IMDb > Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Movie Within a Movie

Author: jasonbourneagain from United States
12 September 2005

I watched this movie as a Saturday matinée (rerelease) as a kid and will tell you it was funny, but not as funny as It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World which came almost a decade later with its Cinerama screenings. Cantiflas was a big Mexican star and I remember his name being plastered all over the place in the Mission District in San Francisco. His performance in this movie was excellent and should have been nominated for an Oscar. He did win a Golden Globe for best actor.

Watching it again about forty years later was still fun, but this time I was watching for cameos and the locations it was shot. The movie is an example of great family entertainment from the 50s (saw it the first time in the 60s). Jules Verne's imaginative story is pretty much straight-forward. I saw it on widescreen DVD which made it a real treat. The biggest treat was at the end for me. I have been reading about the genius and first great title designer Saul Bass and his capture of Around the World in 80 Days was absolutely awesome to watch. It's a movie within a movie.

Slowish but worthy travelogue....

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
11 December 2004

Yah, I agree this is too long, too slow in parts, and the cameos are a bit much--Sinatra at the piano, Andy Devine on the boat, etc-kinda distracting if you aren't paying close attention. I enjoyed it just the same.

Where else can you see greats like Cedric Hardwicke or Ronald Colman- from the India segment, or Robert Newton(who I had forgotten was in this) for that matter? It's great. Movies like this are meant to just be enjoyed, ankle deep but miles wide.

Things to enjoy-Ronald Colman/Hardwicke/Victor McLaglen, Red Skelton, Philip Ahn. The great scenery from Spain, India, Japan, etc. The collapsing Bridge. The balloon segment, grabbing snow from the mtn top, etc. All fun.

Things that don't work so well-well, it IS too slow, it could have used some tightening up, Fogg is basically a cartoony character, and the plot is just a linear travelogue. I liked Niven and the plotting, but--if it hasn't grabbed you by 15 minutes, then it ain't gonna get any better for you, for that is all the movie consists of-3 hours of it.

Shirley Mclaine as an Indian Princess--that takes some stretching of the imagination too, though she is certainly a looker at that age.

Enjoy this for what it's worth, certainly it's NOT better than other 1956 classics-10 Commandments, the Searchers, etc--but it isn't bad.

*** outta ****

A big, fun movie

Author: witteafval from United States
24 May 2004

I first saw this on video as a little kid and immediately fell in love with it--the locations, art direction, cinematography and music really go a long way towards making this a quality film.

Some wonder why it earned the Best Picture award for 1957, and I think the answer is just in comparing it to the movies up against it: Friendly Persuasion, Giant, The King and I, and The Ten Commandments. I've only seen the latter two and can easily understand why Around the World took the statue. The best thing about The King and I was Yul Brynner (and he did get an Oscar for that), and The Ten Commandments is just too over-the-top and hammy in its performances to belong in the same league as Around the World, in my opinion.

The book this is based on is also a fun read, from France's best-known science fiction writer Jules Verne. In the book there was no balloon ride or visit to Spain, which is a major change from the movie, and the other notable change was the omission in the film of Passepartout's encounter with a Mormon preacher as they crossed America on the train. But such changes aside, the spirit of the book was captured very well.

My favorite moment: Red Skelton's cameo in a San Francisco saloon. Fun for all ages, this movie is. A nice charming gem from the end of Hollywood's golden age.

An Enjoyable Adventure

Author: sddavis63 ( from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
18 May 2003

Based on the Jules Verne novel of the same name, the movie is an enjoyable adventure that the whole family can watch. David Niven put on a wonderful performance as wealthy Phileas Fogg, the staunchly English adventurer who wagers with his friends at the Reform Club that he can travel around the world in 80 days - not an easy task in 1872, when the movie is set. From that point on, we follow Fogg's adventures with his valet Passepartout (Cantinflas) as they battle against time to win the wager.

There's a good use of humour throughout the movie. In particular, I enjoyed several scenes which demonstrate the English insistence on tea time, whatever the circumstances. While perhaps not culturally accurate, the movie also tries to give a flavour of the places that Fogg visits on his journey. So we see a Spanish bullfight, an Indian religious procession, a Chinese dragon dance, an American election and a fight against the "redskins" during a train trip from San Francisco to New York. All in good fun, and all enjoyable. There are also a number of cameos included (Buster Keaton, Frank Sinatra, John Gielgud among others) so keep an eye on who you're watching.

The movie did slow to a crawl in a few places, mind you (I particularly think of the length of time we had to watch Fogg and Passepartout doing nothing in particular in the balloon.) However, overall the movie was quite enjoyable, if a little long at almost three hours. I don't know if this is an integral part of the movie or was just included on the version I saw, but this was worth watching if only for the first ten minutes or so, in which a narrator spoke about Jules Verne and then narrated the wonderful movie from the early 1900's based on Verne's story "A Trip To The Moon" as a lead-in to "... 80 Days."

The name "Cantinflas" always fascinated me!

Author: uds3 from Longmont, Colorado
17 March 2002

1956 - what a time of freedom and crystal clean living (or was it?) I saw this film at its London premiere in 1956 and then a few weeks later with the school. It was one of the biggest movie events up until that time. A "mega-colossal" production that truly lived up to expectations.

Mike Todd never set out to make a classic film. Entertainment was his game and ATWIED achieved just that - WITH just about the who's who of Hollywood at the time! It could even be said that Toddy himself gave birth to the "cameo" with this film.

It remains today the ultimate adventure trip, a cinematic beacon just dying to be crucified at the hands of someone like John McTiernan or maybe Tim Burton who with $200 million at their disposal surely come up with yet another mind-numbingly pathetic remake. What about Eric Idle as Phileas Fogg and maybe Heath Ledger in Cantinflas' old role. At least Sir John Gielgud is still around to lend the thing some class!

Superb childhood memories accompany this film and even for those who have never seen it, here is a flick will still wipe the floor with most anything you're likely to see at your local multi-screen complex!

Overblown, but fun

Author: rollo_tomaso ( from New York, NY
24 June 2001

This leisurely paced epic is jocular and is a cameo-appearance-watcher's heaven. It's all a bit too top-heavy to support a rather simple story. But Cantinflas is a lot of fun as Passepartout, and Robert Newton is marvelous as Niven's nemesis, Fix. Shirley MacLaine lends her beauty and wit to the proceedings as Princess Aouda. The film seems to stop for spectacular cinematography and the cameos at times. But, it is still beautiful and enjoyable.

But, speaking of Newton and MacLaine, I must take IMDB to task for this one although I recognize they are merely copying from the film's cast list. Still, when one transforms from one medium to another, some judgment must be exercised. In order for the uninitiated to find out that Newton and MacLaine (two of the film's four major characters) are even in the film, one must click on the blue more button for additional cast members, One normally does not bother to do this because all one normally sees are credits for the likes of Jennifer Baliniczewski, Haley Tiresius, Forrest J. Ackerman, Zvi Frischman, and Skip Jackson.

Please IMDB, bring Newton and MacLaine up front with Niven and Cantinflas. The movie's top stars should be featured at the top. Then the rest can be listed alphabetically.

Good adventure, but too dated for modern times.

Author: machwa from Connecticut, U.S.A.
25 January 2000

"Around the World in 80 Days" is a nice globetrotting romp, but it loses its excitement in a world where now people can travel the globe in mere hours. David Niven plays an excellent Phileas Fogg and Cantinflas is a refreshing new face showing off his Chaplin-esque abilities as Passepartout. As with many films of the 50's, "Around the World in 80 Days" is more of a spectacle than a film. Producer Todd and director Mike Anderson seem more focused on extravagance rather than plot. However, how much can be done when the goal is to follow Mr. Fogg through his wager-instigated journey? Overall, the film is a good one to save for a rainy day. Some aspects of the film are just unnecessary, such as Passepartout's seemingly unending bullfight or the Spanish flamenco dance. But these scenes are hardly a bother, especially with the neverending list of cameo appearances. Just playing "spot the star" is worth a viewing of the film.

Best Adventure Movie Ive ever seen

Author: Taz750 from California
18 January 1999

It's really amazing how so many critics and reviewers are stupid in underrating this movie.. If those morons have not found out yet that the main element of it is fun, they never will.. Much better an adventure movie than even so called classics like The Wizard Of Oz .. As a child watching the movie was exhilarating and it's like a 2 hour trip through history.. a great movie

A merry romp

Author: Matthew Ignoffo ( from Eatontown, NJ, USA
3 August 1998

Mike Todd created the movie cameo -- a big star in a bit part. But recognizing the stars in the little parts is just one element of the fun in the film, and even if the viewer doesn't recognize the stars, the film is still enjoyable. Jules Verne's classic is given royal treatment here, and we viewers are taken along for one of the most entertaining quick tours ever conceived. Even the closing credits, which are done as a cartoon retelling of the whole movie, are entertaining.

And it feels like every minute ...

Author: Martin Bradley ( from Derry, Ireland
28 September 2006

This monstrously overblown 'entertainment' didn't just win the Oscar as the year's Best Picture but was also chosen by that august body, The New York Film Critic's Circle; it was hardly their finest hour. It's a producer's movie rather than a director's, (the producer was that showman Mike Todd), and he assembled a massive cast of 'stars' to appear in cameo roles to boost the film's box-office appeal and he made it in his own spectacular widescreen format, Todd-AO. Certainly everything about it was big and you felt like you were taking 80 days to watch it.

The main parts of Phileas Fogg, the intrepid gentleman-adventurer, and his man-servant, Passepartout, went to David Niven and the Mexican actor, Cantinflas. Niven was actually very good considering his role never really amounted to more than being host in a large-scale travelogue, while Cantinflas was as annoying as foreign actors can be when cast as comic foils in large-scale 'international' productions. Perhaps the worst piece of casting was that of Shirley MacLaine as an Indian Princess, a performance just marginally less insulting than those of Peter Sellers in "The Millionairess" and Alec Guiness in "A Passage to India".

Lionel Lindon's photography ensures that it's consistently easy on the eye; otherwise all it proves is that the world's a big place and who would want to spend 80 days in this company going round it.

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]