IMDb > Francis in the Navy (1955) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Francis in the Navy More at IMDbPro »

Last of the series falls a bit short of its predecessors.

Author: rsoonsa ( from Mountain Mesa, California
28 June 2003

This is the sixth and final film of the series produced by Universal that included Donald O'Connor, and director Arthur Lubin, who created the sequence. It would be charitable to state that this entry is up to the best of its antecedents, as O'Connor's tongue-tied routine as the chowderheaded sidekick of Francis the talking mule has become rather exhausting for audiences by the time of this release. Army lieutenant Peter Stirling (O'Connor) is advised by Francis that the mule has been "drafted" into the Navy and is positioned as surplus to be auctioned at the Coronado (Calif.) base. While attempting to regain Francis' freedom, Peter is mistaken for a lookalike bosn's mate, Slicker Donovan, is captured by the Shore Patrol and must then reestablish his correct identity while disinvolving himself from various examples of pulchritude with which the rakish Slicker has supplied him by default through their personality exchange. These latter include several of the studio's most highly considered contract starlets, including Martha Hyer, Leigh Snowden and Myrna Hansen, with the always enjoyable Virginia O'Brien attempting a comeback of sorts while restricted to a single scene. The ever efficient Lubin obtains maximum mileage from the dual performance of O'Connor, who stated after the film's completion that he found troubling the larger volume of fan mail received by the mule when compared with his own. Perhaps more telling is the failure of the popular actor to develop his character, a lack made clear by his adroit variant as Slicker. There is also a significant reduction in the use of Francis, and the minimal dialogue given to Chill Wills (his voice) lacks wit and is consequently delivered with scant spirit. Contributing most to the movie's potential appeal are early appearances of subsequently well-known actors, including Paul Burke, David Janssen, Martin Milner and, in his first credited role, Clint Eastwood. Despite the potentially interesting identity crisis involving O'Connor's two roles, it is plain that termination of involvement in the series by the director and star is a move to guard against further erosion of the lead characters' appeal

2 for 1

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
28 August 2015

With Francis In The Navy Donald O'Connor called it quits with the Francis The Talking Mule series. I guess he decided to call it quits playing second fiddle to a talking jackass. And Chill Wills as the voice of Francis also sad adieu to said mule. The final Francis film would have Mickey Rooney and Paul Frees as the voice of Francis.

In this film Donald O'Connor gets a message from his friend Francis that he's been stuck in the Navy in San Diego and about to be sold as surplus at an auction. O'Connor goes to San Diego but finds he's continually mistaken for a sailor who is a dead ringer for army lieutenant O'Connor. It's only the beginning of the Comedy Of Errors situation with both O'Connor and another non-talking mule who looks like Francis.

So Donald O'Connor gives us two roles for the price of one her. I have to say that it got a little weird and freaky when army O'Connor starts romancing Martha Hyer who is a navy nurse and sister to navy O'Connor. She probably thought so to, both Hyer and her character.

A lot of familiar names who later made a mark on the small screen show up in Francis In The Navy. In the cast are Jim Backus, Paul Burke, David Janssen, and most of all Clint Eastwood who's height makes him hard to miss.

So with 2 for 1 O'Connors Francis In The Navy is a slight somewhat amusing service comedy which should give its viewers some laughs.

was this filmed on the actual APA 210

Author: shelak2002 from United States
21 November 2007

I am interested in the boat that this was filmed on. I was wondering if the crew on the boat were actual Navy crew members and how could I get a list. I think I saw my husbands navy buddy on it Lee Lucero and was wondering how I could find out. My husband was aboard the USS TELFAIR ( APA 210 ) same as on the film and he did recognize one of the guys, thinking it may be Lee. Since he did not know exactly where he lived prior, has been hard to locate him. If anyone can help, please email me at I am trying to find this lost Navy buddy and have been looking for years, we saw the film and realized that it had his ship numbers on the ship. WOW, were we surprised. My husband was aboard till late 1954. I have pictures of my husband and Lee but can't seem to actually locate him. The movie was funny and we truly enjoyed it.

Thanks, Sheila Kelley