IMDb > Forbidden Planet (1956) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forbidden Planet

Forbidden Planet More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 30: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

forbidden planet

Author: dav07dan02 from spokane, usa
8 June 2005

Director:Fred Wilcox, Script:CyrilHume, Staring:Walter Pigeon, Anne Francis,Leslie Nielsen.

Forbidden Planet is one of the highlights of the golden age of sci-fi from the period between 1950 and 1962. It is considered to be the first film to have an electronic music score. It was filmed in colour in cinemascope that was popular in the 1950's and is to the 1950's what Kubrick's 2001 a space odyssey was to the 1960's and Lucas's star wars was to the 1970's. If you like the star wars movies, give this a try. I see many influence's. Roby, the robot is like the robot on Irwin Allen's lost in space or even c3po in Star Wars.It also deals with a "greater force" like Star Wars. Watch this and see how the special effects have changed in 50 years! This movie was very impressive for its time. Walter Pigeon is great as Dr. Morbius as well as his beautiful daughter Altaira played by Anne Francis. This also features an early performance by Leslie Nielsen. The first pc the "Altair" got its name from this film.

Hey! Not bad at all for its age.

Author: Travis_Moran from Canada
5 May 2005

Wow. There have been a lot of reviews for this old movie. That says a lot in itself.

I just saw this movie for the first time several days ago. I picked up a used DVD of it for $3. Glad I did as I really like it.

I expected something totally corny as the cover of the DVD has a robot carrying off a scantily-clad woman like some comic book drivel. So, imagine my surprise when there was actually a decent plot and some rather good acting. The weird audio score impressed me too. It added a novel atmosphere to the whole production. Effects were impressive for way back in the 50s too. The invisible monster had me tense which a lot of newer movies can't come close to doing.

The only thing that seemed a little bogus was Anne Francis being so naive concerning men. She sure was a looker though.

That robot is way cool. I've seen it in some other movies too. I really need one of those around the house eh.

Now some people might find this movie a little slow in places. But, it has such a good story compared to other movies of that era that it's only a minor flaw. Lovers of pure sci-fi will eat this one up.

This is a movie I'll be able to watch many times, which is saying a lot for me. Anyone who cares a whit for sci-fi ought to check this one out.

First Rate 1950s Science Fiction - But not a perfect "The Tempest" clone

Author: theowinthrop from United States
25 September 2007

Because of some clunky dialog (but not much) I can't give FORBIDDEN PLANET the "10" I want to give it. But aside from that, it demonstrates what science fiction films could have been like in the 1930s to 1950s if the major studios had given them serious productions. With a good cast headed by Walter Pidgeon, Leslie Nielson, Warren Stevens, Anne Francis, Jack Kelly, and Earl Holiman, it is an update (but not a perfect one) of Shakespeare's final great play, THE TEMPEST, set in outer space. More of that point later,

The sets, given earlier examples (compare with say the typical "mad scientist" sets at Universal in the 1930s), are rather good looking. Doorways show to us what the long dead "Krell" race was supposed to look like. When a scientific marvel of these dead geniuses is shown by Dr. Morbius (Pidgeon) to Commander John Adams (Nielsen) and Lt. "Doc" Ostrow (Kelly) it's size (20 miles of machine on either side of the center, harnessing the energy of the planet) is really plausible. The robot "Robbie" is a little dated after R-2D-2 and C3PO in STAR WARS, but that had 1970 style concepts in mind. I assure you, if you see a science fiction film of 2107 they would make STAR WARS seem dated in the style of appearance of things. One also has to congratulate the imaginative way the film shows the real danger the crew faces when they finally see it.

Care was given to this production, which is really not so much Shakespeare as a moral and ethics lesson about pride, arrogance, and Greek hubris. THE TEMPEST did have a similar situation, with Prospero (the original for Morbius) and his daughter Miranda (Altaira - Francis' role here) living on an island that Morbius has turned into his kingdom through magic. But it's a stretch to make Robbie a clone of Shakespeare's Ariel, and there is no character to match Caliban, the actual heir of the island who is now Prospero's slave. Moreover, Prospero wants to return to his rightful place in Europe as Duke of Milan (in the play his position was usurped by his brother, now shipwrecked on the island with others). Morbius likes existing on the planet with his daughter, untouched by other humans, and studying Krell wisdom and science. It's not a perfect match by any means*.

(*Oddly enough, Shakespeare's play was inspired by a situation similar to Nielsen's crew exploring space. A fleet of ships headed for the new colony of Jamestown (in Virginia) was partly wrecked in the Bahamas. The ship, with the new governor, had to be repaired, and finally arrived in Jamestown months later, after everyone thought the crew and passengers were lost.)

FORBIDDEN PLANET is about how a great civilization can have rot at it's center by arrogance and cruelty. It is an ethics lesson we constantly have to watch out for, as Nielsen, Francis, Stevens and Pidgeon (the last two too late) realize, due to the unfortunate baser feelings of human beings. As such it is far more important than just a well made "what wonders the future show us" science fiction film. It becomes a worthy film classic to watch again and again.

Vintage sci-fi

Author: blanche-2 from United States
19 May 2006

"Forbidden Planet" is a sci-fi film from the '50s, which also brought you "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and other great films of the genre. A couple of things set me apart from the rest of the reviewers. First of all, I'm not a particular fan of science fiction and secondly, I don't have a problem watching Leslie Nielsen in a straight role - I grew up with him being serious! This is a very entertaining film on many levels, not the least of which is its cast of up and coming TV stars - Nielsen, Jack Kelly, Richard Anderson, Earl Holliman, and Anne Francis. Walter Pigeon plays the mysterious Dr. Morbius. And let's not forget the sonorous voice of Marvin Miller as Robbie the Robot - Michael Anthony of "The Millionaire"! This movie is fantastic for baby boomers. Robbie, by the way, gives a great performance and has some of the best lines in the movie.

Pre-Star Wars movies are always to be admired for their special effects - before computers really took over. The effects in "Forbidden Planet" are tremendous and it's a neat story, too, about a spaceship that lands on a planet inhabited by only two people and a robot. They learn that all of the members of a previous expedition were killed by an unknown entity, to which Dr. Marbius and his daughter seem to be immune.

This is a very talky movie, as in those days, scripts were wordier. Nevertheless, it is highly entertaining. One of the most interesting things in the movie is the "music" - all done with electronic instruments. It really adds to the other-wordly atmosphere and suspense. And don't we wish we all had a Robbie!

"Forbidden Planet" is the real first Star Trek Episode.

Author: mutilated from Germany
20 May 2005

I don't know this for a fact, but I can imagine that "Forbidden Planet" inspired Gene Roddenberry to create "Star Trek". Just look at all the elements this revolutionary film contained that we later take for granted in "Star Trek". Beaming (of sorts) right down to the same look of the transporter cells. The effect is similar, too. The "threesome" of officers including Capt. and Doctor. Robby the Robot is Spock/Data without emotions but with a mind like a computer and the strength of many men. The entire motion picture reminds one of the debut episode of "Star Trek", The Cage. Illusions, figments of the imagination, the works. That's why I say: "Forbidden Planet is the first real Star Trek episode!" - ten years before this was first aired! Try watching "Forbidden Planet" again with this angle in mind, and by all means tell us what you think!

Could be the best...

Author: Michael Stephens from Point Richmond, CA
9 December 2001

...sci-fi film ever. I was age 9 when it was released, and I begged, borrowed and stole to get more money to see it over and over and over...much the same as with some kids of the Star Wars generation. It is simply an elegant, thrilling and stunning production all around, with special effects that were mind-boggling in 1956 and are still damned impressive. The exciting, suspenseful script is intelligently adapted from Shakespeare and Walter Pidgeon is magisterial among a well-chosen cast. The lethal, unstoppable and invisible Id is the most terrifying monster ever. Most of all, Forbidden Planet radiates a majestic sense of magic made real that is most unforgettable. A Very Beautiful Movie!

Star Trek 1956

Author: lazlovandor from Caracas
3 January 2016

I saw this movie the first time 58 years ago, back in 1958. I didn't understand most part of the plot because of my lack of English knowledge but I liked it. Now, in 2016, I still like it the and after all that time, I feel it is still enjoyable. My current impression is that definitively, you see its influence in the Star Trek series. After all those years the movie has not lost its "sci-fi" quality, even if the electronic equipment displayed lacks the sophistication of current systems. No explanation is given about how "speed of light" paradox is solved; actually neither Star Trek gives a really convincing theory. Hyper light drive simply works. Well, if you see Rush about F1 races with James Hunt and Niki Lauda no one expects much explanations about car mechanics. So, what we have is a convincing SF movie, with no humanoid monsters running around.

It should be obvious that this spaceship should have no communication problems with base; the explanation is not convincing.

By the way, the most serious technological flaw is the "cookie" character. Does someone seriously may imagine that a hyperlight spaceship from the XXIII century needs a "cook"?

Just funny that Commander Adams solved the mystery that led to the auto destruction of a civilization one million times more advanced than the human.

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Author: Lukec1229 from United States
17 December 2015

The ideas and the backstory set up and built around the mysterious ancient advanced alien race, were probably the best aspects of this film. The acting and dialogue wasn't altogether that great and a lot of what the characters did seemed not all too realistic either. Another thing I didn't find particularly good about this film was the little love plot that seemed kind of just thrown into the mix because of no good reason, it felt a little fake, extraneous, and unrealistic. The redeeming factor in the film was the mystery behind the planet and the monster, which actually ended up focusing on the inner mental subconsciousness of humans, which I thought made a creative and interesting sci-fi monster.

Sci fi classic

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
8 October 2015

Probably one of the most influential sci fi movies of all time. You can see its influence in most episodes of Star Trek, and similar movies/series. Even gave the Krell hi fi company its name...

Very original and intriguing plot, with an interesting and plausible scientific background. Some of the sub-plots are a bit silly though, especially the romantic angle. Special effects were probably revolutionary for their time.

Performances are a bit wooden. Walter Pidgeon, as Dr Morbius, is the worst of the lot: every bit of his dialogue seems like a pre-written speech. Lesle Nielsen, in only his second movie, is not too bad though. Anne Francis provides the eye candy (and I'm not complaining...). Cast also includes Richard Anderson.

A sci fi classic.

A hugely entertaining classic Sci-Fi film with deeper layers...

Author: CasaK from Belgium
23 December 2014

This is a really engaging and brilliantly smart classic sci-fi film that inventively exposes what could possibly be human's greatest ultimate intrinsic tragedy:

Our animalistic, irrational subconscious side. "Id".

The film's Freudian theme is very cleverly metaphorized through thoughtful, seemingly unimportant details (the cook's lust for drinking, the men's lust for the daughter, etc.) and more obvious representations (the tiger jumping at the commander and the daughter, the robot being the most likable and flawless character in the whole movie, the invisible monster, etc.) during the whole film. It's really amazing how well thought out this film is. Every single aspect of it can be given meaning in the context of the film's main theme.

Even though the story very much (almost exclusively) focuses on the specific observation that's being made about human nature, the film still feels very rich, because of the high ambition that was obviously at the basis of the film's sci-fi context. - First of all, the technical aspect of the film perfectly works, the locations look really good (especially by the standards of that time) and it's just a joy to watch it. - Secondly, the ideas in this story are BIG and the film cleverly takes its time to explicate the film's story and environment. We really get to know and explore this film's sci-fi universe. I love that!

The film kind of made me think of Tarkovsky's Stalker in a certain (far-fetched) way. Stylistically, the films couldn't be further apart, but both movies touch on very similar topical issues, in my opinion. So, don't expect this picture to be a high level philosophical film or anything like that. It just tells an exciting sci-fi adventure that happens to have very interesting substantial aspects to it when studied more intensively. It's said to be loosely inspired by Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'.

Back to the small comparison I wanted to make between both films. In Forbidden Planet, we witness why extremely developed technology in the hands of mankind can be dangerous (it's told in a very symbolic manner, but the argument the film's making is very clear) and in Stalker, we basically get a meditation on why the existence of the "supernatural" (a sort of "wishing room" in this case) could be more dangerous than positive, when it can be manipulated by men. In other words, two of mankind's biggest wishes are fulfilled, but ultimately seem to have unforeseen negative side effects, because there seems to be something wrong with us!

Both films basically talk about the tragic unreliability of humanity. We can't trust other people and we can't even trust ourselves, because we never fully have control over neither of the two. There's a potential monster in all of us, even if there aren't any bad intentions... The point is not to be scared, but to be aware of the 'Id'-aspect of your nature. Don't deny its existence and don't be blind for its possible consequences.

"It will remind us that we are, after all, not God."