IMDb > Roogie's Bump (1954) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Roogie's Bump More at IMDbPro »

Definitely for the kiddies.

Author: sandlot3 from United States
26 April 2007

All of the kids make fun of little Roogie Rigsby. But then he is all of a sudden blessed with a powerful arm thanks to the "spirit" of deceased ex-ballplayer Red O'Malley, an old beau of his grandmother's. He winds up pitching for the Brooklyn Dodgers with a bump on his arm that is the source of all his power. Kind of a 50's version of Rookie of the Year. Members of the current (at the time) Dodgers appear as themselves including Roy Campanella, Billy Loes, Russ Meyer and Carl Erskine. Campy is bowled over by one of Roogie's pitches too. Plus, at the movie's end, he kicks a football clean over the Brooklyn Bridge. Definitely for the kiddies.

One of my favorite movies as a kid

Author: Rick Ackerman from United States
2 November 2013

I had an experience similar to the reviewer above. I saw the movie as a boy around the time it was released and loved it. I've always remembered certain scenes, such as the boy flying from the mound to home plate after forgetting to release the ball. In another scene, when the boy first learns he has acquired a special power and a 120 mph fastball, he heaves a rock across a river that hits a tower a mile away. In retrospect, I'd infer that the movie visualized fantasy in a way that engaged a young boy's mind -- at least it did in 1954, before computer graphics took our visual expectations to a whole new level.

What I could not recall was the title, which finally came to me when I was chatting with another film buff who remembered it as Roogie's Bump. As far as I'm aware, the original is impossible to find and has never been shown on television. Unfortunately, the 1993 remake by Daniel Stern, released as 'Rookie of the Year', was almost too dreadful to watch.

Cool for Kids back in the 60's. Maybe not so much today.

Author: gary-green from United States
13 August 2007

I saw this movie back in the mid 60's when I was a kid. At that time I thought this was the coolest movie I had ever seen. Of course by todays standards it wouldn't begin to compare. It was in black and white and had few to no special effects. It was cool however because the kid in the movie, Roogie, could have been any kid in the world, including me. That just drew me into the movie and the rest was magic.

For years I often wondered what the name of this movie was. Then one evening, Sylvestor Stallone was on a late night talk show and mentioned this movie as one of his favorites. He described it exactly how I had remembered it, and gave it's name. Even though I now know the name of the movie I still haven't been able to find the movie in any stores.