IMDb > The Green-Eyed Blonde (1957) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Green-Eyed Blonde More at IMDbPro »

guilty pleasure

Author: arel_1 ( from Neenah, WI
21 July 2004

I used to catch this film fairly regularly back in the days when local TV stations ran the Late Show, the Late-Late Show, the Omigosh Are YOU Still Up? Show etc. instead of infomercials (**sigh...**) "Gone With the Wind" it's not, but I found it surprisingly memorable anyway and would like to find it on VHS or DVD someday. a lot of the movies I saw in those days--well, I don't remember having seen them until I see them again on AMC or Turner, or on the bargain-basement video rack at Wal-Mart. for some reason, "The Green-Eyed Blonde" stuck (I can even remember the downbeat theme music!) I've never seen it in any company's video catalog, though... (***SIGH...***)

Memorable performance by Susan Oliver

Author: vmcdavidson from Arizona
22 August 2000

Provocative-for-the-time B-film, with a memorable performance by winsome Susan Oliver as a tough young woman in a woman's prison. This film is more watchable than most B/W B-films of the 1950s, and concludes with a gripping, shocking climax. Watch this on video as a fun escape/indulgence on a rainy Saturday afternoon with a steaming cup of Suisse Mocha...

B morality play about home for girls who lack a family life

Author: gobbob from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
20 December 2000

Moving story of a group in a home for wayward girls who find an illegal opportunity to be a family. A new girl, Betsy and a new staff member, Miss Wilson find that they and the rest of the girls in the home, have a lot in common. Miss Wilson finds herself at odds with her employers.

The love scenes with the chain-link fence, not replicated by any as far as I know, is not to be missed.

Greened-Eyed Blond is at times a tear jerker, especially if you have a soft spot. As well as a warning for all teenage girls and the establishment!

A Decent 50's Drama

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
24 November 2015

"Betsy Abel" (Melinda Plowman) is a teenage girl who has given birth to a baby outside of wedlock and because of that she is sent to a female boarding school until such time as a judge orders otherwise. While there she meets several other young women who have similar problems with society in general. One particular young lady goes by the name of "Green Eyes" (Susan Oliver) who has only a month or so until her release. As it so happens, Green Eyes has a boyfriend who visits her at the gate during curfew and together they plan on building a life together when she finally gets out. In the meantime though, another girl named "Cuckoo" (Norma Jean Nilsson) does something totally reckless which creates huge problems for everyone. Now rather than reveal any more of this movie I will just say that this was a fairly interesting drama which managed to illustrate a certain societal mindset that was prevalent during this period of time in the United States. Not all of it is flattering. Be that as it may, while the movie poster may indicate otherwise, this particular film isn't strictly focused on Susan Oliver's character as much as it is about several other people as well. The drama and the acting are both decent and as a result I have rated this movie accordingly. Slightly above average.