IMDb > Project Moon Base (1953) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Project Moon Base More at IMDbPro »

Please, Do Not Walk On The Walls

Author: junk-monkey (liam@merriol.freeserve.co.uk) from Highlands of Scotland
3 April 2008

An enemy agent sneaks himself on board the first circum-Luna space flight and, when he is discovered, forces the rest of the crew (all two of them) to make the first landing on the moon. Shortly thereafter he gets himself conveniently killed and the other two members have to get married because apart from anything else they are 250,000 miles from earth - without a chaperon! (Did I mention they were a man and a woman with a history who hated each other on sight? Well they were and they did.) For a movie with almost no plot and even less in the way of characters it is remarkably well thought-out in the technical department. Phones in the near future of 1953 were still huge clunking great black Bakelite things with dials on the front, but they had dinky little aerials on hand set and receiver which meant characters could walk about the room talking without a string getting in the way. Like yeah! I mean how likely is that?? There's all sorts of stuff that technically is far above most of the other SF dross of the period: the ship that takes our crew from Earth up to the space station is streamlined but the one that makes the trip to the moon looks like a pile of tin cans taped together. This was 1953, sixteen years before 2001 introduced the concept that spaceships didn't have to look like a torpedo with wings to a wider audience. And in the space station, where everyone was weightless and walked about using magnetic boots,I loved the notice that said: 'Please, Do Not Walk On The Walls' (it was painted upside-down on the other side of the corridor for the benefit of people walking on the ceiling).

This movie also contained the best non special effect I have seen for ages. Towards the end, our hero (on the Moon) is in conference with his boss, The General, (on Earth) via the huge wall to wall Enterprise-like TV screen. Our hero paces back and forth his control room. The General on Earth sits behind his desk and talks to him man to man. Every time our hero walks past the screen, his shadow falls across the General's desk revealing the fact that the actor playing the General is merely sat the other side of a big hole in the set's wall, delivering his half of the conversation to an imaginary camera somewhere in the middle distance, while doing a heroic job of ignoring the other actor in the room with him.

A very long 63 minutes; most of which was spent waiting for the heroine's rather peachy, hot-pant clad bum to appear again.