IMDb > The Divided Heart (1954) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Divided Heart More at IMDbPro »

Hit the heart, years before I became more cynical

Author: imogen.chiv from England
23 October 2000

I went to see this film when I was about 15 yrs old. It made a big impression on me because I was very idealistic then. The film was honestly and earnestly made, straight as a die, that was its charm. The fact is it only cost 1/- to get in the cinema to see it. In todays money that is about 5p. The film belongs in that era of course, the fifties. I have never fogotten the little boy in court trying to decide which parent he should choose to be with. He conveyed the correct personal inner torment of knowing he should choose his real mother, but being so used to his adoptive one.

The judgement of Solomon is a difficult one to make.

Author: Spanky-43 from UK
8 October 1999

It shows how superficial my expectations are of a black and white film that I only watched this because I was ill, and it was either this, a cooking show or "Take the High Road" (an awful Scottish Soap.

What I found was a film full of believable characterisations that was not afraid to tackle a very difficult subject, where the true mother of a Yugoslavian boy raised by German foster parents during the Second World War returns to reclaim her child ten years later.

What makes the subject matter so difficult is the way in which the boy comes to be made available for adoption through the attrocities of the war. The two flashbacks are very well done, making you care about both of the women and the love they feel for the child - the subdued Yugoslav mother, speaking through an interpreter, refusing to betray her emotions in public having been scarred by her experiences, (I thought the short scene where she is in the church looking at Mary and baby Jesus was very revealing) and the German woman who has raised the child during his formative years.

The three judges from the American Control Commission are called upon to make the impossible decision, and the judgements that each of them decide, though different, ring true.

I was surprised by the abruptness of the ending, wishing to see what Toni would do in later year, but that is my only criticism of this film.

Humane wisdom.

Author: Gerald A. DeLuca (italiangerry@gmail.com) from United States
6 May 2002

THE DIVIDED HEART is a touching and often very moving account of a 10-year-old boy who had been adopted as a 3-year-old child after World War II by a German couple (played by Cornell Borchers and Armin Dahlen.)

The family lives in a Bavarian Alpine village where the boy, Toni, an intelligent and sensitive lad, goes to school, enjoys skiing, and could not be any happier. Toni's 10th birthday party is interrupted by a man and a woman from the International Refugee Organization.

They bring the unsettling news that Toni was in fact Ivan Slavko, a Yugoslav, and his mother Sonja is alive and wants her son back. The question posed by the film is the obvious and painful one. Should the child be allowed to live with the adoptive parents who raised him and love him or with this "stranger" who is his mother in the flesh?

It becomes the task of the postwar U.S. Court of the Allied High Commission for Germany to determine justice, a justice that must inevitably be accompanied by injustice to either real or adoptive parents.

(SPOILERS FOLLOW). This is a film without villains, save war itself which separates children from parents. In the courtroom episode during which the custody of the child is determined, the judge acknowledges with humane wisdom the tragic aspects of the issue. The real mother is awarded the custody of the child.

"It is time," says the court,"for the son to give love to a mother rather than receive it. By returning the boy to his real mother, we are giving the custody of the mother to the son rather than the son to the mother."

The movie is sensitively directed by Charles Crichton and performed by a remarkable ensemble of performers, especially Cornell Borchers as the adoptive mother and Yvonne Mitchell as the real mother, but the film belongs to child actor Michel Ray who gives the role subtle nuances and comprehension not normally associated with child performers. One of the reasons he landed the role is that he could ski (as we see him do in opening sequences.) Later in life Michel Ray, As Michel de Carvalho, achieved some fame as a medal-winning Olympic skier and was immensely successful in the world of business.