second World War it has never gone out of print since and rightly so. As source material it is perfectly suited to be given a movie adaption. And when the movie sticks to following the book it is rather entertaining in a 1950s Disney sort of way.

The first half hour is close enough to the book to entertain the fans. The character of Johnny has been changed from arrogant and cocky to pure and innocent in the best tradition of Disney films which can hardly come as a surprise but to expect anything else out of a kid's movie is to be let down. The second half hour loses the mood but keeps near the plot. The Boston Tea Party is entertaining although the singing after it is unforgivably Disney. But by the last half hour the book is thrown to the winds as we see the war first hand. Something about seeing laughing children dancing around the countryside shooting at redcoats struck me as kind of disturbing for a Disney film. Obviously war was a great adventure that people could enjoy in a typical '50s fashion where nobody but the bad guys got hurt and everyone could share a nice drink afterward. Oh, and somebody who is supposed to die, whose death gives the entire book meaning, doesn't. That would be too dark for a Disney film.

Now if I thought that any of those additions were beneficial to the movie I couldn't really complain but none of them worked. The first battle was alright but the psychotic killing kids having fun was just awful. The producers probably couldn't see why this might be considered 'creepy'. The acting from the lead is awful and he doesn't seem to have been in anything else afterward. The guy playing Rab seemed to bring a little of the distant charm described in the book but the script doesn't give him more than one or two moments. Walter Sande as Paul Revere was good as were a few of the founding fathers but nothing to write home about.

On the plus side the sets are marvelous. I've never seen colonial Boston come to life so well since, largely due to an absence of Revolutionary War films. The Battle of Lexington is moderately well done rather obviously leaving open the question of who fired first. And the first half hour entertains. So in conclusion: good book, good sets, bad everything else. Remake anyone?
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Revolutionary War Hooey
Hitchcoc14 December 2016
Adaptions of books happen all the time. As a matter of fact, there is an Academy Award category for it. But there is a rule. The movie, even though a different medium, needs to adhere to the basic plot and premises. This goes so far afield and expands it and inflates it to such a degree that one is hard pressed to recognize much of the book. There are moments in the movie that make it a fun presentation of juvenile fiction. The story of Johnny and his friend are really interesting. But one should at least respect the history and give the author her due. This movie was made when I was in elementary school. It took a long time to realize how much less it is than the original.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Johnny Tremain
vitgirl1411 May 2006
Hey peeps,

I've Read the Book Johnny Tremain for my Reading class..and we had workbooks to go with it that we had to answer questions and do strategies for the chapters we read...then when we were done with the book we got to watch the movie.

What i remember from the book is that: Johnny Tremain is an apprentice boy that lives at the Lapham's family and learns about silversmith. One day John Hancock came and ordered a sugar basin. Johnny promised to get it done by Monday morning, but the promise was broken was because Mr.Lapham wouldn't help johnny at all with the making of the sugar basin..and johnny had to break the Sabbath rule..and on that day..Johnny burnt his hand with REAL HOT SILVER!!! and found out that the bandages had made the thumb grow with the WHOLE HAND!!! :(

Now he is REALLY sad and one of the Laphams girls,Isannah doesn't want to have johnny near her because his hand creeps her out..... Johnny feels that god has turned away from him and so he was to go to the Lyte's house and show them the cup. The cup was given to him by his mother and was told that if god turned away from him then to go to the Lyte's and show them the cup was because Johnny's mother is Merchant Lyte's Niece...But Merchant Lyte doesn't know that his niece,Vinny(JOhnny's Mom) had as when he did bring it to his house....they arrested him because he said the cup was stolen in august....they went to court blah blah blah and Cilla Lapham one of the Lapham daughters saved him was because johnny showed the cup to her on July...... Johnny's real name is Jonathan Lyte Tremain...Mother's name is Lavinia(Vinny) Lyte, and fathers name is Charles Tremain( Charles Latour when he was prisoner of war for the french and Indian war)

so ya..i'm tired of typing so i guess if ya need help...ya can email me....well have fun!!!

I think this book is Good!! because some parts are sad..and some are good it's a good book..u should see the movie too!! well l8r bye!! ;)

Johnny moves out and lives with his new best friend name RAB, and he works as a delivery boy for the BOSTON OBSERVERS.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Modest Disney drama for young adults
moonspinner552 September 2006
Low-profile Walt Disney live-action drama/history lesson, based on Esther Forbes' book, about a young man in 1773 Boston who becomes involved in treacherous wartime activities. Pleasant, if unremarkable, film on a small-scale. Hal Stalmaster is fine (if uncharismatic) in the lead, but supporting players Luana Patten and Jeff York are very good. Sebastian Cabot steals the picture with a delightfully nasty portrayal of an upper-crust snob. The Disney studios would eventually get much more adventurous than this with their dramatic output, but there are some finely-wrought scenes here that engaged youngsters at the time. ** from ****
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just plain awful
Robert Schroder9 February 2015
Most of the characters were removed that played an important part in the book. Also, in real history they didn't place lanterns in the liberty tree. It was in December, when the tree would be bare. **(Spoiler Warning**) Rab does not die, which he does in the book. Also, Johnny wan't in the thick of the fighting at Lexington + Concord with Rab. Johnny had also only heard of the fighting. Adding onto that, there was no reason to make this into a "Family" movie. Doing that completely removes the point of this movie. It was meant to be about a teen's point of view in the war. Not a family comedy movie. Overall, this is a waste of time. The book is way better than this junk.
Just plain Awful
Tyler Schroder9 February 2015
Disney has effectively failed at making a movie adaption of the book. Parts of that failure are: Rab doesn't die, while he does in the book. Johnny is shown in the thick of the Lexington+Concord fighting with Rab. In the book, Johnny had only heard of the fighting. Also, they weren't singing on the march to the liberty tree. Adding onto that, the tree is shown with leaves in the middle of December. Assuming that the tree isn't a evergreen tree (which it isn't), that tree should be bare. This book is about a teen's perspective on the war, not a "Family" movie. That part alone is a key part to this movie's failure. Most of the "minor" characters were also removed, which made me just want to turn it off then and there. This is the worst movie based on a book. This calls for a remake. Just read the book. It'll save you money, time, and watching a bad movie.
Good Historical Movie(SPOILERS)
I_Am_The_Taylrus14 February 2007

There are not a whole ton of movies about history that are very close to the facts. Some are so far away that you just can not believe it. I was surprised with Johnny Tremain. I had not read the novel but I know a lot about the times of Paul Revere, George Washington, and the wars, and this had sticked very close to the facts. Some times facts can be boring, but this movie made the facts true and entertaining.

Here is the plot. This movie focuses on Johnny Tremain, an apprentice of a silversmith. Johnny has to fix a cup. Then, one day, Johnny wrecks his hand when he touched hot material. His fingers are molded together. Since he can not be an apprentice of a silversmith with a hand that can not work Johnny finds a new job. He is then arrested by a man named Lyte because he thinks he stole a glass. Johnny is proved innocent. Johnny then becomes a messenger for the Sons of Liberty. Then, here comes the Boston Tea Party! Johnny's hand is fixed. Then, he has to fight in the Battle of Lexington. He does not die, but he knows that the war is far from over.

Overall, this is a very well-done historical film. It had some good acting, but some of the acting was mediocre and sometimes bad. The music in this film is like any other Disney movie, but the Sons of Liberty song is pretty good and very catchy. I also like the fact that not only this film is close to real-life, but it is also very close to the book, or so I was told.

Recommended Films: Saving Private Ryan (For the war, at least.)
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Even if we let there be Lyte, can there be another kind?
Lee Eisenberg11 August 2006
Ah, we Americans patriotically remember when we were in elementary school learning about how the people in the thirteen original colonies gallantly fought the British and founded the great nation that we know today.* And "Johnny Tremain" is supposed to represent this. Of course, given that it comes from Disney, this isn't really something to use as a historical reference. For example, they don't look at slavery or the colonists' treatment of the Indians.

Oh well, if it's meant as pure entertainment, it's pretty harmless. The highlight is the Boston Tea Party, but most of the movie is kinda hokey. The only cast member whom I recognize is Richard Beymer, who played Tony in "West Side Story" (although I've heard of Sebastian Cabot).

All in all, "Johnny Tremain" very much has the feeling of Disney.

*When George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, etc, were doing their stuff, they probably never envisioned George W. Bush, Tom DeLay, etc.
2 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this