IMDb > "The Man Behind the Badge" (1953) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Man Behind the Badge" More at IMDbPro »

a good solid procedural

Author: skoyles from Calgary AB Canada
18 January 2006

I have little or no recollection of this series from my childhood but was fortunate enough to obtain some episodes on a cheapie DVD set call "Police TV". Filled with interesting character actors from half a century ago, some of whom are (surprisingly) still alive e.g. Dabbs Greer, through most are long gone. So many of these fine journeyman actors populated television and motion pictures for decades that they are like familiar acquaintances. It provides an extra dimension seeing these talented and often unsung folk. "The Man Behind The Badge" provides starring roles for many who seldom had such as it is in effect a series with no central character. Only the narrator provides continuity and so we have almost repertory theatre. The cases vary in subject, setting and interest while the writing benefits from its roots in such radio programmes as "Gangbusters". The sets are simple and there is sometimes a stage bound feel but such as the case with all 50s series. At least we do not have to endure the change from film inside to video outside that tortured our eyes in many slightly later series. Worth a look; a good solid police procedural.

Crappy Biased Crime Solver Reenactments

Author: Viktor Vedmak (realvedmak) from Canada
22 February 2014

I marked this SPOILER, so if you do not want episode spoiled STOP reading now.

As sample of how craptastic this TV show was I'll use episode called 'Case of the Dying Past'.

A 'bad guy' in this episode is moneylender who charges 'outrageous and illegal' 20 percent interest.Really? What a terrible person! Twenty percent. And he would threaten to tell family members random things if his 'victims' did not pay what they owed him. Mind you, not break their legs like modern day Shylock would have his goons do, no, he would 'verbally abuse' his 'victims'.

That's how STUPID this show was.Made by weak willed individuals for the weak willed audience. Not my cup of tea.

If you are dumb enough to agree to 20% interest, then you should honor your agreement, you are not a victim. Legality of issue is matter of whatever times you live in and has nothing to do with keeping your word and personal integrity.

"The Most Feared Man in the Justice System"

Author: kidboots from Australia
26 December 2013

Because of his outspokenness Charles Bickford never became the big star MGM hoped they could make him. Very early on in his contract (his third film) he had a huge fight with L.B. Mayer and watched as his career was sidelined. During the fifties, with the big influx of police show realism, his gruff and forthright personality seemed perfect to host "The Man Behind the Badge" - which takes a look at the State's Attorney, the most feared man in the justice system. These few shows I found on "Best of TV Detectives". "The Case of the Dying Past" - deals with an elderly citizen of Vermont who is accused by some unknown letter writer of being a loan shark. The S.A visits and finds a bitter, angry man who despises the new fangled world he is forced to live in. When he is found bludgeoned to death the whole town is suspected. Former child star Gene Reynolds stars as the man in the red cap. "The Case of the Capital Crime" - about the apprehension of the murderer of two night watchmen. The search ends with Jay Patterson, a moody dreamer, an insomniac who frequents all night movies and gives himself up because the police treated his mother kindly.