IMDb > Hot Rod Girl (1956) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hot Rod Girl

Hot Rod Girl More at IMDbPro »

I Had A Lot Of Fun With This One!

Author: BillDP from New Jersey
30 September 2003

Now here is a little 1950's JD film that I had a lot of fun watching! Kind of an off the wall affair that sends a mixed message but is certainly a hoot to check out. A young Chuck Connors plays a local cop who is trying to end illegal drag racing by getting the kids to participate in a sort of legalized form of racing at a drag strip he put together and supervises with some of the local youth. Things seem to be working fine, though Connors is constantly getting heat from his Captain who wants hot rodding banned altogether, until the local "hero" Jeff loses his brother in an illegal street race. Jeff goes brooding and decides he wants no part of Connors program anymore just as a typical 1950's hood comes driving into town for the first time trying to shake things up. I found the film to be oddly entertaining but I wasn't sure if the message was that kids shouldn't be drag racing or that it's ok, as long as it's done in a certain place. Anyway, a fun movie featuring pretty good performances by Connors, John Smith and a very young Frank Gorshin as "Flat Top". Also in the cast is the extremely attractive Lori Nelson who has the title role. It seems a little odd that the film carries the title HOT ROD GIRL as Nelson is clearly a supporting player and the only time she "hot rods" is very briefly in the beginning during the opening credits. Still, her 1955 T-Bird is a blast to look at as are some of the other cars featured in the film. Catchy 1950's music score also helps capture a nice feel. If you like these kinds of films, as I do, I think you'll find this one rather enjoyable.

Have A Soft Spot for this one...

Author: Space_Mafune from Newfoundland, Canada
24 August 2003

I have to admit it. Why? Well it features a young Chuck Connors for one thing but even more importantly for me it stars Lori Nelson of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE fame. I have to admit there's just something about Nelson I adore, not sure what it is exactly but she has a certain quality that defies description. The film itself is an interesting piece of 1950s nostalgia, especially for anyone who remembers or actually lived through the hot rodding craze from that era. Now I'll admit this was before my time, yet it holds a certain fascination and appeal for me. The film, while being basically pro-teens (they are just mixed up kids in need of a place to go and have fun but who need the help and guidance of a responsible adult-Connors' Detective Ben Merrill), does send a mixed message with regards to hot-rodding...both positive and negative to the point that in the end we are left scratching our heads.

Rent it, Buy it or Steal it !! MUST SEE!

31 July 1999

Filmed entirely in the San Fernando Valley, CA ... If you want to see what the Valley and early Hot Rodding was like, THIS is the movie for you!! The film opens at the old San Fernando Dragstrip and moves all around the Valley from Northridge to Sherman Oaks, North Hollywood, Van Nuys Blvd ... If you want a history of what the "Nifty Fifties" was like this is it! ... a forerunner to American Graffitti and Hollywood Knights ... You couldn't re-make this film today if you had 50 million dollars ... A TRUE CLASSIC !!

This is a great little movie! A Gem!

Author: lespaulstandar from United States
28 August 2005

I just watched this with a buddy of mine and can't believe how thoroughly enjoyable it was. I paid a buck for it !!!!! And the DVD even had another hot rod flick which I haven't even seen yet (T-Bird Gang).

I think you'll enjoy this and find yourself longing for the good-old days of the 1950s All the old cars, nostalgia, hamburg joints, great scenery which includes the mountains of the San Fernando Valley and a great- looking Lori Nelson.

This is truly a good little movie, a gem ... if you can find this, buy it (it shouldn't cost hardly anything if you are a lucky enough to find it). Truly a gem. Enjoy !!

Best damn hot-rod movie ever

10 January 1999

Filmed in the San Fernando Valley at the time hot-rods and cruisin' Van Nuys Blvd was really happening!

Shots of the San Fernando Drag Strip are priceless to anyone who was there.

Why isn't this availble on VHS?????

Excellent 1950's B-movie!

Author: unclerussie from Orlando, Florida
18 February 2003

This film will take you back to the days of rock and roll, jukeboxes and of course, hot rods. Well acted (especially by John Smith) and Lori Nelson is real easy to look at (although you might prefer her cool '55 T-bird). It's also fun to watch a pre-Riddler Frank Gorshin in one of his early roles. Get ready to to roll up your sleeves and grease your hair back while you watch "Hot Rod Girl".

Hot rods and rock 'n' roll chicks.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
25 March 2008

HOT ROD GIRL is one of the many American-International teen oriented films that flickered at the drive-in and equally was part of those Saturday triple features in the ice cold theaters during the duck-tail days. A decent flick that has Chuck Connors playing a concerned cop that helps organize a drag strip to keep illegal drag racing to a minimum making the city streets safer. John Smith is a former champ who has quit racing and is happy to keep his friend's rods tuned. But he is forced to race again in order to avenge his little brother's death and win his sweetheart(Lori Nelson)back. The cast also includes: Frank Gorshin, Mark Andrews, Roxanne Arlen and Dabbs Greer.

The ORIGINAL Hot Rod Movie !

24 December 2003

Filmed in the San Fernando Valley in the 50's, this A-typical Hot Rod movie visits old Hot Rodder haunts and even starts out at the San Fernando Drag Strip...a MUST SEE FILM~

Manages to Capture the 1950's Time-Period Pretty Well

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
27 August 2014

Believing that a drag strip will keep kids from racing their hot rods on the street "Detective Ben Merrill" (Chuck Connors) takes an active interest and encourages them to drive responsibly. Unfortunately, when a certain group's leader by the name of "Jeff Northrup" (John Smith) has his younger brother killed in a racing accident he decides to avoid the drag strip altogether. This results in the rest of the group also losing interest in the drag strip and instead doing the exact thing that Detective Bill Merrill feared the most. Soon the residents of the city become extremely upset with the way the kids are driving recklessly through town and the police are forced to begin taking action against those who own hot rods. Matters become even worse when a troublemaker by the name of "Bronc Talbott" (Mark Andrews) arrives in town and decides to make a play for Jeff's girlfriend, "Lisa Vernon" (Lori Nelson). Now, rather than reveal any more of the film I will just say that this was an okay grade-B picture which managed to pass the time more or less. Although it's not a great film by any means I didn't think it was that bad either and so I have given it a rating of about average. If nothing else it manages to capture the 1950's time-period pretty well and that might be of interest to some viewers.

Entertaining 50's drive-in opus

22 May 2013

Champion drag racer Jeff Northrup (amiable Jeff Smith) quits racing after his younger brother gets killed in a street race. However, Jeff receives pressure to get back into racing by cocky newcomer "Bronc" Talbott (essayed with spot-on arrogant swagger by Mark Andrews), who also makes a play for Jeff's girlfriend Lisa (an appealing portrayal by the fetching Lori Nelson). Director Leslie H. Martinson, working from a compact script by John McGreevey, relates the simple and straightforward story at a snappy pace while offering a nice slice of the 50's era complete with clean cut kids, shoddy obvious back screen projection, an engaging harmless tone, the inevitable chicken race, and a lively climactic brawl between Jeff and Bronc. The sincere acting by the solid cast helps a lot: Chuck Connors as the earnest Detective Ben Merrill, Frank Gorshin as flaky hipster Flat Top, Roxanne Arlen as the sweetly ditsy L.P., and Fred Essler as friendly diner owner Yo-Yo. Sam Leavitt's crisp black and white cinematography makes neat use of fades and dissolves. Alexander Courage's swinging jazzy score hits the groovy spot. A pleasant drive-in diversion.