IMDb > Garden of Eden (1954) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Garden of Eden More at IMDbPro »

An innocent nudie flick with a memorable song: Let's Go Sunnin'

Author: socal_frank from Huntington Beach, CA
15 January 2003

At 11 I was the youngest member of Local B22 of the Theatrical and Stagehands Union in Seattle who worked at the El Rancho Drive-in Theater between Auburn and Kent in Washington State. The Honey Drive-in Theater chain booked this film into our little farm-community where it was a real cause celebre. The family had a council to determine if I would work as a speaker repairman that week. It was determined that a little T & A would not harm me. I had great status with my junior high school buddies for having seen the film not once but twice a day for a week. The chain never booked a nudie film in our theater again.

There was a song called "Let's Go Sunnin'" which I inadvertently memorized and can sing, poorly, to this day. The song was resurrected in a commercial for the San Diego Visitor's Bureau that played throughout the Northeast USA during at least 1998 through 2000.

Good effort, but needs more conflict

Author: tlyoung88 from United States
18 June 2003

I'm sure for its time it was very innovative, but no one took this subject matter seriously in the '50's. Take for instance the scene where Jamie O'Hara remarks how "delightful" it feels to watch her little daughter playing nude with other children, but balks when she sees other adults.

Nowadays the situation is reversed. With the proliferation of Girls Gone Wild, Hedonism and HBO & Playboy documentaries, mainstream audiences now see nudism as an adult hobby, and parents who involve their children are facing criminal investigations.

I expected more of the writer to make use of R.G. Armstrong. He's a very nice man. Met him at Dupar's four years ago. But such a talented actor who really should have been given more to do as the uptight old father figure.

Enjoyable

Author: Sail_a_man from United Kingdom
9 December 2014

I remember this film hitting the theatres when I was a kid but of course I couldn't go to see it much to my disappointment. Having recently got a copy on DVD I found it a refreshing change from other "nudies" of the period, for one thing most of the people in it could act, including the little girl who later went on to be a regular in a TV series. Also it was great to see they didn't utilise the method commonly used in other films of the genre of people walking around with a beach ball or magazine held in front of there lower regions which frankly always made the scenes laughable, with the exception of a brief frontal shot of the little girl no one was filmed full frontal which took away the comic aspect and gave a more serious impression. One thing I wonder though is in today's so called liberated society would they still be allowed to show a man pick up a little naked girl and run his hand up and down her back while talking to her? I doubt it.

Delightful for this senior citizen

Author: easychairjohn from Tennessee
24 July 2017

I maybe full of BS but I like this movie. I remember the old "Art House" movies in the 60's and this film had even less nudity than those grind-house epics...But I like it. My goodness, a family torn apart and totally repaired by some sunshine? Wonderful. And some stars are part of this movie. R G Armstrong can probably best be remembered as the father whose one son was shot and another killed in the classic El Dorado. Someone sunk some money into this film as the Song "lets go sunning" is currently used on fallout New Vegas. The song was musically well done in that old 50's TV theme style. Sometime its good to turn your brain off and watch and old guilty pleasure. And It is currently on Amazon Prime for free!

Even by the low standards of this sub-genre, this film's a dud

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
16 June 2017

GARDEN OF EDEN is one of those obscure exploitation movies partially filmed at a real-life nudist camp and revelling in the fact. It plays out as a completely predictable family drama in which the prim and proper upbringing of the main characters is shaken up by the usual nudist camp visit, complete with volleyball games and the like. It's a dull little thing, near plot less, without much in the way of actual nudity, loaded with wooden acting from the non-performers, although some amusement is raised by the presence of future Hollywood actor R.G. Armstrong in a supporting role.