IMDb > Hic-cup Pup (1954) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Hic-cup Pup More at IMDbPro »

Repetitive Storyline, But Still Fun

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
30 November 2007

These are the kind of Tom and Jerry cartoons where I definitely feel sorry for Tom, because Jerry, the little mouse and definite favorite of the writers, shows his sadism. Also, it seems every time Spike is in one of these, Tom is given an ultimatum from the big bulldog: this time it is "if you wake up my boy one more time, I'll murder you!" (His little boy has the hiccups every time someone wakes him up.)

So, words like that are all Jerry needs to hear.

The devilish mouse is going to make sure Tom gets in trouble with Spike. However, to be fair, Tom is so stupid that he keeps chasing Jerry and getting into trouble as Jerry is smart enough to run to the dogs each time. You'd think the cat would just leave things be....but then we wouldn't have the usual Tom & Jerry chase scenes!

A few decent gags lift this otherwise routine T&J caper.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
21 November 2016

Every time Tyke's sleep is disturbed, he gets the hic-cups, a fact that makes his father Spike the bulldog very angry at Tom, who makes a lot of noise while chasing Jerry. The mischievous mouse uses this fact to his advantage, ensuring that Tom is repeatedly caught causing a ruckus.

OK, so the set-up is the same as always—Spike warns Tom that if he bothers him or Tyke he will be in a lot of trouble—but there are at least some funny gags in Hic-cup Pup providing just about enough laughs to make this one worthwhile. The two funniest moments, in my opinion, are the trumpet on the hose gag (Spike and Tyke's reactions and expressions are priceless) and the part where Jerry straps horns to Tom's feet (forcing Tom have to continue his chase on fingertips!).

Enjoyable enough, even if the storyline holds no surprises

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
17 June 2010

As a lifelong fan of Tom and Jerry I enjoy Hic-Cup Pup. It is nothing outstanding though, as the story is repetitive and predictable and holds no real surprises. Still it is very enjoyable thanks to the beautiful art work, sparkling orchestral score, endearing characters, cracking pace and inventive sight gags. I know I tend to repeat myself talking about these Tom and Jerry cartoons but I always talk about these elements as they are nearly always outstanding in these cartoons. Tom, Jerry, Spike and Tyke all still have their unique personalities and likability, and on the whole Hic-Cup Pup is amusing and very enjoyable even with the repetitiveness of the story. 8/10 Bethany Cox