IMDb > "The Martha Raye Show" (1954) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Martha Raye Show" More at IMDbPro »

A sketch I saw from this show had Buster recreating a scene he did with Charlie Chaplin whom the host had also performed with

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
27 July 2009

I'm reviewing this show because of a segment on it that is available on the DVD Buster Keaton collection called "Industrial Strength Keaton". It is called "The Concert" and it originally appeared in Charlie Chaplin's Limelight where Buster Keaton first played his pianist role to Chaplin's violinist. Here Martha Raye, who previously appeared with the former Tramp in Monsieur Verdoux, takes his role. I haven't seen Limelight so I don't know how different this is from the film version but I thought this was a pretty amusing if not hilarious depiction of a concert performance. During the same year of this show, Paul Winchell had hosted a short-lived variety program called "Circus Time" (a show not listed on IMDb) that Buster had also guested on. That time, he played a wallpaper displayer with a partner. His wife, Eleanor, had a bit part as a woman whom Buster accidentally undresses her skirt. Another amusing, if not hilarious sketch, though I thought the ending was pretty good. This was also on the "Industrial Strength Keaton" DVD. Both are worth a look for Keaton enthusiasts.