IMDb > The Belles of St. Trinian's (1954) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Belles of St. Trinian's More at IMDbPro »

A Classic - The Forerunner of Sketch Comedy

Author: tmichaelny@aol.com from United States
7 February 2003

I remember seeing this movie on U.S. Television way before Monty Python or Benny Hill. This was my introduction to British Comedy. I had not seen the film for about 25 years until I found it on video. It was just as funny as when I saw it as a child!

It's funny, camp and silly. I can watch it over and over again. Alistair Sim in drag in a hoot! The stereotypes are hysterical. I believe this was the film that inspired Carry-On movies, which in turn inspired other sketch comedies. If you can look past the fact that this movie is almost 50 years old, I strongly recommend getting a hold of it for some good, old-fashioned bawdy laughs!

Huge fun - the finest of the series

Author: didi-5 from United Kingdom
17 October 2004

The St Trinian's film series, in which a rowdy crowd of girls, their drunken and appalling teachers, and their 'refined' headmistress (played by a man, natch), remain high in any league table of Britain's comedy moments.

In a cast headed by the superb Alistair Sim (Miss Fritton, the headmistress; and her brother, race shark Clarence) we also find Joyce Grenfell as a policewoman joining the staff undercover (and no one was better than Grenfell at this jolly hockey kind of stuff), Beryl Reid as a mannish, drunken chemistry teacher, Hermoine Baddeley and Irene Handl as memorably unsuitable members of staff, George Cole as 'flash' Harry, an odd-job man who deals with the export of the St Trinian's bathtub gin and places racing bets for the girls, and the incomparable Richard Wattis as a harassed Ministry of Education inspector.

The girls themselves include some memorable turns - Vivienne Martin as chain-smoking Bella, Belinda Lee as horny Amanda, also Barbara Windsor and Carol White are somewhere in there.

The plot revolves around a race horse, Arab Boy, who ends up in the fourth-former's dormitory; a side plot involves missing Ministers of Education, who have become part of the staff as 'the Lotus Eaters'.

Probably the funniest of the series, this film is fast-paced, furious, with some violent 'old girls', some wonderful set-pieces, and a nice script from Launder and Gilliat.

British fun that spawned an industry

Author: chris-fowler from United Kingdom
3 August 2005

The first of five St Trinian's films (although the last is usually discounted) was based around artist Ronald Searle's schoolgirl characters, and features the wonderful Alastair Sim in drag as Millicent Fritton, headmistress, as well as her own brother. Much of the humour is dated, yet curiously touching and outrageous in today's PC world - the girls drink, gamble, smoke and are later sold off to rich Arabs, yet always remain in charge, defeating bureaucrats, police, judges and other establishment figures as they maraud across England. Perhaps because the films have been so regularly seen on TV, St Trinians still inspires fancy dress parties and club nights. The films have recurring characters that include PC Ruby Gates (Joyce Grenfell) and Flash Harry (George Cole). The precursor to the entire series is a charming film called 'The Happiest Days Of Your Life' (1950).

An absolute gem.

Author: Jim Birmingham from Chatsworth, CA
15 August 1999

This bright hilarious English comedy about school girl antics is a neglected gem. The significant question is where is the audience? The film is rated 10 by most voters, but how many voters is that? They don't make comedies like this anymore because the films don't get distributed or seen. I would never miss a chance to see this old art house classic again. But where are the art houses?

An art house classic minus an audience

Author: Jim Birmingham from Chatsworth, CA
16 August 1999

This comic classic of English school girl antics is and was one of the great art house classics. Then the art house disappeared with the arrival of videos. And so did the audience for this movie. The loss is not to the art houses or to this great film. The loss is to those who will never have a real opportunity to view this memorable laugh filled cinematic masterpiece. But I am preaching to the converted aren't I. Who else would search for this flick?

One of the funniest...

Author: (rramonlugo@aol.com) from New York City, USA
1 May 2003

I first saw this film in the late fifties or early sixties on tv. If I recall correctly there were a few other films in the story of the St. Trinian's Belles. I don't remember the others quite well, but the first one is without question one of the funniest films out of Britain I have ever seen. For that matter, out of anywhere. The sight gags are fast and furious, the dialogue is to die for and almost all the characters are brilliantly drawn and just plain funny. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves immensely. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who appreciates good old fashioned comedy (not rated R) and I think even children will love it. This is one of those movies (and its sequels) that I would pay almost anything to own. Enjoy it if you ever get a chance to see it.

George Cole is brilliant.......

Author: (walmington@yahoo.com) from Bristol, England
31 October 2000

the first and probably the best of the three original St. Trinian's films. What with Alastir Sim and Joyce Grenfell, this film will definitely make you laugh. however, I personally think what makes the film what it is is Flash Harry, the local cockney spiv played expertly well by George Cole. The interaction between Cole, Sim and Grenfell is magic. Flash Harry is a fantastic character and can't but make you laugh. A classic, classic film.

George Cole is brilliant.......

Author: (walmington@yahoo.com) from Bristol, England
31 October 2000

The first and probably the best of the three original St. Trinian's films. What with Alastair Sim and Joyce Grenfell, this film will definitely make you laugh. However, I personally think what makes the film what it is is Flash Harry, the local cockney spiv played expertly well by George Cole. The interaction between Cole, Sim and Grenfell is magic. Flash Harry is a fantastic character and can't but make you laugh. A classic, classic film.

Classic

Author: Jabnic
25 June 1999

Alistair Simms is a wonder in this. He makes such a good headmistress. The role given here for George Cole was made for him. Hence, the casting job on this film was perfect. I think it was one of those rare occasions where everything clicked. the story line was good, the comic dialogue a scream and the older prefect girls a delight!! Each character you are endeared to, even the villains. Why can't we make films like this any more. Basically, this is a very English comedy with good movement and fluidity.

A True Classic of the Genre

Author: LateNighter from Stone Mountain, Georgia
22 February 2005

There are other movies about boarding schools and the antics of the students and staff, but "The Belles of St. Trinian's" towers above them all! The plot has been thoroughly summarized by other posters, so I won't cover the same ground. I just want to say that it's a shame that it's FINALLY out on DVD, but in a format that can't be used in the U.S.! :-(

Enjoy, fellow fans in New Zealand and Australia! And if anyone reading this has any pull in such matters, PLEASE help get it released on DVD with Region 1 encoding! Also, is it possible to be notified via e-mail when (I won't say "if") it is released on DVD in the United States? Thanks!