IMDb > Sabrina (1954) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sabrina

Sabrina More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Star Fluff Romantic Comedy...

Author: movie reviews from Peru
21 September 2014

Audrey Hepburn (24) William Holden (36) and Humphrey Bogard (54) are what this romantic comedy revolves around.

Thus 50s star fluff. Not really worth looking for holes in the plot---how did Sabrina become completely fluent in French at a cooking school in a year? How could she suddenly afford $1000 designer clothes with a father who was a chauffeur? Another reviewer brought up a new word... ME (mass entertainment)--or what I call boiler plate. This was boiler plate has no pretensions to be more. Bogart even got in a little (left wing motivated right wing defensive commentary)...making people's lives better through private enterprise..

Since I am gay this thing had about as much appeal as a series of root canals. It certainly is way over rated... Audrey Hepburn wearing flats so she won't tower over Bogart....skinny as a rail...as an irresistible sex goddess don't see it. Maybe if they had made her unusually ugly before cooking school with bifocals and a bun---but I didn't appreciate any difference in the before and after Sabrina--except heavier eyebrows and other trendy make up of the era.

It is strict boiler plate...thus a 6.... minus 3 for plot vacuums filled by "star power." Just having them there you don't need much of a story type thing.

The sound track the cinematography the acting is also all boiler plate nothing notable there....so I give it a 3.

DO NOT RECOMMEND

Charmed and charming, funny and warm, New York and Paris (kind of)...a dream

Author: secondtake from United States
16 February 2010

Sabrina (1954)

A sweet, lightly comic film with impeccable credentials, including director (and writer) Billy Wilder. Audrey Hepburn had become a sensational star the previous year with Roman Holiday and she is the charm and light of this one. There is a slight echo of the earlier movie, in reverse--she is now the poor girl who is mistaken (at times) for being cultured and rich, and throughout there are the slight, American versions of class structure being broken down.

Mostly though, this is about a girl in love, but mostly in love with being in love, and it doesn't totally matter to whom. Certainly the one she thinks is so wonderful is not, though he's charming in the likable way that William Holden, probably a cad himself, is so good at. Playing his older brother in the film (forget family resemblance here) is Humphrey Bogart, a nice, somber guy completely caught up in being a successful businessman.

And so there is a natural set up for conflicts and jealousies, and confusion. It's not quite a classic screwball comedy, though it's funny in a warm way all the way through. The seriousness that Hepburn brings to her role is less crazy and more charming and delightful. And romantic. We need her to be dreamy, and she comes through. Once the end approaches, we really don't care too much what happens as long as she is happy, and we are content enough it works out the way it does for the two brothers, with a small twist or two right up to the end.

I do quaff slightly at Hepburn being even remotely interested in the Bogart character, so obviously three times her age and dull as a brick (he is no Rick here). I suppose it fits every older man's desire (in the audience) to think they might actually be attractive to someone so young and obviously pretty. This gets pulled off more convincingly in Hepburn's next major film, where Cary Grant did after all pull if off, Charade, if only because Cary Grant is Cary Grant. But I know, we are supposed to close our eyes to logic in nutty comedies, and the rest of the set-up manages to stay intact here on Long Island, 1954. Bogart certainly is a model of kindness and patience, and we can see a young woman wanting that in her man, whatever their ages.

A highlight for me: Hepburn sings "La Vie en Rose," the Piaf hit, while they drive in the car. Twice. Makes you want to go to Paris.

Bogart was apparently such a nasty presence during the shooting (partly because he was a replacement for, yes, Cary Grant, who backed out), he later apologized to Wilder. And Hepburn's gowns (which are part of the plot as well as the usual necessity) are not by Edith Head (who won and accepted an Oscar for them) but by Givenchy, who continued a long association with Hepburn.

The 1995 remake? Well, the plot line is intact, and you might prefer the new style of acting and filming, but for me this old one has just a perfect balance of love and lunacy, with great writing and a wonderful awkward central cast. I mean, a somber Bogart and zany Holden vying for the ever delicate and slightly clueless Audrey Hepburn? Who would have thought that would work? It does.

Wonderful film with a marvelous cast and an even better script

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
10 May 2001

This film is an absolute delight from start to finish. Starring Audrey Hepburn *sigh*, who is perfect in the lead role of Sabrina, with excellent performances by William Holden and Humphrey Bogart as well and an absolute gem of a script to boot. Quite possibly the romantic comedy of all time! Won the Oscar for the costumes, which are gorgeous! I love this film!! Most recommended.

This Movie Makes Me Feel So Good About Myself!

Author: powermandan from Canada
15 March 2017

Feeling like a million bucks; high on life; all of these phrases apply to me whenever I watch the single most underrated film of the 50s: Sabrina. It stars Audrey Hepburn as Sabrina alongside Humphrey Bogart and William Holden, and is directed by Billy Wilder. After seeing these quick facts, it was pretty evident that this movie would be great. But I had no idea that it would be at this almost unreachable level.

This was the movie that made me fall in love with Audrey Hepburn. Her father is the chauffeur to the wealthy Larrabee family. She grew up with the hots for the son David (Holden) but he never noticed her. She spends two years in culinary school in Paris and returns home a knockout. I'd say the sole flaw of this movie is Audrey Hepburn is too beautiful for David not to like her back. Her look when she returns is not that much different. But whatever. When she returns, David finally takes notice to her and they start a romance. But he is already engaged to a woman who is right for the family business. But David is a playboy who is a little bit irresponsible. His older brother Linus (Bogart) is a workaholic who happens to also fall for Sabrina soon after. Which brother is right for her? Which one will she pick?

Something I love about this film is it actually makes me laugh. I mean actual belly laughs. Maybe not as frequent or intensely as Wilder's Some Like It Hot, but close. And the romance that blossom in the love triangle is so beautiful as we watch the love and characters grow.

It honestly doesn't matter who Sabrina ends up with. The movie makes too much love and glory to be disappointed by her decision.

Easily one of my ten favourite films of the 1950's.

Sabrina interested in love with David and finally fall to his brother Linus. "Sabrina don't reach the moon but the moon reaching for Sabrina"

Author: majorgate
12 February 2017

Sabrina a movie that identify the meaning of love. 30 miles away from New York city to long Island where Larrabees family located and the story of chauffeur's daughter Sabrina begins. Before she travel for her diploma in cooking to France,Sabrina follow in love with David without him focus on her, as she's poor and from a servant Mr Fairchild who was imported from England together with Rolls - Royce to be a driver. Two years after her completion her diploma in Paris, Sabrina returned with a different outlook she grew up and made David to forget her suddenly to follow in love. The Moon reaching for Sabrina ,David invited to the dinner party while he knows he is engaged with Elizabeth. The family got angry to David for what he have done since he is about to get marriage with Elizabeth. Linus jump in as a solution to the family and help David from injured with glass champagne. Linus got in love with Sabrina as he can't express himself after arranging all the dinner outing but still he could't speak a word. Sabrina got confused for whom should love "There's a front seat and back seat and a window in between" that how his father told her. Finally Linus and Sabrina traveled together to Paris. This movie have a lot of meaning in love as most people think a rich man can't marry to a poor but after 20th century things are turning around.

A sophisticated comedy of class

Author: SimonJack from United States
1 February 2017

"Sabrina" is one of the last films of Humphrey Bogart and one of the early films of Audrey Hepburn. Despite the 30 years difference in their ages (54 and 24), their match in this film works mainly because the plot doesn't have them as star-struck lovers. It doesn't even have them as a match, but as almost distant acquaintances until toward the end. The "romance" works as a gradual mature respect and attraction on her part, and letting down one's barriers against a personal life on his part.

The film is billed as a comedy, romance and drama. Those who watch this film mostly for the romance may miss something in the drama. For, "Sabrina" clearly is a film about classes, and the very distinct boundaries, especially between employers and servants. And, it shows this as a cultural separation deemed an absolute must amidst the professional servants class as well as among the employers. Sabrina's father, Thomas the chauffeur (played superbly by John Williams), epitomizes this. However, the attention to such class separation is treated here lightly and with some humor.

Oddly enough, though, children of servants are regarded somewhat differently among the employers. Although the parents would have them follow in their footsteps, to the employers they are in a sort of free state of their own. At least, that's how it appears in this film. There likely has been so little else paid to such situations – professional servants with families (mostly old European and early American), because so few marry and even fewer have children.

The culture being what it is, this film has some nice scenes of the social life of the super wealthy. And of the spoiled children of the wealthy in the playboy David Larrabee (William Holden), and the straight- laced all business caretaker of the family name and fortune, Linus Larrabee, played by Bogart. Hepburn's Sabrina – at least 10 years junior in the film to Holden's character, grows up pining for the handsome, fun- loving, partying David. Her's is a clear example of puppy love, infatuation or a crush. Only when she is sent away to study in Paris (top chef's school to be a cook as was her mother) for two years, does she grow into young womanhood, develop some refinements and become molded to be influenced by maturity and emotions beyond puppy love. But, she still thinks she loves and wants David, and it will take some time for her to change in her ways.

Most of the comedy and the drama is in the plot from there on. All of the characters are very good. For the little time he is on screen, Walter Hampden is very funny as Oliver, the retired patriarch of the Larrabee clan. Here are some lines of humor from the dialog.

Linus, "You make it sound so vulgar, David, as if the son of the hot dog dynasty were being offered in marriage to the daughter of the mustard king."

David, "Just one thing you overlooked. I haven't proposed and she hasn't accepted." Linus, "Oh, don't worry. I proposed and Mr. Tyson accepted." David, "Did you kiss him?"

David, "Oh, you make me feel like a heel. If I don't marry Elizabeth, some kid's going to be running around Puerto Rico barefoot with cavities in his teeth."

Thomas, "Democracy can be a wickedly unfair thing, Sabrina. Nobody poor was ever called democratic for marrying somebody rich."

Oliver, "All columnists should be beaten to a pulp and converted back to paper."

Sabrina

Author: oOoBarracuda from United States
6 January 2017

Billy Wilder and Humphrey Bogart, what more could a classic film lover ask for? I love this director/actor combo so much and I wish they would have made more than one collaboration, but from the sounds of the set during the filming of the 1954 film, Sabrina, the two may not have been able to handle any more of each other. Starring along with Bogart was Audrey Hepburn, and William Holden, the film centers around two brothers fighting for the affections of a woman they lived near for years, yet hardly knew existed. A romantic comedy was a fun turn for the veteran actor, Humphrey Bogart, but one audiences have been blessed with for over 60 years.

Sabrina Fairchild (Audrey Hepburn) the daughter of a chauffeur lives in the servants quarters of the home of the tycoon Larrabee Brothers. Linus Larrabee (Humphrey Bogart) is the brother that is always about business; handling the day-to-day dealings of the Larrabee business ventures and estate, he has successfully convinced himself to substitute a family life with the corporate life. David Larrabee (William Holden), on the other hand, is a partying playboy more interested in women than his family's business. David is a bit of a headache for his family, having been divorced 3 times. David has never escaped the notice of Sabrina. She fell in love with David as a young girl and was tortured by his presence around the home for years. One fateful night, Sabrina couldn't bear her unrequited love for David any longer and decided to end her own life. Luckily, she was unsuccessful and was saved by Linus Larrabee before being shipped off to Paris. In Paris, Sabrina learns how to cook and bake, but she also learns sophistication and elegance. Sabrina comes back a changed woman, and David notices, beginning his quest for his latest conquest. In the meantime, David has been promised to a wealthy plastic mogul's daughter in order to secure a merger between the two enterprises. Linus begins to lure Sabrina away from his brother in order to protect his fledgling business partnership which works wonders, until he begins to fall in love with her, as well.

The first thing that struck me with Sabrina, after the inimitable Humphrey Bogart, of course; who really notices any other aspect of a film first when Humphrey Bogart is in it, was the exquisite lighting. It was essential in this film to display the transformation of Audrey Hepburn's character, so the lighting needed to be top notch to reveal the differences in her character. It doesn't hurt that the film was composed of some of the best stars of the day to keep the light on. The film is also perfectly written, and no one can match the subtle interjections of humor quite like Billy Wilder. Sabrina was a joy of a film, due in no small part to the exceptional depiction of Humphrey Bogart's Linus Larrabee.

Sabrina found Humphrey Bogart playing a bit against type as a lead in a romantic comedy. Perhaps unexpectedly, the role suits Bogart well, and his debonair appearance doesn't suffer despite his difference in age with Audrey Hepburn. Bogart also found himself sharing the screen in Sabrina with another man. This had to have been a blow to the veteran actor which could have been the reason he had so many issues in the set, especially with William Holden. Tumultuous set nonetheless, Bogart proved his professionalism churning out one of his best performances. He also had one of the most iconic movie entrances I have ever seen. Ascending from the shadows like a knight in shining armor to save Sabrina from her suicide attempt, Bogart took over the screen. Watching the subtlety he played his part with and the gradual way he changed his character as he began falling in love with Sabrina was beautiful art to watch unfold on screen. This realization that he wasn't all the man he thought he could be without someone by his side resulted in a wonderful "Humphrey Bogart Eyes" moment. There is a brief moment in which we see the realization come across Bogart's face that he is indeed in love with Sabrina in a way that only Humphrey Bogart could emote. I will forever be in awe of the way Bogart could convey a wealth of emotions, using only his eyes. Is it any wonder that Humphrey Bogart is widely considered the best actor to ever live?

"I like to think of life as a limousine!"

Author: elvircorhodzic from Bosnia
21 November 2016

SABRINA is a very sweet, romantic comedy. A typical film of Cinderella, who is pretending to belong to the refined society and capture the rich, beautiful and charming prince. In this case, two ... Prince. One is good-natured, but spoiled womanizer and the other is a workaholic and businessman.

This is an extremely funny comedy, which somehow works unconvincing. Love is gentle, but it lacks of sincerity.The film is emphasized by certain forms of irony. The story is fabulous and, fortunately, is not intrusive. The emphasis is on humor, from which permeate some serious romantic scenes. Everything is simple, even predictable. However, therein lies the beauty of this film. The scenario is quite "washed" and definitely could have been better. Characterization is satisfactory. The focus is on the relationship between daughter and father. That relationship really works extraordinarily.

Actors are the biggest advantages of this film. I'm not particularly brag acting. Audrey Hepburn as Sabrina Fairchild is naive, enthusiastic and charming girl who wins with her eyes and a smile and simply exudes warmth and tenderness. Ms. Hepburn was a beautiful lady with a lot of style and acting range. Humphrey Bogart as Linus Larrabee is pretty slick and really in this film can be seen ease of his acting. Workaholic stumbles because of true love. It's a little too much for Mr. Bogart. William Holden as David Larrabee is excellent in the role of a spoiled playboy, who in the most important part of the film has to remove the glass from his own ass. It is a simple flaw in the script. Otherwise, I am convinced that we should enjoyed in excellent and very comical love triangle. John Williams as Thomas Fairchild, Sabrina's father is my favorite in the movie, very funny and excellent in his comments relating to the class difference.

Well, this is a typical Hollywood comedy with outstanding actors.

An essential romantic comedy features with a stellar cast

Author: jacobs-greenwood from United States
14 October 2016

Directed and co-written (with Samuel Taylor & Ernest Lehman) by Billy Wilder, this essential romantic comedy stars Humphrey Bogart, William Holden, and Audrey Hepburn in the title role. It's a love triangle featuring the three leads which was later remade with Harrison Ford, Greg Kinnear, and Julia Ormond.

This film, which won an Oscar for Edith Head's B&W Costume Design, received five other Oscar nominations including two for director Wilder (he shared the Best Screenplay honors) and Hepburn's second consecutive Best Actress nomination, following her win for Roman Holiday (1953). It was also added to the National Film Registry in 2002 and is #54 of AFI's 100 Greatest Love Stories list.

The story is about two brothers, stiff "family business" man Bogart and blonde playboy Holden, who fall in love with their chauffeur's (John Williams) daughter, the beautiful Ms. Hepburn. Sabrina had been a shy, wallflower type, who worshiped the dashing playboy brother, until she goes away to school in Paris and comes back a sophisticated, lovely young woman, and chef.

Holden's character, already engaged to an important potential business partner's daughter (Martha Hyer), is instantly attracted to the all new and grownup Sabrina, which jeopardizes the deal Bogart's character had been trying to do. So, Bogart romances Hepburn in hopes of attracting her away from Holden, when suddenly what was a set-up becomes real.

almost perfect

Author: Kirpianuscus from Romania
10 August 2016

it is simple. read the names of director and actors. see few scenes. and the verdict is clear. but Sabrina has the precious gift to be more than a charming story or the stage for the grace, subtle games and seductive acting of Audrey Hepburn. the spell of film is complex and almost touching. because it is a trip across the sensitivity of a period, social differences clash, flavor of modern fairy tale - but not so modern - and the air of dreams about stars, princesses, true love. it has humor and slices of lesson about life, it has a special note and the best director for a delicate subject. because the story of Cinderella is always far to be easy.Audry Hepburn is the star and this is not surprising. but her beauty and shine and fascinating manner to use each nuance of the sides of role is result of the connection with her partners. and this small detail does Sabrina almost perfect.