IMDb > The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

What A Great Idea!

Author: teuthis (Teuthis@knology.net) from Columbus, Georgia
15 January 2006

Mix Guy Madison, at the peak of his popularity, a genuine western with a great villain, a fair-to-middling fight, a cattle stampede, a comely heroine torn between love and obligation, an unintentionally obnoxious little Mexican boy, a mysterious, deadly creature lurking in a vast- well maybe- swamp, and you have a terrific science fiction oater that for some reason seems irresistible for me. I remember this film from childhood, and it has been so rare over the years. I cannot even find it on DVD. It is appearing on cable now and I do not miss an opportunity to watch.

As low budget as the film was, I think the monster moves quite well; especially when it is running. And I love that tongue! Once the beast appears, the film ramps up the action and never stops until the end.

This is somehow a spellbinding film. Go figure! You can laugh at its low budget antics, you can enjoy the romance, you can hiss at the villain, or just enjoy the monster. This film is really entertaining; a tribute to the attracting power that Guy Madison always had on film. Get yourself a good beer, some gummy dinosaurs, lean back and have fun!

This is no 'King Kong', but it's still a treat.

Author: G.Spider
30 June 1999

It is said that a mountain surrounded by a swamp is hollow and that a prehistoric monster from 'the dawn of time' comes out during times of drought to stalk the land.

Alright, so the plot lacks any sense of reality (there would have to be a whole race of dinosaurs for them to survive until the present day). The special effects also leave something to be desired. But look over these faults and you'll find that this film is actually very enjoyable and entertaining. The dinosaur isn't revealed until the last twenty minutes, but when it shows its face there's non-stop action, and for once the dinosaur can move fast and so poses a genuine threat. The dinosaur itself is fairly well-animated and there is a wonderful 'golden age of monster movies' feel about the whole thing.

Scarey to a nine-year-old

Author: Philip Shore from Asheboro, NC, USA
24 August 2002

I saw The Beast of Hollow Mountain in the theatre when I was nine. I slept under my bed for weeks. I just knew that T. Rex was going to walk up to 504 5th Avenue West and look in my second storey window and consider me a tender morsel. The world has changed considerably since this movie was in theatres. While it was just as primitive as described by the other reviewers here, this little boy had the be-Jesus scared out of him. I call that good film-making.

Not as good as Gwangi, but still enjoyable.

Author: Chris Gaskin from Derby, England
18 January 2002

The first dinosaur/cowboy movie is not as good as The Valley of Gwangi but it is still a treat.

The worse part about this movie is that the dinosaur doesn't appear until the last half-hour. It is worth the wait though. When it does appear, we get to see a pretty impressive stop-motion Allosaurus.

Although Willis O'Brien wrote the story, it would have been better if he did the stop-motion. I read somewhere where he was to have done this, but didn't due to the low budget.

The cast includes Guy Madison and Particia Madina.

This movie is worth checking out. Excellent.

Rating: 3 and a half stars out of 5.

cowboy (Guy Madison) realizes his cattle disappear because a dinosaur eats them

Author: dougbrode from United States
17 March 2006

When it came to dinosaur special effects in the 1950s, absolutely no one came close to Ray Harryhausen, and The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms still reigns as the classic of that time. Others who dared try and compete were lucky to come in a distant second, but that didn't mean there wasn't a fun quality to their films. The Beast From Hollow Mountain is one of those minor league yet highly enjoyable attempts to combine the two favorite elements of 12 to 15 year old boys when we went to the movies back in the mid-fifties: cowboys and dinosaurs. We knew Guy Madison well from his long run Wild Bill Hickock TV series, which had precious little to do with the real life of that historic character but was plenty of fun all the same. Here, he's a range rider who discovers that his cattle are disappearing. Could it be outlaws? No, the title creature, who attacks Madison, a cute little Mexican kid, the gorgeous Patricia Medina, and a whole host of vaqueros. There is (as was the case back then) precious little dinosaur footage, for the way they kept costs down back then was to 'tease' you with distant growls, but avoid showing you the real thing for as long as possible. After about an hour of this, you got maybe fifteen minutes of actual footage with the creature (who has the weirdest, wildest tongue of any dinosaur in movie history) chasing after Guy and friends with the swiftness of a professional track star. And it's a good thing they keep him offscreen, because he's at best semi-convincing when you do see him. That doesn't make this brightly colored film and less fun to watch. And the way in which Madison gets the thing at the end is a real lulu.

Incoherent ramblings

Author: chow_hound from United States
27 January 2006

How can you not love a cowboys and dinosaurs film? I saw this on TV about 15 or 20 years ago so my memories are somewhat vague, but I do remember being enthralled by the story and finding the stop-motion effects fun, if not realistic. The color must have been pretty washed out, because I was surprised to discover here that this is in fact a color film! If you love westerns and you love dinosaurs, you can't help but love this film. Sadly, there's only this and Gwangi to choose from in this rather narrow genre. I was hoping this would be released on DVD to capitalize on the King Kong publicity, but no such luck apparently. Maybe someone will do a CGI remake of this or Gwangi, since remakes are all that Hollywood seems capable of lately.

Better than your average fifties monster flick

Author: artzau from Sacramento, CA
30 January 2001

OK. So it wasn't Jurassic park. It was a Western with some great graphics and a wonderful T. Rex eating up some cattle and cowboys in Mexico. Hats off to fellow Bakersfieldean, Guy Madison, on the downside of his career in the gloaming of the Hickock days. And, don't forget that Pattie Medina was always worth the price of admission. Story? Yep. Monster emerges from mountain, eats cattle, vaqueros and cowboy kicks its tail. The action was great and fun. And, like I said before, Patricia Medina was lovely. Check it out.

Precursor to The Valley of Gwangi

Author: lorenellroy from United Kingdom
6 January 2005

This movie is scripted by Willis O'Brien ,who obviously thought so much of it ,that he used it again in 1969 for the superior The Valley of Gwangi It is a curiosity among movies, being a science fiction and Western hybrid .Mexican based rancher Jimmy -woodenly played by Guy Madison -believes that his dead cattle are the result of predators .He is thinking "Mountain lion " or "coyote " maybe .Wrong!Its a T-Rex and the pattern then follows the standard monster movie template -capture and escape ,rampage and eventually happy ever after resolution . The monster effects are okay for the era but completely overshadowed by the genius of Ray Harryhausen ,employed in the remake .Add somewhat muddy colour and you have a movie whose technical side is deficient by today's standards It still remains worth watching however if only for its being such a rare commodity in combining monster movie and Western

This is one cattle rustler they won't hang!

Author: Bruce Cook (brucemcook@windstream.net) from Fayetteville, GA
4 March 2002

Just a little south of the Texas border, the cattle ranchers are having trouble with an unusual rustler -- a Tyrannosaurus Rex. This is one of the few non-Harryhausen stop-motion films produced during the 1950s. The original concept was bought from Willis O'Brien by Edward and William Nassour, but they reneged on their promise to hire O'Brien to do the animation. The Nassours did it themselves. The animation is extremely rough, but the model of the tyrannosaurus is pretty good (except for its excessively long tongue -- it looks like a long red tentacle!)

Be prepared for a long wait before the dinosaur shows up; the first two thirds of the film is pure Western soap opera and endless filler scenes of a Mexican fiesta. The dinosaur doesn't actually make an appearance until the last twenty minutes of the film. The climax, however, is action packed -- a running battle on the open range between a hungry dinosaur and the cowboy hero, Guy Madison (star of TV's `Wild Bill Hickok' from 1954 to 1957). Patricia Medina is the lovely heroine.

Watch for a scene in which the tyrannosaurus runs after a galloping horse; the animation was done with a series of plaster models, each one posed at a different point in the running reptiles stride. Special effects processing was handled by Jack Rabin and Louis DeWitt (`Kronos' and `Atomic Submarine').

TRIVIA NOTE FOR TRUE SCI-FI FANS: The T-Rex in this movie is just one of many sci-fi monsters that were defeated by actors who achieved fame in cowboy roles. In `Tarantula' the spider is destroyed by a bomb dropped by pilot Clint Eastwood. The Martians in `War of the Worlds' are pitted against Gene Barry, star of TV's `Bat Materson'. The ants in `Them' are gunned down by James Arness of `Gunsmoke'. `The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms' dies from a radioactive bullet fired by Lee Van Cleef, star of `The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' (among others). `The Blob' proves to me no match for Steve McQueen, star of `Wanted: Dead or Alive'.

Other famous cowboys featured in 1950s sci-fi movies include Eric Fleming (`Rawhide') in `The Conquest of Space' and `Queen of Outer Space', Michael Landon (`Bonanza') in `I was a Teenaged Werewolf', and Ken Curtis (`Gunsmoke') in `The Killer Shrews'. Sci-fi veteran Richard Carlson never achieved fame as a cowboy star, but he did get to play a cowboy in Ray Harryhausen's faithful 1968 version of the ORIGINAL cowboy-versus-dinosaur idea -- which was first thought up my Willis O'Brien back in the 1930s; `Valley of Gwangi', twenty years before `Beast of Hollow Mountain'!

Interesting story line, great monster for that time period, I really enjoyed this movie.

Author: aprilalfa1 (aprilalfa1@aol.com) from Whittier, California, USA
16 August 2001

I first saw this movie as part of a group of summer matinees offered for children. Later, I remembered it when it came on TV as part of a Cable TV Monstervision. This movie has some very interesting scenes, it is good family entertainment. I will try to contact the Cable TV Networks to please air this movie so others can enjoy it. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET A COPY OF THIS MOVIE, PLEASE E-MAIL ME.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]