IMDb > "The Mickey Mouse Club" (1955) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Mickey Mouse Club"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Mickey Mouse Club" More at IMDbPro »

Countdown to the 50th anniversary

Author: juliafwilliams from New York, NY
14 February 2004

Next year this children's show of children's shows marks its 50th anniversary, and I am steamed that The Disney Channel does not air the retreads anymore. In fact, The Disney Channel hardly airs anything Disney anymore. Therefore, I don't watch The Disney Channel anymore.

It would be a great tribute to a classic if the following happened:

1) The Disney Channel would start airing the shows and airing them WITHOUT those cuts.

2) Disney Studios would put together either a 'season' or 'best of' set on DVD.

(At least, Disney should consider putting the Club serials on DVD, you know, Spin and Marty, The Hardy Boys, Corky and White Shadow, Annette).

Good old Disney television!!!!! They don't make this like they used to...

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
30 July 2006

Disney goes to people's living rooms throughout the world in 1955 through their television sets with "The Mickey Mouse Club," a show for kids that was not only just entertaining, but in fact, so great that two more versions have been spawned: one in the late 70s, and, of course, one in the early 90s for the then-good Disney Channel (they also showed the other two versions as well on "Vault Disney").

What I like about this show: I haven't seen the 1955 version, although the old Disney Channel used to show it, but it was too late at night. However, I've heard about how great this show is and I know the theme song to it:

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-e!!!!!

Also, remember those Mickey Mouse ear hats that you now can buy at Disney World? Those were worn, too!

"The Mickey Mouse Club" - No longer on the tube, except for DVD!!!!!

10 stars! 10 stars! 10 stars!!!!!

The best kids' show of all for us baby-boomers!

Author: John (opsbooks) from Blue Mountains, Australia
9 April 2003

When our first TV arrived in March, 1959, this was the show which materialised out of the ether. 6.05 PM on a Tuesday night, if my memory serves me correctly. And thus began a decade-long love affair with the lovely Annette Funicello - only she didn't know it! A wonderful team of young performers who could do just about anything, a cartoon or two, a guest star and the serial which probably starred Tim Considine. Was it 'The Hardy Boys'? I watched every episode and it was a sad day when due to changing times, the MMC left our screens.

When several members toured Australia (Jimmy, Darlene and possibly Karen or Annette) they were mobbed by thousands. I wasn't one of them as we didn't have a car and I had no easy way of reaching Mascot Airport. It would be years before I came across the souvenir brochure, my one small memento of those great times ...

I was a charter member

Author: carflo from Texas
6 December 2003

I was a charter member of The Mickey Mouse Club. On Oct. 3, 1955, I had my ears and my membership card as I sat in front of the TV and watched this marvelous new show. It wasn't just a show, it was my show and my club.

Disney was a genius at reaching children. Everything he touched was sprinkled with the golden glitter of fairy dust. After 48 years, I can still see it's sparkle.

Yep, I had the mouse ears, too.

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
13 October 1999

This was the high point of many of my days back in the mid-50's. I thought Jimmy Dodd was a little flakey, but the kids were who I wanted to see anyway so I put up with him and Roy the big mousketeer. Little did I dream that Paul Peterson, Bobby Burgess, and Johnny Crawford would go on to such superstardom. Not to mention Annette's brilliance in all those epic beach films. This was a nice program to come home to after school every day, especially friday because that was western day.

correcting errors

Author: onerybeyle from silver spring, MD
26 April 2004

Current description of original MMC, verifiable by many published sources, are: 1) there was no Mouseketeer Bob (Robert Thornon); 2) Ruth Carell was not a Mouseketeer and did not "recur" on the show; 3)

Tommy Kirk was not a Mouseketeer, although there is a photo of him in the outfit; 4) Dr. Miller, Julius Sumner, did a recurring science segment on the first two years; 5) R.G. Springsteen not a director-only Miller and first year Dik Darley directed the show;6) the show ran one hour the first two years, then half hour third year, half hour reruns fourth year 1958-59; 7) Paul Petersen, later of "Donna Reed Show" only lasted a few weeks of the first year.

There were 39, only, kids on the first show 1955-59 and only 9 lasted the entire filming: Annette, Karen, Sharon, Doreen, Darlene, Cubby, Lonnie, Bobby, Tommy. First year there were 24 (+four fired)= 28. Only two lasted two seasons: Dennis years 1 & 2, Cheryl, 2, 3 & reruns. The others lasted only one season.

"Hey There, Hi There, Ho There, You're As Welcome As Can Be"

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
8 March 2009

For the five years of the run of Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Club it was the most exclusive club in the world for the cool kids. So what if you had to wear those dorky ears and in front of millions of viewers to be a member. You got to wear those cool cowboy clothes at the end of the week on Talent Roundup Day. And wouldn't you like to leave the world you knew behind just to hang out with everyone from Annette and Bobby to the little ones Karen and Cubby.

Kids who grew up watching this show faithfully when they learned the world according to Disney wasn't exactly the truth were the ones that tuned in, turned on and dropped out in the next decade. I wasn't one of them, but I sure knew where they were coming from.

These kids in the Disney movies, in the serials on the Mickey Mouse Club and in their singing and dancing and all around talent were the role models of a generation. It seemed like if you put on those Mousekeears you could dance like Bobby Burgess, sing like Darlene Gillespie, or even play the drums like Cubby O'Brien. Millions like me wished they were good enough to join.

The show had two big Mooseketeers as they were called, Disney cartoonist Roy Williams who should have gotten a lot more money for looking so ridiculous and singer/actor Jimmy Dodd.

In fact Dodd I believe was a big part of the reason for the show's success. As an adult he looked right at home with the kids and I'm not talking about Michael Jackson kind of at home. Dodd had a middling career as a journeyman character actor, mostly in western roles. Mainstream movie fans might remember him for his small bit in Yankee Doodle Dandy calling young George M. Cohan out to greet his public, the public being a group of tough kids who took literally his boast to lick any kid in town in Peck's Bad Boy.

Dodd reached real stardom in the Mickey Mouse Club. He set a respectful tone to the show, told the kids at home to mind their parents and lead an upright life. Dodd according to contemporaries was a religious man, but never overtly proselytized. According to many of the now grownup Mouseketeers Jimmy Dodd was the real deal, exactly as you saw him on television

In the hour you saw Disney cartoons, true life adventure films, good kid's serials like Spin and Marty and Corky and the White Shadow and the singing and dancing of the coolest kids on the planet. Those good enough to be members of the Mickey Mouse Club.

The Show that made millions of children happy nation wide

Author: adrianeverett74 from United States
9 March 2009

The Mickey Mouse Club is an American Institution that has been resurrected decade after decade proving it's standing moral fiber. In the 1950s era, The Mickey Mouse Club was it for millions of children across America. You either were a Mouseketeer or you were not. This was the day and age of adjusting your dual antennas at the back of your television set to get a clear picture in either UHF or VHF. There was no digital cable or internet back then. When the mouse was on you sat and you watched till it was over. Children 5 days a week religiously tuned into see and hear what Mickey Mouse, Jimmy, Roy, and The Mouseketeers had planned for them.

With Disney nowadays being all about the Blu Ray Disc and High Def this that and the other I amazed that they have not gotten off their collective lazy rear ends and digitally restored all the episodes from beginning to end. Including all the bonus materials that currently resides in the archives of Disney Studios.

Best show to watch.

Author: Anita de Acosta Keith ( from Columbus, Ohio USA
9 June 2014

Best show to watch. Dancing and singing. Talent days. Circus days. Mickey dressed as a cowboy, twirling a lasso. Spin and Marty. Annette Serial. Jimmie Dodd. Roy ____. Special guest star day. Such good memories. So what if the talent were shills for Disneyland? We did not know. We did not care. We were totally mesmerized by their entertainment skills. The boys and girls were household names. They worked hard. Tap dancing is my favorite, and they did it a lot. They would be dressed up for different themes. I think I remember a Hawaiian theme. Perhaps there was a hula. This show did not last long enough. There was/were other later incarnations of this show, but the original was spectacular. It will always last in my memories. Annette's passing has been heartbreaking, as was her illness.

Disney was a genius, IMO. He had to do many things to create and sustain his growing empire. He had early failures, as well as later successes. He took longstanding fairy tales and made them into famous animated films, such as Snow White and Cinderella. He won 26 Academy Award Oscars. He was a star on TV. He changed the concept of theme park entertainment. His parks today are well respected and widely attempted to be copied. He grew a Florida entertainment empire in an area formerly forlorn and forgotten -- I was there when Walt Disney World began. Today, there are a lot of other entertainment areas there, plus endless tourist attractions and hotels, etc.

It all started with a mouse. The mouse had friends named Minnie and Donald, plus the mouse had a pet dog named Pluto. Now, how could a mouse have a pet dog? This sounds ridiculous, but in Walt's mind and heart it all made sense. We are all the better for it ...... :)

Despite the Worship of a Fictional Mouse, One of the Best Children's Programs of All Time

Author: classicalsteve from Oakland, CA
13 April 2008

To create a show or movie with an animal character, such as Lassie, Benji, Charlotte or the Black Stallion is reasonable enough, especially for children. A show based on the worship of an animal character, in this case a mouse, seems a little ridiculous. Yet the whole Mickey Mouse Club idea has to be very American. Entertainment industries have constantly capitalized on icons produced for movies and television and exploited them to the hilt for profit. The studio corporations know that when Americans fall in love with characters and worlds from the movies and television, part of the spectator public wants to connect with it on a deeper level. The Mickey Mouse Club allowed younger viewers enthralled with the Disney universe to experience their favorite mouse on television once a week instead of only when mom and dad would take them to the cinema.

Simultaneously, all things considered, The Mickey Mouse Club was a good children's show with merit. The original show incorporated games, educational segments, sing-a-longs, and even some dramatic episodes. It seems to me I remember the Hardy Boys, but I am not sure. In short, the Mickey Mouse Club encouraged children to be children. And hey, the young Annette Funicello was worth the price of admission. She will probably be best remembered for this show rather than her silly beach movies 10 years later.

Today most children's programming via the networks is about pure entertainment, barring PBS, and a lot of it seems grossly inappropriate for underage viewers who are not yet pre-adolescents. Propagating that 8-to-10-year-olds should have boyfriends and girlfriends, i.e. behave like adults or even adolescents, is I think harmful misinformation. Children are still learning what is appropriate and inappropriate except for what they see modeled in front of them, which is often on television. If the Mickey Mouse Club had a clear message, it was that childhood should be enjoyed for what it is, and there is a magical wonder about childhood that should not be missed.

Still, it raises my eyebrow that the show's participants would not only sing hymns to a fictional mouse but don mouse-inspired attire. Even as a kid, I thought the mouse ears were ridiculous, especially on the adults! But given the low-quality of material being presented to children today, maybe the mouse ears are a small price to pay. Afterall, donning the mouse ears represents "make believe", the essence of childhood.