IMDb > Bundle of Joy (1956) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bundle of Joy

Bundle of Joy More at IMDbPro »

I was the baby - wow, what a star!

Author: Dave Gray (psboy@charter.net) from Seattle, Washington
5 September 2003

I might be considered biased in my view because my twin brother Don and I played the baby in Bundle of Joy. We were only a year old, and lived in the San Fernando Valley area of L.A. when we were picked out of approximately 200 sets of twin boys to be the baby in the movie. Over the years, I have heard my mom and other relatives tell many stories of the filming of this movie, and being VIP guests at the premier movie opening in Hollywood. I have, of course, seen the movie countless times over the years, and still like to watch it and laugh at the cute smiling babies we once were. My mom had to be on the set with us whenever we were filming, by state law. She has told us that Debbie Reynolds was a truely remarkable actress and treated us extremely well. Adolphe Menjou treated us like his own grand kids. Unfortunately, she also said that not everyone in the movie industry was so nice, and our parents decided not to sign a contract with RKO Pictures which would have allowed us to be in more films. Oh well, our short movie career aside, we both have grown up and are very happy in our own careers. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes light-hearted films with happy endings!

Debbie Does It All!

Author: Donovan Shane Clifton from Panama City, Florida
25 October 1998

Many times have I wondered what Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher were like in their careers (I'm a Star Wars buff). I finally sat down and saw this film. I must say that after watching, I just loved it and wanted more. Since then Debbie Reynolds has become my favorite actress ever. After seeing this I raced to my mother for more info. and she told me of the trouble that followed. I was severely disappointed, because the chemistry in this film was superb. Among the highlights is Debbie's ability to use her magnificent talent to use subtle face gestures to get across the idea of what she is thinking. Eddie was less so, but did an average job. But after hearing the truth, everytime I re-watch this film, I can't help but imagine Eddie with horns on his head or a dunce cap a mile tall. Debbie's charm is the main reason to see this film. She steals the show, the script, the clothes, and anything else she touches. The back-up roles are performed well. This is a remake of the earlier film, "Bachelor Mother." If anyone but Debbie were in the lead, this movie would stink, but it gets a solid 3 stars from me (out of 4).

One of the best movies ever!!

Author: sairabee from United States
16 January 2006

I rarely comment on movies, but after seeing the other review for this film I felt compelled to write and tell everyone to ignore the other comment! If you like musicals, you'll love this. If you don't like musicals - well, what are you doing here in the first place? It's campy. It's cute. The songs (especially "How I love my pretty baby") are catchy and the story line is fun to follow. I've seen it dozens of times and highly recommend it! I would say it's my favorite Debbie Reynolds movie next to Singin' in the Rain. Can't wait for the DVD release! Seriously people! Take my advice! This is a must see for all musical lovers, or Debbie Reynolds lovers! Don't hesitate another second! Buy it already!

Hey you r u crazy?

Author: jenilawlor from United Kingdom
22 February 2006

I'm asking whether the other person is crazy as i loved Bundle of Joy, the character's had great chemistry and great songs. I adore the songs such as 'worry about another day' and 'Someday soon can't come too soon..' It is one of those few simple feel good movies which rarely come around but when they do they capture your heart. As for the comment on about the song 'It's all about Love' which the previous person hated i enjoyed and the joke about don't tell so and so wasn't supposed to be a roll over the floor and cry joke but one that could produce a smile or giggle which for me it did. The person who posted the response must not have good taste in movies to say what they did. I however a huge fan of films and musicals end up watching that film over and over again. For it is one of the greats which could stand next to seven brides for seven brothers. Any true lover of films and musicals must see this and if they ever see it on sell to post it as i live in the UK and only have a taped version. TTFN

musical remake of 'bachelor mother.' Debbie Reynolds shines; Eddie fisher flops

Author: gaynor.wild from nashville, tn
25 December 2007

"Bachelor Mother" was a delightful movie, but one can imagine why a musical, in color, remake would crop up. Debbie Reynolds as Polly Parrish was a good choice, and wound up carrying the movie. Eddie Fisher, as the junior Merlin, was not such a good choice. Many other actors at the time would have been far better. Had someone like Donald O'Connor had the role, it could have been an unmitigated success. Too bad Fisher got the job.

Overall, the movie is delightful. The basic plot, of a sales clerk in a large department store who winds up with a baby that's not hers, but that no one believes is not hers, is an excellent set-up for comedy. This one does a good job. "Bachelor Mother" does a better job. And an even better one may pop up in the future.

gaynor wild

A Bundle of Possibilities

Author: arieliondotcom from United States
14 December 2007

You've got to take this movie for what it is. A musical. What was interesting to me was seeing Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher together in the height of their relationship. It's a bit dated, but still has catchy tunes (I especially liked Fisher's "Someday Soon"...but I'm a bachelor so maybe I'm prejudiced).

How ironic, though, to see these two who had so many possibilities playing a couple in love when they were in love themselves. Yes, there's chemistry, but they should show this movie to potential drug addicts and drunks to warn them about what Eddie Fisher could have been and what his self-admitted dependencies made him become.

There was so much the two of them had and could have had, Eddie and Debbie,and so much they lost because of his weakness of character. Sad.

A bittersweet story, not in the plot, but in the shadow of reality cast over it by their true life stories. Still worth seeing and hearing, though.

What would I do without TCM?

Author: Jade-16 from Cincinnati, Ohio
29 December 2002

I saw this movie on Turner Classic Movies quite accidentally. I was just channel surfing and then I heard that corny announcer (not Robert Osborne) say to stay tuned for "Bundle of Joy" starring Debbie Reynolds. Well, being a Debbie Reynolds fan, I stayed tuned! I became even more interested in seeing this film when I realized that Eddie Fisher also starred. I had never seen a film of his, and I was curious to see the former couple on screen together. Well, I thought this film was very entertaining and funny. Debbie Reynolds was wonderful as usual, and even though I was determined to not like Fisher (because he left not only Debbie Reynolds with two children, but also Connie Stevens!), he was charming as well. His songs were great, and, I hate to admit it, but he was awfully cute too.

If you get the chance, try to catch this film on TCM. It is one of the funnier musicals I've ever seen (and I have seen just about all of them!).

Too Cute for Comfort

Author: wes-connors from Earth
14 May 2011

During the merry Christmas season, perky department store salesgirl Debbie Reynolds (as Polly Parish) is fired because so many of her customers return their ware. She passes an orphanage and picks up a cute baby. Everyone assumes Ms. Reynolds is the baby's mother. This helps Reynolds get her job back, from singing store owner's son Eddie Fisher (as Dan Merlin), who also gives Reynolds a raise. Soon, the handsome crooner is harmonizing with the cute clerk. This musical re-make of "Bachelor Mother" (1939) is fairly well-suited to the real-life married couple, who simultaneously produced their own "Bundle of Joy" (Carrie Fisher)...

A major recording star upon the film's release, Mr. Fisher was so popular he survived the initial onslaught of "rock and roll" - but was about to fall. Fisher last hit the "Top Ten" in 1956. It didn't help that "Bundle of Joy" was lacking in hit single material, with Fisher's "Some Day Soon" barely cracking the record charts in early 1957. Reynolds was a much better actress, and reached her greatest popularity after she and Fisher divorced. Unfortunately, this is it for the popular twosome's musical comedy film career. They look good and sing sweetly together - their "Lullaby in Blue" sung to their "Pretty Baby" was brimming with potential.

******** Bundle of Joy (12/12/56) Norman Taurog ~ Eddie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds, Tommy Noonan, Adolphe Menjou

BACHELOR MOTHER is the better version...

Author: abcj-2 from South Carolina, USA
12 April 2011

BUNDLE OF JOY

I was excited to watch this remake of BACHELOR MOTHER. I loved the story and hoped it would be just as appealing with Debbie Reynolds as the star. Debbie did a great job with what she had, especially in the scenes with the adorable baby, but her real life husband Eddie Fisher lacked the charisma and maturity to capture my attention. I found myself comparing him to David Niven from the original movie and easily one of the most charismatic actors ever in my opinion. Fisher not only paled in comparison, but also came across as a boy and certainly not a man even in his musical numbers. He does have a spectacular singing voice. I'll give him that. I absolutely adore Adolphe Menjou particularly from YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER, POLLYANNA, & LITTLE MISS MARKER. I thought he did a fine job in the supporting cast.

Even if I had seen this version first, then I think I would have felt the same about it as it just came off as rather mediocre entertainment. If you love these actors, then you may disagree, but I found the original screenplay and film to be the real bundle of joy for me.

One of my all time favourites with great singalong songs

Author: netty8 from United Kingdom
19 April 2006

My sister and I adore this film. We love everything about it - the actors, the costumes, the baby and most of all the music. We have both sung the 'Lullaby in Blue' song to our children, and they now sing it too. Debbie Reynolds acting was a dream and Eddie was great - who couldn't love the baby? Polly Parishes work mates were perfectly cast her admirer was suitably goofy, and her friend had a hard exterior but a warm heart. It is wonderfully kitsch and fun - just what 1950's musicals were all about - a good love story with lots of lovely sets, clothes and humour. We are just very sad that it is not yet available in England, on DVD or video, as we only have one recorded copy. It was nominated for a Golden Globe at the time, so it must have had some high critical acclaim. A must watch film for all romantics and fun loving people!