IMDb > The Little Kidnappers (1953) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Kidnappers

The Little Kidnappers More at IMDbPro »The Kidnappers (original title)

Two small orphaned children in Nova Scotia find a baby and keep it as a pet.

Author: phyllisbrookss from United States
22 March 2005

Another of the older generation chiming in! I saw this on its first release and have never forgotten it. I can still recite whole sections: "Granddaddy, granddaddy, don't eat the babby!" or the two little boys deciding what to call the baby girl: "We'll call it Edward, after the king"; "I still think Rover's a very nice name." And the scene as the Scottish girl washes her hair by the fire under the loving eye of the Dutchman, Theodore Bikel.

The black and white photography is magical. The view of the tall grandfather striding along with his flying beard, seen from the level of the littlest boy, is still tattooed behind my eyes!

Definitely a must-see.

I pair it with another long-time favorite, the South African "Pennywhistle Blues," as a cherished treasure.

Heartwarming movie rarely seen today

Author: Aidan O'Connor from Dublin, Ireland
5 January 2006

I came across this charming film today, purely by accident while scanning my TV channels. I was absolutely delighted at this lucky chance. It is 52 years ago since I saw it on its 1st release and many memories came flooding back of a film which made a great impression on me as a young boy. The background of old world emigrants carving out new lives in the wilds of Nova Scotia, the script using authentic Scottish phrases and idioms, the splendid acting by the principals all combined to make a lasting memory of this excellent story. As a boy, I could never forget the final scene where the formally stern grandfather relents and orders an Irish Setter for his his 2 grandsons. Their delighted expressions filled the final fade-out - an unforgettable film for me and one which should fill the Christmas TV schedules in preference to some of the less memorable films which turn up every year.

wonderful

Author: gabriel364 from United States
8 November 2005

I saw this movie on television when I was a child and thought it was wonderful. There must be a copy of this poignant film out there somewhere that can be reproduced for public consumption. I'd love to add it to our video collection. The children were outstanding little actors. I believe that one of the children also played in the British version of Lord of the Flies. The harsh environment of the children and the eventual softening of the heart of the grandfather when he allows them to have a dog was incredibly touching. It reminded me, in a way of my step-father who was a wonderful hardworking man who found it difficult to show affection but when it really counted was always there for you.

Adorable Scottish Accents

Author: loreguy from United States
25 March 2006

My siblings and I would always call babies "the bah-bee" because of how the boys pronounced that word with Scottish accents that could charm a stone.

Continuing the tradition, my wife and I have used "the bah-bee", or "the bahby" as our secret name for our daughter (now 15).

I have not seen the movie since I was a child, and it is tragic that I and others cannot see it now, due to the lack of DVD or video availability.

I guess it doesn't have enough explosions in it...and the actors mostly act, rather than fight or have sex.

Love this Film

Author: cat_rose from Highlands, Scotland
2 January 2007

This film means a lot to me and my family. Duncan MacRae (Grandaddie) is a relative on my mother's side. It is lovely to hear these nice comments about this film from people as I think it is a great film. The two wee boys are such fantastic actors and make the film what it is. I have a cousin who was the spitting image of Davy. We used to make him run around yelling 'Don't eat the babbie, Grandaddie!'

I am still trying to find it on DVD/Video for my grandmother as we only have an old copy that was recorded off the telly. So if anyone can tell me where I could get a hold of an official copy of it that would be great.

Oscar winner

Author: Drew McFarlane Slack from Scotland
5 May 2002

It is often overlooked that the (Little) Kidnappers young star Jon Whitely received a special Oscar for his portrayal of Harry in this film. Acting honours aside, this film is about the most perfect little family movie you will ever see.

A must see

Author: Fred Havn (fredhavn@bc.sympatico.ca) from Victoria, BC, Canada
14 July 1999

A great film in B&W with a great story and I'm desperately trying to buy it in B&W from somewhere in the world. A good movie to watch with your family. Buy it, rent it.

The Little Kidnappers - 1953 version - the best version!!

Author: pamela-christensen from United States
6 September 2007

What a great movie. The story is wonderful and the children in this movie are absolutely amazing. They are so natural and adorable. Actually, everyone in this film is believable and natural. The remake with Charleton Heston doesn't even come close in quality to this 1953 heart warmer. The true disappointment is that this movie has never been on video or DVD. I've looked for years and have only found pirated copies of the film as it was taped from television! And it's been years since it was on television, even as a late night movie. I miss it and would be very happy if this film was made into DVD. It's my mother's favorite movie and I would love to get her a VHS or DVD version of it!

Watch it if you get the chance, you'll enjoy

Author: mcdonald1954 from United Kingdom
6 November 2007

An absolutely superb family film, free of gimmicks and superstars. every child and adult should grow up seeing this gem. It is one to be liked by all ages. The British Film industry is always credited with third rate pictures, but here we see a film that, although shot in black and white, shows they could churn out films that were the equal of any films that were made in Hollywood. Its also a credit that the actors, especially the youngsters, not forgetting Duncan MacCrae went on to make their mark in similar genre throughout their acting careers. The scenery, spoiled, of course due to lack of colour film being used, showed the ruggedness of the countryside, filming was superb and getting down to basics, how often are there children the stars of a feature length film?

Fond memories

Author: gordiepearson from United Kingdom
10 July 2006

I also remember this film with great fondness after watching with my grandmother many years ago ,the conversation between the older boy Harry and the young lad still brings a smile to my face.."Is this oor babee Harry..?" answer - "No its mine but you can share it". I would love to see this heartwarming film again,the memory of the Grandfather giving the children the two red setter dogs at the end still brings a lump to my throat...I would make this film compulsory viewing and would my love children to see this wonderful tale,I suppose really it could be classed as a feel good film and the atmosphere the film provides showing the rural struggles of Scotland at that time makes it almost Dickensian..tremendos film hope its not lost forever.