IMDb > The Spoilers (1955) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Spoilers

The Spoilers More at IMDbPro »

Reasonably enjoyable western with solid plot

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
25 July 2005

In the small western town of Nome, "spoiling" is rife – that is the practice of driving others off their land and jumping onto others' claims as if they were your own. Without law and order Dextry and his partner Roy Glennister risk losing their mine to a group of characters out to jump their claim. The law is controlled by Alexander McNamara who stands to greatly benefit from getting control of the mines. As if the tension between Glennister and McNamara isn't tight enough as a result of this, McNamara also has eyes for Glennister's longtime girlfriend, hostess Cherry Malotte.

Having seen several westerns from the 1950's recently, I came to this with the impression that it would be just yet another forgettable genre film and, in a way, I suppose it was. However this is not to say that it is an average film because it is actually a pretty enjoyable genre picture. The plot mixes gun fights with crime with semi-love triangles and an air of comedy. It doesn't all sit well together but it does enough to provide an entertaining 90 minutes in the way that films of this nature used to try and do for their audiences. I personally didn't buy the love conflict aspect of it and would have liked that toned down a little bit in favour of more of the claim-jumping aspect but it all did enough to distract me on a quiet evening in.

The cast are solid enough but none of them particularly stuck in my mind. Baxter is colourful and does bring life to the film but the two male leads didn't impress me at all. Calhoun is just a mould of a leading man – nice smile, big chest, big jaw but nothing specific or special about him. Meanwhile Chandler just seems too old and grey for the character he is asked to play and I kept feeling like I was losing sight of him among the extras. Support from McIntire, Danton and others is OK but mostly the cast are just doing what the genre requires and no more.

Overall this is an enjoyable genre picture and it will provide entertainment for fans. The casual viewer will note the weaknesses that are inherent in this type of film but to be fair to it, it only does what you expect and for me it did it well enough to be a distracting piece of fun when I was in the mood for a solid bawdry western and nothing more.

What he still wins he can collect

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
5 August 2011

This 1955 version of The Spoilers for Universal Pictures remains the fifth and last version on film. After over 50 years it could use another remake and I'm surprised no one has done one. I can see someone like Russell Crowe in the hero role as Gary Cooper, John Wayne, and Jeff Chandler in this film have done before.

Not much variation on the plot in this film. Rory Calhoun plays the charming, but very caddish gold commissioner who has a carefully thought out scheme to rob Jeff Chandler and John McIntire of the contents of their mine. Calhoun is also jumping Chandler's claim on saloon owner Anne Baxter and Chandler himself doesn't help his cause when he starts giving Barbara Britton the once over. What he doesn't know is Britton is in league with Calhoun and company.

If you've seen the film that starred Marlene Dietrich, John Wayne and Randolph Scott from 1943 also for Universal you know exactly how this one comes out. All the cast including the three leads acquit themselves well in the roles carved out by movie legends.

I'd really love to see the 1930 version of The Spoilers that Gary Cooper starred in, but apparently the film is lost. If someone knows something else on the subject, let me know.

In any event this version of The Spoilers is fast moving and exciting western entertainment for fans of action films with a nice dose of sex, courtesy of Anne Baxter.

To know why westerns were once popular see The Spoilers

Author: tmwest from S. Paulo, Brazil
20 March 2012

In 1914,1923,1930,1942 and 1955 this film was made and remade, and one might ask why a story written by Rex Beach in 1906 was so successful, after all how many books were brought to the screen so many times? How many books had John Wayne, Gary Cooper, William Farnum, Jeff Chandler all great movie stars in their times playing their main character? After seeing and loving this 1955 version I reached two conclusions. First, when you have a good story, it does not matter how many times you make a movie out of it, you will always enjoy it. Second, if you want to know why westerns once were so popular the answer is in "The Spoilers". What a great place, Nome, Alaska with gold mines, muddy streets and no port to anchor the ships, people arriving in small boats on the beach. And the good guys against the bad guys with plenty of action and a great (fantastic) fistfight at the end which practically destroys the saloon. Excellent secondary characters, providing comic moments like the Duchess and Mr. Skinner. In trying always to become something new, the western lost its element of fun. The Spoilers should be remade, why did we stop in 1955?

Crashing fists in the gold crazed Alaska of 99

Author: Mractionadventure from United Kingdom
22 March 2013

I had the day off school today due to heavy snow and blizzards,so i watched a couple of movies,one being The Spoilers,a B western from 1955,here's my review on it.

It's a remake of a remake of a remake(i think),since the 1930 version with Gary Cooper is apparently lost,i can only compare it with the 1942 version which starred John Wayne.It was a brilliant movie,possibly just as good the 1942 version,but i always enjoy a western,especially the universal ones from the 1950s.

The story is this,in 1899 Alaska,everyone is gold crazy,people are coming from miles around to stake claims and boom towns are sprouting up all over the territory,but with gold,comes greed,corruption and lawlessness.Lawlessness comes in the form of claim jumping and claim owners being forced out of their fortune,the new gold commissioner,Macnamarra(RORY CALHOUN)and a corrupt judge are working together to take away claims,when Glennister(JEFF CHANDLER)has his claim taken from him and is framed for the murder of the sheriff,he decides it is time to fight rough...

It's basically the same as the 1942 one,same story and format,even same order of scenes but done in a different kind of way,so nothing new,but i did really enjoy the film and it would definitely be one of my favourites.The action is fantastic,i was really impressed with the large scale shootout at the mine,loved the way they rammed the whole train through the barrier,causing the engine to collapse and crash down a hill,followed by the shootout,it was great the way they used dynamite this time to dispatch some of their enemies,which they didn't do in the 1942 version and i think the shootout is longer with more up close shots than 1942 one.But the best part of the movie for me was the barroom rumble between Glennister and Macnamarra at the end,the whole saloon gets wrecked as the two men fight it out for the affections of Glennisters girlfriend,but it's kinda the same as the John Wayne version as the large stove funnel is demolished and Glennister is thrown over the bar,but it was still really exciting and fun to watch.

There's a lot of comic moments which i found quite amusing,e.g the drunk guy in the jail and Wallace Fords character was quite funny.All in all an excellent western,as i said the technicolour Universal westerns never cease to amaze me,it should definitely be released onto DVD,but it's shown on television quite a lot i highly recommend you watch it.Older fans of the genre will enjoy it.10/10.

A remake of the original

Author: Martha Wilcox
3 August 2014

This comes nowhere near the quality of the original film with John Wayne and Randolph Scott. Jeff Chandler is too old and has no class. Rory Calhoun is the new kid on the block, but he is not impressive in the Scott role. And even though Anne Baxter is a good actress in her own right, she is no replacement for Marlene Dietrich. She has class with Wayne in both the original film and 'Seven Sinners'. There is no real tension between Chandler and Colhoun like there was between Wayne and Scott, and it made you realise that even if the plot is a bit pedestrian at times, the performances between Wayne, Scott and Dietrich maintained your attention. This is not the case in this version and I would advise fans to stay away from this version and watch the original.