IMDb > All Mine to Give (1957) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

All Mine to Give More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Touching story, a real classic that is overlooked.

Author: Ellen Roemer from Oshkosh, WI, USA
12 December 2001

I saw this movie in the theater back when it was new and then again when we used it at a Children's Christmas program at a small public library near the town where the author was from. Eureka, Wisconsin. It is an excelent presentation of frontier life and hardship like Old Yeller and Davy Crocket with the added touch of being about a local family in our area. I wish it were more available in video format or on DVD for this generation.

Loss of a fine talent

Author: donnaleemartin from Salisbury, MD, USA
11 July 2004

This is a very affecting movie. I can't watch it for two minutes without crying. I always seem to catch the last few minutes of it but those have more meaning and human feeling than the vast majority of movies made recently. In my opinion, the oldest boy of the family is the main reason it's so good. I remember being jarred by his English accent when the other kids had none, but his touching performance and captivating looks soon overcame that problem. The first time I saw the movie, I couldn't believe anyone could be as strong as Robbie, I couldn't believe what was happening in the movie,and I kept waiting for the Hollywood ending that didn't come. After seeing the movie again today, I searched for the name of the boy, Rex Thompson, and was disappointed to see that his career ended quite some time ago. What a waste. I'd really like to know what happened to him.

Raw, hard emotion

Author: Margie Vander Wyst (foxslippers@yahoo.com)
22 May 2004

This movie is the most heart-wrenching movie I have ever seen, and I will never forget it. I first saw the movie in a parochial grade school in the early 1960s. The nuns thought it would be good for us; and it was. This movie has stayed in the front of my mind for all of my life. The memories evoke emotions in everyday life allowing more compassion towards others in terrible plights. This movie truly shows human emotion so strong one thinks it is real. The acting is superb!! I still get shivers when I think of what one child alone in the world had to face, both physically and emotionally. I don't think I could have been that courageous. No special effects needed here - bring a hankie!!

The Rock Test

Author: schappe1 from N Syracuse NY
7 April 2002

I've seen this once- many years ago, buried in a package of old movies the local station owned. For most of the way, it's a good, realistic view of frontier life, like something out of the Waltons or Little House on the Prairie. At the end, however, it becomes something much more special than that. I call the end of this film the "Rock Test". If you can watch it and not cry, you're a rock. The thing that makes it work is that it's not maudlin, just real and human. A rare gem, the sort of thing that makes it worth scanning the TV listings looking for it. Believe me, if you find it, it will be the best thing on the page.

This is the best movie ever made for sharing; with your mom, your sister, your daughter and your best friend. The only thing you won't be able to share are the tissues, everyone will need their own box!

Author: jtod207 (jtod207@hotmail.com) from Yardley, Pa
27 November 2000

When we were in high school and college, my sister and I used to watch this movie every time it came on TV. If it started at 3AM, we were there with our tissues! We watched it so many times, that I would start to cry even before any thing sad happens. My sister and I are trying to find a copy so we can share it with our daughters. So far I've found 14 Video stores nation-wide that still carry it, but I don't know yet if any of them will rent it to me via the mail. I'm hopeful though, because any one who has ever seen this special movie, never forgets it. I now have seven children of my own, and even though none of them have seen it, they all know the story, and the title. It's difficult to summarize ALL MINE TO GIVE, without giving the story away. If you see it once, you'll look forward to seeing it again and again. I don't think there is another movie of this type that elicits such a universal reaction from the viewers.

This is a 3 hankie tear-jerker.

Author: NeilEv from Seattle, WA
29 April 2004

I think this is the saddest film ever made. The story follows the growth of an immigrant family from just Mom & Dad to a house full of children. Then tragedy strikes and we see the family start to shrink. First by death by disease the parents, then by having the oldest give away his brothers and sisters. This film has what most modern Hollywood films lack - characters that you care dearly about. You will care enough about this family by the end, as if it were your own. I was 10 when this film was released, and had just lost my Mom. The film really hits home - as Buddha said: every family has a tragedy.

I hope it is released in VHS or DVD sometime in the future.

a sentimental favorite

Author: jay k from San Diego CA
29 May 1999

An unexpected heart-warming movie I first saw on a late night movie about 21 years ago. The scenes of life for a new family in America are touching. The trials and tribulations of this family lead to an extremely heart-wrenching finale. I scan the T.V. paper every week looking for this film and make a point of watching it every time it's on, therefore I've seen it over 10 times

Raw, hard emotion

Author: Margie Vander Wyst (foxslippers@yahoo.com)
22 May 2004

This is a tissue tugger if there ever was one!

Author: Rgdemond from Mission Viejo, CA
8 December 2007

This is a tissue-tugger if there ever was one! I haven't seen this movie in several years but growing up, I always made a point of seeing this movie. It is one of the few movies that as a young man and an adult that I have watched multiple times. I always found it very moving and an emotional experience. I don't normally cry at movies but this one always made me misty. I looked for it for several years, telling my wife what a great movie it was to see and how I wanted to share it with her. I finally wrote to several of the TV networks and got one to respond with the next time it was going to be on television. It was a big night in our household, popcorn popped, tissues handy, and kids to bed as we watched the movie. As the finally credits start rolling and I'm holding back from getting misty, I look to my wife, ask her what she thought and she answered with, "Is that all there is to it?" I was crushed to say the least.

At any rate, it still moved me, though I hadn't seen it in years. You feel for the struggles of the family, the harshness of the wilderness and the era for growing family. You see how adversity makes the family more close-knit and the bond between one another grows. No TV, no Nintendo, none of the amenities of today but the love and understanding that builds in a large family that relies on each other.

Ah Pioneers!

Author: jotix100 from New York
21 April 2004

We take for granted a lot of things in our lives. The struggle of the first settlers of this country is something we don't tend to think much about, yet, what these people endured during the XIX century, is something most of us, today, are not prepared to do, myself included.

The film is a sweet account to a Scottish family settling in Wisconsin. As directed by Alan Reisner, it makes us look into the past as this family decides to take root in a hostile environment. It was a surprise to hear the score by the great Max Steiner in the background, as it helps the film tremendously.

The acting by Cameron Mitchell, Glynis Johns, and the rest of the cast is predictable. The children are wonderful, as they decide to continue the legacy of their parents.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]