IMDb > Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What a Great Trip!

Author: grandpagbm from United States
3 November 2008

This is a superb movie. From the introduction by Edward R. Murrow, to the animated credits at the end, it is one continuous fabulous film. The cameo appearances in the film are fantastic, including almost everyone who was anyone in movies at the time (slight exaggeration, but it includes such stars as Frank Sinatra, Gilbert Roland, Andy Devine, John Carradine, George Raft, and Marlene Dietrich, among many others). The music is excellent, and the photography is outstanding. It is sort of a high-class travelogue, and even includes many scenes using the Durango & Silverton Railroad (a train I have ridden a couple of times). Based on the book by Jules Verne, it is a great adventure story, although quite fanciful. The stars, David Niven, Cantinflas, and Shirley MacLaine, were perfectly cast. I will watch this film again many times.

Good in DVD, but hypnotic in 70 mm!

Author: garyrcamp@aol.com from Oregon, US
2 April 2008

Around the World in 80 Days (1956) may seem good on DVD, particularly if you have a home theater, great sound, and sit close, BUT it was HYPNOTIC when projected from a 70 mm print in Todd-AO. I saw it many times that way during its long run (well over a year) in San Francisco in 1956-1957. It was one of the few films (along with 2001: A Space Odyssey) that used 70mm, and a huge deeply curved screen suggesting the arc of vision in a way that produced a truly mesmerising effect. At the time, people discussed whether the screen filling spinning world globe near the end of Edward R. Murrow's prologue could have produced true hypnotism, but, no it was just the magnificent photography, the engulfing nature of Todd-AO, the extremely powerful, involving sound (a 114 piece orchestra and 6 channel stereo, warmer and probably better than today's digital), and the high level of audience involvement.

If a fully restored 70 mm print is ever shown in one of the few remaining 70 mm theaters (e.g., in Seattle, Wash), I urge you to go!

See http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/ and http://in70mm.com/

must see for all ages

Author: raj sub from India
10 July 2007

What a lovely movie if you consider the year of production... certainly one of the top 100 movies of all time. music,dance,acting,adventure,comedy,performance,costumes,production value all in one movie... particularly the DVD collector's version is marvelously . This movie crosses the time barrier and provides entertainment to all. Particularly I enjoyed the music and colour cinematography of this movie. It is watchable across generations. The Spanish comedian and supporting actor appears to have lots of skills avoiding dupE IN BULL FIGHT SCENES. What a great producer TODD is. I understand he has produced only one movie but his contribution to the film world is huge.

My comments on the Accuracy of this Production

Author: durrant4145@rogers.com from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
23 November 2006

This production hews very closely to the original novel on which it is based, except for three things: (SPOILER! SPOILER! SPOILER!) 1. There is no balloon flight in the original novel - the characters have to make their way around the world by boat and train.

2. The trial scene - where Fogg and Passepartout are put on trial for sacrilege - is entirely missing from the film.

3. Princess Aouda is dressed in Hindu garb all throughout the movie, while in the novel it is specifically said that she is wearing "a dress of Scotch material, a large cloak, and a magnificent otter-skin coat, for which (Passepartout) did not hesitate to pay seventy-five pounds." She only appears in Hindi garb when she is first introduced during the processional to the place where she is to be sacrificed to Kali, the Goddess of love and death, which was her husband's deity.

These three problems cause me to award the movie a score of eight out of ten points.

what do you say?

Author: henryhertzhobbit from United States
25 October 2005

I think it is high time to award this movie the points it deserves. Chan may have enhanced the role of the side kick, but where is the remake in the Oscars? THIS FILM BEAT OUT THE TEN COMMANDMENTS AND OTHERS FOR BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR IN THE Oscar NOMINATIONS in 1956! It is timeless and priceless. I thank Turner and others for preserving it long into the future. Furthermore, the DVD version of the film has restored a long lost sequence of Passepartu (sp. ?) between when he was thrown from the train and the posse is formed to rescue him. I highly advise Chan fans to go back and look at the original. It may not be better, but it was first, and made with very primitive imaging equipment, and when people fell off their horse, THEY FELL OFF THEIR HORSE! Look to the source. May the source be with you.

Different End Credits

Author: tnsprin-2 from LI, NY
8 October 2004

I've been puzzled for years when I have seen the re-releases and earlier video versions. I remember seeing a different and longer set of End Credits when the picture was released and on its 70mm (Todd-AO)road show. It featured shots of the various actors in there roles. A remember in particular that they did not show Frank Sinatra's face during the film, only revealing it in the end credits.

I only saw the fully animated version when the 35mm version went around. So which version of the end credits were original attached to the movie? Was it the version I saw the original or was Bass's animated version?

Still an important DVD release.

A Wonderful Adventure

Author: Paul Arthur from London, England
6 May 1999

This is the kind of film you see when you're young and remember with fondness for the rest of your life. Based on the Jules Verne story of an English gentleman who takes his manservant around the world with him in order to try to win a wager he has made to a fellow member of his London club, it combines charm with warmth, humanity and a sense of adventure. David Niven is perfectly cast as the perfect English gentleman abroad. Needless to say, the film was made long before Hollywood decided that the only role for an Englishman was that of nasty villain! The supporting cast is wonderful too. Of course this is not a great film in the accepted sense, but it never set-out to be, and that is part of its charm! Just enjoy it.

My Personal "Favorite Film" Pick!

Author: Matt Barry from Baltimore, Maryland
24 March 1999

Wow! 1956. That was a little over 40 years ago. And here we are, today. The movie AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS has not lost any of its power. Although movies rely on "visual effects" to create scenes so spectacular that they'll attract any and everyone, there is still a place for this film. In fact, it's "bigger" than any other movie of recent years. And Victor Young's beautiful symphonic score is too great for words. It's my nomination for best film score-EVER! Of course, maybe I'm a little biased-I'm an "old movie" fan. However, I realize what I say when I say AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS is a real classic. And the guest cast! The largest EVER assembled for ONE film! Take your pick. For silent film fans, you can enjoy the antics of Buster Keaton, or even Joe E. Brown. For you music fans, there's Frank Sinatra! And the cast goes on. See Andy Devine, Victor McLaglen and Edmund Lowe, Jack Oakie, Beatrice Lillie, Col. Tim McCoy, Marlene Dietrich, and great British regulars like Robert Morley, Noel Coward, A. E. Matthews, Ronald Squire, Harcourt Williams, and even the great John Gielgud (who made his debut in a British film in 1924, and is still going strong 75 years later in films like ARTHUR[1981], SHINE[1996], and QUEST FOR CAMELOT![1998]).

Anyhow, enjoy this film. Its key ingredients are fun, adventure, and a sense of humor.

Rating:(out of *****)*****

Great Entertainment 1950's style

Author: gonzalez3751 from United States
14 February 2007

Around the World in 80 Days is fantastic adventure that takes its audience along on a terrific journey from the cosmopolitan streets of Paris to the jungles of India and on the transcontinental railroad across the American West. The film is very faithful to the novel written by Verne, and David Niven is perfectly cast as the intrepid Mr. Fogg. The cinematography is well done and the various locations that were chosen are the most exquisite spots that have ever been shown to audiences. There is a good amount of humor, and the story works well at keeping its audience interested. I had shown this film to a group of my friends who had never seen a movie that was made beefer 1978 and they were certainly astounded the enormity of the film. I highly recommend this film to anyone who enjoys great entertainment 1950's style.

Entertaining but could have been much better.

Author: Samrat Raychaudhuri from Oman
7 May 2005

The movie is about a Londoner Phileas Fogg, who bets his club members that he could go 'Around the world in 80 days'.He sets on his quest with his Man-servant Passepartout and along the way they encounter a lot of unusual situations which are overcome in equally unusual manners.All along they are pursued by a Scotland Yard detective who thinks the twosome is responsible for a Bank Robbery in England. This is a movie that i eagerly wanted to watch as i found the book by Jules Verne 'unputdownable'. I loved it very much but the 'what happens next'suspense was lacking like when you were reading the book. I know books cant be exactly converted into movies but i found the Screenplay writer omitting important incidents. Apart from that every aspect of the movie was really good and was aptly rewarded by the Academy with 5 Oscars. The casting was great as you can totally picture David Niven as Phileas Fogg. Shirley Maclaine was believable as Princess Aouda and Cantinflas as Passepartout was exceptional. A lot of cameos by Hollywood Who's who like Marlene Dietrich, Frank Sinatra etc made it interesting. If we are willing to forget the minor glitches regarding authenticity of certain facts made by Jules Verne while writing the Novel we can find the movie a wholesome entertainer which we can watch with our family.I would watch it again.

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]