IMDb > By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
By the Light of the Silvery Moon

A lovely film, but one oddity

Author: Paul Terry from Warwickshire, United Kingdom
5 January 2007

I saw this again recently on British TV. It's a great film, with plenty of nostalgia, nice period atmosphere, and the lovely Doris Day. One slight oddity, though: her boy-friend returns from World War 1 in time for Thanksgiving (23rd November?), and says the Germans surrendered the day his unit got to Paris (11th November), so he must have got on a boat back to the States & been demobilised pretty quick to be home in less than 2 weeks (unless it took a year for that to happen!). Nonetheless, I recommend this very much to anyone interested in the Golden Age of American film musicals, the decade from 1945 to 1955, and the wonderful stars who beguiled us with their gentle escapism.

Great holiday(s) film and great songs

Author: LP Spurlock (lpspurlock) from US!!
3 December 2001

I happen to be a fan of Doris Day's so I tend to watch anything of hers I can manage to snag on television or rent from the video store. When I saw this, I was not disappointed. It was cute, funny and some of the songs in the movie were great (like Be My Baby Bumblebee..haha). Gordon McRae, as always, has a wonderful voice and it was nice to see him paired up w/ Doris. Billy Gray as Welsey made me chuckle with the turkey scene..and Mary Wickes as Stella the housekeeper even threw in a few lines that made me chuckle as well. I love watching it any time of the year, but it happens to air around the holidays more..which actually appeals to me. It's nice to be able to relate to a movie especially when it is based around the same time of the year that you are experiencing at that moment. If you have a chance to see it, I would definitely recommend it.

I want to swoon, to my honey I croon love's tune

Author: JLB-4
4 September 1999

I like this film. It was well done with Doris and Gordon in the lead as small time sweet hearts. I watch this every Christmas! It gets me in the mood for ice-skating! I love the songs. The plot involved a small town family and how the children think their father is having an affair with an actress. The father is the same father in Meet Me In St. Louis. JUST WATCH IT!!!

I've just seen it again

Author: zapkvrsc from Geelong, Australia
9 June 2003

For about the millionth time and it's right up there with The Sound of Music. I love Doris and I love Gordon. There is such a chemistry between them that shines through on the screen it is remarkable. I really can't decide which is the better of the two, By the light of the silvery moon or On moonlight bay. Sheer brilliance.

"Your Silvery Dreams, Will Bring Love Beams"

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
23 August 2008

On Moonlight Bay proved so popular with audiences looking for entertainment and tales of what they thought was a simpler era, that By The Light Of The Silvery Moon was almost demanded to be made. Repeating their roles from the previous Warner Brothers hit were Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Billy Gray, Leon Ames, Rosemary DeCamp and the trenchant Mary Wickes as the indispensable maid of the Wingfield Family.

The last film was set in 1916-1917 and ended with Gordon MacRae going off to World War I after graduating college with Doris Day promising to wait for him. The armistice has happened and its 1919 and the dough-boys are returning home, in MacRae's case to Indiana.

Of course there are a few bumps in the road including Russell Arms who's been trying to score with Doris while Gordon's away. And a French actress who's taking a lease on a theater that banker Ames's employer has had title defaulted to. Through some dumb errors worthy of an Astaire-Rogers film everyone thinks Ames is stepping out with Maria Palmer playing the actress.

No original songs were written for this film set in 1919. The songs were all in keeping with the period when the Roaring Twenties Jazz Age hadn't taken hold yet. The earliest copyrighted song from the score is Just One Girl which Gordon does with a nice little buck and wing thrown in. It's my favorite number from the film.

If you liked On Moonlight Bay there is no reason you won't like By The Light Of The Silvery Moon. Doris and Gordon certainly made some beautiful music together.

Wonderful followup film

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
14 July 2006

This is the second of two movies about the same characters. Doris Day and Gordon MacRae play young newlyweds who are separated by WWI in this turn of the century inspired by the stories of Booth Tarkington. The story is told from her point of view and her home life with her mother, father and bratty brother are central to the film. Of the family members, the most memorable is Billy Gray ("Bud" from FATHER KNOWS BEST), as he is a terrible little brat that is a lot like Dennis the Menace and the Problem Child all rolled up into one.

While this film is so similar to the first that you might just mix them up in your mind after you see them, the movies are so pleasant and fun that you really don't mind. A wonderful romantic slice of life movie with a wonderful blend of comedy and heart.

If you were the only boy in the world..

Author: healing-2 from Netherlands
25 September 2007

If I have to make a choice between all the movies Doris Day has made, I cannot make that choice. She is my favorite and that is because of my mother. We used to sing several songs in the kitchen doing the dishes, or making food. Lots of my friends who are the same age as me, don't have that feeling with the movies of Doris Day. But when I see those movies, it is making me relaxed, happy or sad sometimes. Most of all I like the way she is singing the songs with such a emotion, you cannot find in every singer. I wish I could sing that way or dance like in Calamity Jane. Unfortunately they don't make that kind of movies anymore, but we have the most of those movies on DVD bought her in The Netherlands. Great singers, great actors, love it

Has the charm of an old-fashioned holiday card...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
1 January 2007

BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON is a continuation of "On Moonlight Bay", the previous flick featuring DORIS DAY and GORDON MacRAE as sweethearts during the early 1900s who get to croon some pretty wonderful songs of that period. It's strictly family stuff, nostalgic and as prettily pictured as a postcard of an Americana that never really existed except in Hollywood's imagination and Norman Rockwell paintings.

The delightful supporting cast has LEON AMES (who was also Judy Garland's father in MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS), MARY WICKE (as the sharp-tongued housekeeper), ROSEMARY DeCAMP as the patient wife and RUSSELL ARMS as Doris' nerdy other love.

The wholesome story (from a Booth Tarkington tale) has Doris' bratty brother letting his childish imagination running away from him when he suspects his father is having an affair with a French actress.

The skating ring sequence closes the story on a happy note--and after a nice bunch of songs by Day and MacRae (including "Be My Little Baby Bumble-Bee", "If You Were the Only Girl in the World" and "By the Light of the Silvery Moon"), you'll feel yourself back in those innocent times wishing life could imitate the movies.

..and what about this young lady's feelings..?

Author: christopher lyons from United Kingdom
14 September 2006

I have seen this film along with On Moonlight Bay many times on TV, not when they originally came out in the cinema, I wasn't a big fan of musicals then and I can't say I'm a big fan of Doris Day, but these two films are so uplifting and fun they are excellent to watch. It's something to do with the balance of light drama/comedy to songs, the songs don't intrude and seem to help the plot along. If I had to choose, it would probably be this film out of the two because of the great feel good factor with everyone enjoying themselves at the end out at the pond. My favourite scene is right at the end when Leon Ames seems to be the only one who hasn't got a clue what's going on, and says to his wife ..."and what did you think.... and she's just as puzzled as he his and the music comes up.........

Follow-up to "On Moonlight Bay" provides the same recipe as before...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
31 December 2006

Bemused old-fashioned corn from Warners, pleasantly set in small town America over the Thanksgiving holiday. A sequel to 1951's "On Moonlight Bay", the film continues the love story of Doris Day (in her tomboy period) and soldier Gordon McRae, as well as Doris' trouble-making little brother Billy Gray, and father Leon Ames (who finds himself involved in a scandal). Extremely pleasant, but a little lax. Director David Butler and his likable cast don't push the saccharine, they stay somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and Mary Wickes is a blessing as the sarcastic maid. However all these elements and characters were better (and fresher) the first time around. ** from ****