IMDb > Forbidden Planet (1956) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forbidden Planet

Forbidden Planet More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 30: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Influential but Cheesy Sci-Fi

Author: kenjha
12 February 2011

A spaceship is sent on a rescue mission to a planet where a previous mission went awry. Regarded by many as an early sci-fi classic, this film deserves credit for influencing the likes of "Star Trek" and "Star Wars." However, it's not a great film by any means. Too much time is spent on showing off the sets and special effects. It may have been impressive for its time, but now the sets look fake and the effects are primitive. The cheesy electronic soundtrack becomes annoying after a while. Pidgeon is well cast as the scientist. Nielsen makes one wonder how this film might have worked as a spoof. Francis does little more than wear short dresses and look lustfully at men.

Excellent

Author: xargox from Italy
1 July 2008

A great, forever young and amazing film! As the Space Patrol lands on a planet searching for the survivors on their's crashing point, they're obliged to face a lot of problems: in the end all connected to each one. But it's very difficult to find this connection. Most of all I'm sure that without this celebrated SF movie, "Star Trek" could never have been taken off. Please look to the shape of the starship and the costumes. What about the Captain and the Doctor (anticipating Kirk and Bones)? Definitely I consider "Forbidden Planet" the true prequel to all that wonderful TV series. The message is very important and well developed, thanks to Disney and the crew. Great sixtie's colours. Everybody's love to beautiful Altaira. Where's Robby now? Ciao to all the Trekkers Guido Gossi

The total potential here must be nothing less than astronomical.

Author: lastliberal from United States
3 February 2008

This is a special film due to the Special Effects by A. Arnold Gillespie, Irving G. Ries, and Wesley C. Miller. For 1956, they were awesome!

But there was also some good acting in this film. For once, I got to see Leslie Nielsen before he made those ridiculous movies like The Naked Gun 2½.

Walter Pidgeon (Oscar nominations for Madame Curie and Mrs. Miniver) was really good as Dr. Morbius.

I enjoyed Ann Francis. I have missed her since "Honey West." And, of course, Robby the Robot stole the show.

One of the few proper Science fiction films and a 'first'

Author: Simon Hudson from United Kingdom
20 September 2006

As another comment mentions, there are few proper science fiction films. Most are space opera (Star Wars, for example, great movies though they are) of one sort or another. Forbidden Planet is an exception, with a plot that uses the genre to explore philosophical, moral or social (etc.) issues. In this case the balance of Id and Ego. (Another example might be Gattaca).

Forbidden Planet is also one of the first colour SCiFi films - not the first, but very early; it is also the first film to have an electronically generated film score.

Finally, the story is inspired by the 'Tempest', with Robbie taking the role of the fairy/sprite Ariel, while Dr Morbius is Prospero. No wonder it has a decent plot...

The Landmark Space Thriller of All Time !!!

Author: botany-1 from United States
9 August 2006

Rated a 5-star film for nearly fifty years, and still rated so in some master indexes, Forbidden Planet is considered by many to be the greatest space fiction thriller of all time. The plot, spun from Dante's Inferno, is one of the strongest ever adapted to screen play, and the film's many technological innovations, such as wireless microphones, remote video, hyper drive, and many others, were conceived and debuted therein decades before their time. In addition to the powerfully absorbing story, centered around the fact that a evil primitive lurks within the subconscious of every man, the details, dialogue, and scientific jargon of the script exhibit amazing scientific and technical accuracy ... even today ... everything from the need for special devices to protect the spacemen from rapid acceleration/deceleration to/from hyperspace, to advanced scientific discussions, including accurate, heavy-duty terminology having to do with the origin of the indestructible, invisible "Monster from the Id"! Robbie-The-Robot, one of the films most memorable contributions, "lived" on for decades after the film, first as a household name, then in Lost In Space, and later in other appearances and spin-offs. Robbie was the prototype and basis for the android concept in subsequent productions.

I saw this film when it opened in 1956, and have viewed it many times since. I will never forget the ominous aura imparted by the stunning, never before seen visual effects, eerie and completely unique sound tract, alien landscapes, and artistic devices of this great landmark masterpiece. This title is prized among my classic video collection of the more than 1,000 films.

Except for a few corny lines by "Cookie", a manner of speech considered hip for the time period, and a little wavering of the saucer during landing, this film is not only a flawless masterpiece, but will remain a timeless monument to the golden age of science fiction film making. Morbuis (Walter Pigeon) will always remain the quintessential institutional scientist who's self-righteous, self-noble, and self-important values turn out to stem from the same mentality that has led humans to construct over 250,000 nuclear warheads. And, Commander Adams (Leslie Nielsen), the pragmatic, self-made hero who, at ground level is able to see through the fog, and with great sacrifice (mainly of others) at the last possible moment, unravels the crooked web and reveals the ugly truth. The truth that sets men free!

Fantastic stuff

Author: richard-baker24 from United Kingdom
19 April 2006

What can you say, after half a century, its still worth watching. This film as well and truly stood the test of time.

The special effects still look good, and while the acting can seem a little "stiff", its a reflection of the time the film was made. Based roughly on the "Tempest" the film follows the crew of a star ship on an interstellar mission to Altar 4. What they find is the remains of an original expedition, 1 man, and his daughter. What they do not expect are the secrets held on the planet, left by a past civilisation that bought their world to and end, and could end the present world. The climatic build up is fantastic. Another bonus is that the film bought us "Robbie the Robot" for the first time.

Forbidden you say?

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
5 March 2006

It's the year 2200 AD and a spaceship has been dispatched to the planet Altair 4 to find out how the mission that were assigned to colony of scientists is going. Led by Commander John Adams, the crew find out that there are only two survivors and that being Dr. Morbius and his divine daughter Altaia. Plus also there is multi-task robot Robbie. After being forced to stay on the planet for a little while longer Adam learns from Morbius that the planet was run by a superior race that wiped itself overnight and they left behind some amazing technology. Everything is not all that peaceful, while on this planet an invisible monster is terrorising Adams' crew. Is there a relation between the monster and Morbius, now that's the question?

Now, this is what you call a tremendous Sci-fi fantasy! Influentially groundbreaking Sci-fi with a deeply thoughtful story to wrap around its visceral goldmine. Yep, I'm not lying! As a youngster this was one of my favourite movies, sure I didn't entirely grasp the context, but the images it packed was a stunning sight and how could you not get a kick out of Robbie the Robot. No matter when your born (myself the 80s), it's hard not to I appreciate the skillfulness of the production compared with many amongst that period. So, it was a good treat to revisit it after not seeing it in quite awhile. What really amazes me that it was released in 1958 and even today the film designs and F/X still look pristine in shape! The film's edgy exterior is colourfully rich and detailed across the board, which mostly everything holds up to scratch. There are artistically stylish impressions evident and the backdrop is pretty much an oil painting. Throw in the usual snazzy gizmos' and gadgets to make you go "Wow, we're in the future!" Though, this visual touch does provide a very atmospheric creator, where everything seems bigger than its actually is. What also gave it a spectral feel was the bellowing electronic score that captures the barren feel with its range of bizarre and alienating sounds.

The stimulating plot asserts a Shakespearean theme lifted right out of "The Tempest" with many scientific and human psyche complexities weaved into the spirited story. Plus throw in a love triangle sub-plot that's there to show Altaia sexual awaking. Just like other reviewers have mention it's a thinking man's (or woman's) story. Throughout the script where given thorough and metaphorical messages that are uniquely clever in its final revelation. These added additions seem to skyrocket it above the usually simple Sci-fi jib of its time and actually, the story doesn't feel that forced, or dated by today. The very talky script was pretty observant and it chucked in some humour to lighten it up, though dialog did get some leaden treatment at times. The film is pretty much a real slow grinder that exercises the suspense in many rigid stages in the dying half-an-hour, where the real terror begins. The moment we see the invisible beast in pure form, it's a purely great light-show and one of the more excellent scenes in the film. The minimal violence dabs in a bit of suggestiveness, but also provides an ounce of mayhem in one certain attack. The performances are all but sound with likes of Walter Pigeon as the stubborn Dr. Morbius and Robbie the charismatic robot making the more impressionable and convincing portrayals. Leslie Nielsen and Anne Francis as John Adams and Altaia were solid enough, without making huge head way.

Simply a reflective classic genre piece in every way!

The first serious Sci-Fi movie.

Author: zybch from Victoria, Australia
15 September 2005

What can I say? Forbidden Planet scared the bejesus out of me when I first saw it at age 7 at my aunt's house. I had nightmares about the id creature breaking down the door for weeks afterwards :) It was the first sci-fi worth mentioning that took itself seriously with no sly winks to the camera as if to say 'we know its a guy in a rubber suit, but just play with us here'. Its also the first movie to ever have used a fully electronically synthesized score. The sets are great, the visual effects still stand up brilliantly today (except that blasted robot, the only weak point in the film) and it proves that Leslie Neilsen was once capable of serious roles.

Recommended for fans of sci-fi

Author: Stanley Strangelove from Portland, Oregon US
23 August 2005

If you're a fan of sci-fi films you have to see Forbidden Planet. Like all older films, the FX look dated but don't let that stop you from enjoying this movie. Made in 1956, the visual production values in FP were very high for their time. The huge painted backdrops of the planet are spectacular. The interior of Morbius's house looks like a Frank Lloyd Wright house. The sets of the alien culture are really interesting especially when you see their power plant. I always thought Robby the Robot was downright silly.

The plot itself is probably the most sophisticated in science fiction films with its idea of monsters from the Id. The music score is unique. It's completely electronic blips and bleeps and though it sounds dated today it deserves points for being experimental.

A great science fiction movie - superb effects and nice story!

Author: Malte006 from OJ, Denmark
21 June 2005

I just saw this movie on my first viewing and it really impressed me! Being a Sci-Fi fan the picture was a clear "must see" for me.

I didn't know what directly to expect - its star was the "now turned comedy actor" Leslie Nielsen. I really like some of his never spoofs but I haven't really seen him in a "serious" or "non-comedy" role before; except his small performance in "The Poseidon Adventure", which I really loved - though it was a really small role.

Beside Mr. Nielsen, the stars of the movie are the two time Oscar nominee Walter Pigeon and Anne Francis. I haven't seen anything from either of the two before.

Well, to the movie. I didn't have the big expectations once I started - but after the movie really started I really found it interesting. It has a great design, both costume and art-direction; very futuristic and you can see on the most of the set, that it was made in 1950s. But that isn't a problem at all - actually it gives the movie a really cool-retro look - giving this movie a real charm!

The acting wasn't great - but it suddenly wasn't bad either! Like the production design and costumes I really loved the special effects. It is a really magnificent piece of work for the time in which it was made. And the script story was marvelous. It really never stands still, and the story is always evolving!

A MUST SEE - not only for hardcore Sci-Fi fans!