IMDb > Singin' in the Rain (1952) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Singin' in the Rain

Singin' in the Rain More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 59: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Be Warned: This is a musical!

Author: j-goslin from United States
11 May 2016

I can't say this is one of my favorite movies. I'm not a huge fan of musicals so I did not have very high aspirations for this film. I thought that the plot would be a little more exciting so that caused me to loose focus and therefore ultimately not like the film. The only saving grace for this film was that the characters were moderately funny which made it relatively enjoyable and kept my interest until then end. The cinematic elements of this film were very strong but I think the most effective was the light and obviously, since this is a musical, the sound. The light really gave the film that movie studio look that the production staff was looking for. The movie sounded good overall and those who have a greater appreciation for music could certainly find a loathing for the way the sound was implemented in the film.

Singing in the Rain Review

Author: anthonydavid-25706 from United States
18 December 2015

This is a musical, may I say anymore? If you enjoy musicals you will enjoy this film. I particularly do not so I had a rough time with this one. However, there were certain aspects that anyone can enjoy about this film. The grand chorus lines and just sheer size of some of the scenes is quite impressive, as well as the coloring. The plot is quite serious actually but Gene Kelly does a great job of adding comedy and boastfulness to the film. The music, not being my cup of tea, is still very great and if you are into large Broadway productions you will love this film. The mise-en-sense of the film is charming. I thought the choreography stood out a lot as well, it is a fun movie and if you like musicals you will love this film.

Singin' In the Rain (1952)

Author: Lukec1229 from United States
3 December 2015

I'm not usually one for musicals, but this film was actually pretty enjoyable. The story was interesting and making it about the change from silent to talking films was a good subject. It not only showed how people felt about it, but what it also meant for the actors/actress' and the movie business at the time. This was the perfect subject for the film as in this film they also show just how far sound and color have come from the age that is portrayed, putting on elaborate and colorful singing and dancing routines. Some of the routines did get a little carried away at times, but overall they weren't too frequent or overbearing and there was a pretty good balance of musical and story.

Over the top at times, but fun to watch

Author: Bryan Oliver (randomguy1234567890) from United States
18 November 2015

I think some of the songs could have been cut. The dream-like sequence at the end didn't really seem to fit in, and also there are parts I think could have been cut out. The Good Morning song I guess makes sense (it was morning), but I think it could have been cut, for example.

Regardless, it is an excellent example of a comedy, and of a musical done well. I just don't like it when they begin dancing spontaneously, as it takes me out of the world within the movie. That's just me though.

The ending was fantastic as well, with the tension building up, and then the grand reveal behind the curtain, and everyone lives happily ever after. That didn't even feel contrived to me, and I think it's difficult to pull of a happy ending like that while making it feel natural.

Amazing

Author: miss_flowers from United States
10 December 2012

Singing in the Rain has got to be one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm 20 years old, and my mother raised me on the songs, but I had never seen the movie itself until I took a cinema class in college, and boy, was I missing out. The music and sound were incredible, as well as the tracking shots. It all has a kind of staged feel which I felt fit very well with the plot of the movie, since most of it DID take place on the stage. And, we have the introduction of dancing and musical numbers, which are always a great thing to throw in. Keeping in the trend of having the viewer feel like the people they are viewing, everything was lit very well, which is reminiscent of the stage lights that they had to stand under. Furthermore, the viewer is introduced to the type of problems that they might face if they were in show business during the transition from silent to sound: Worrying about one's voice, etc. I really think it's an incredible movie that doesn't get near enough attention.

I can't stop smiling,,,Help!

Author: ChristophCinema from United States
6 December 2012

Singin' in the Rain is one of those movies I think of when I think "classic". I have a question; who can hate this movie? Just like Wizard of Oz, this movie is so full of life, so colorful, so upbeat, so happy, what's not to like? The songs are great, the characters are great, the art direction is great, everything is just great. This movie brings such a big smile to my face that I have to go to a surgeon to fix it. If you're ever feeling down, Singin' in the Rain is the perfect movie to watch. I love the story, and how it tells of the tragic time when movies went to sound and a lot of actors couldn't make the transition. It's like The Artist, but much happier. The acting is typical 1950s musical acting, and there's a lot of corniness to the whole thing, but that's what makes it hold up so well today. Just like Wizard of Oz, this is a movie most people see at a young age, and grow up loving it. It doesn't seem realistic, but this is classic Hollywood. We don't watch movies to see our own lives, we watch movies because they're the opposite of our terrible reality, and they allow us to escape for a short time. It may be a little silly at times, but it just shows how much fun making movies can be. Singin' in the Rain is a classic, and one of the greatest films of all time. It really is one of the most lovable classics in American cinema.

Good Movie!

Author: kendraocon from United States
27 November 2012

I thought this movie was pretty good! I thought the different technical things that they used were new and different from some of the other movies, making it separate from other movies more.This movie was full of musical numbers and dancing scenes, they added new angles and interesting perspectives. They shot each individual dancing scene in a unique way, in a one of the scenes that they had a montage of scenes in a quick moment. One particular scene with Kathy and Don dancing on stage, the perspective and angle isn't consistent, it switches up from close up shots to scenes that are farther away. In the Singing in the Rain scene, the do a pan shot of him walking along sidewalk. The use of the Technicolor was very cool, and it worked for the movie and I think if certain scenes were not in color it would not show the same effects.

A great movie that's great fun

Author: hall895 from New Jersey
26 November 2012

There are plenty of movies which may be a lot of fun but aren't really great movies. Singin' in the Rain is a great movie. And great fun. It is one of the most iconic movies ever and deservedly so. Even people who have never seen the whole movie know Gene Kelly splashing about in the rain. But this is a movie which is so much more than that one legendary musical number. For starters there are plenty of other musical numbers which are just as good as, or perhaps depending on your tastes, even better than Kelly's famous nighttime twirl through the rainy streets. But what makes the movie truly great is that it does not have to rely solely on the big song-and-dance numbers. This is a movie with a great story. So many musicals are just biding their time between songs. Not this one. There are actually compelling things going on between the songs. And funny things too. Add it all up and this is absolutely fabulous entertainment.

It's Kelly everyone remembers most but great credit must also go to his co-stars Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds. The three of them make such a great team, their Good Morning number is as good as it gets, just as much of a highlight as the title song. We know what a legendary dancer Kelly is but O'Connor and Reynolds more than hold their own. O'Connor even gets a showcase of his own with Make 'Em Laugh, a number which is as much acrobatics as dance. Kelly, O'Connor and Reynolds are all terrific in their singing, their dancing and their acting. And yet perhaps the best performance is turned in by Jean Hagen. And Hagen doesn't do any singing or dancing at all. And that's the point. Hagen, a wonderfully talented actress, is playing a completely terrible actress who can't sing, can't dance, can't even talk. It takes a great actress to pull that off and Hagen absolutely nails it.

The story takes place in Hollywood at the dawn of the talking pictures era. Kelly and Hagen play Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont, the most famous and popular screen couple of the time. But they are silent film stars, the transition to talkies will be quite painful. The biggest problem is Lina's voice which is indescribably bad, grating to the extreme. The movie has plenty of fun at her expense and milks lots of laughs out of the overall struggle of those working in film at the time to come to grips with this newfangled sound technology. How can Don Lockwood go forward in this new era if he's attached to the talentless dim-bulb Lina? Enter, thanks to a rather ingenious suggestion from Don's friend Cosmo Brown, young Kathy Selden. Kathy's got the talent and the charm Lina lacks and Reynolds plays the part of the wide-eyed girl caught up in the crazy world of Hollywood so beautifully. Don and Kathy could be a great pairing, on and off screen...if only Lina could be nudged out of the way.

There is a story here full of comic possibilities and the movie takes full advantage of it. O'Connor's character of Cosmo has a few clownish moments but nothing too far over-the top. No need for a lot of slapstick silliness. The movie's more subtle than that. Smarter too. And whereas many musicals struggle to weave the songs into the story everything fits together wonderfully here. The only real misstep comes near the end with a huge production number which unfortunately sticks out like a sore thumb. In addition to going on for far too long it is quite disconnected from the plot. It really seems like an indulgence for co-director Kelly. There was nobody who could tell him it didn't belong. It's performed very well, it just is out of place. And it stops the movie's momentum just as it should be building to a big finish. It's one musical number too far. But that should not detract from what is all in all a brilliantly conceived and performed movie. It may have slowed down a touch at the end but it still has its big finish, and a thoroughly satisfying finish at that. Such a fun, enjoyable, charming movie. Great entertainment. What a glorious feeling indeed.

Perhaps the Greatest Musican Ever Made

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
12 July 2012

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

**** (out of 4)

If this isn't the greatest musical ever made it's certainly near the very top of the list. Set in 1927, a movie studio decides to pull the production on a silent picture and convert it to sound. The lead star (Gene Kelly) is fine with the idea but the only problem is that the leading lady (Jean Hagen) doesn't have a good speaking voice. After a disastrous preview screening, the idea gets launched that they should dub the actresses voice with that of someone who can sing and speak (Debbie Reynolds). SINGIN' IN THE RAIN just had its 60th Anniversary re-release and it was quite something getting to see it on the big screen but what's even more remarkable was the fact that the film made it this long. It's funny to know that the film was only a moderate success when it was first released and I wonder what the Kelly and company would have thought at the time if people would be gathering sixty years later to watch the film, which is certainly one of the most loved of all time. Even though everything in the film is a major success, I think it's fair to say that Kelly deserves most of the credit since he not only played the lead but he also co-directed, came up with the dances and helped with just about every part of the picture. The work Kelly does here is just remarkable and especially considering how many terrific moments there are with just the singing and dancing alone. The title track and dance is one of the most memorable, charming and joyous in film history but we also get classic takes with 'Make Em Laugh,' 'Good Morning' and the closing big number, a take on 'The Broadway Melody.' Not only are these sequences terrific but so is the main story as it works perfectly well as a throwback to the day when musicals really took off. The stuff dealing with Hollywood's transition from silent to sound rings especially true and leads to some terrific jokes and some very funny moments. Of course, it goes without saying but the entire cast is terrific with Kelly leading the way with a very strong performance in the lead. Reynolds is also very good as the virginal new star and Donald O'Connor gets some terrific moments with his laugh out loud funny performance. Hagen deserves a lot of credit for the high-pitched dumb blonde who can't do anything right. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is clearly one masterpiece that really lives up to its high reputation. It really doesn't matter how many times you've seen it, the magic lives on each repeat viewing because the dancing, the singing, the mood and the performances are simply so good that it's impossible not to get drawn into the material.

Gene Kelly at his finest,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
12 July 2012

Singin' In The Rain is a fantastic movie that is quite funny,with great music and a nice story to it.Its largely considered one of the greatest films ever made and is well deserved with this honour.But it would not have gone anywhere without the fantastic acting of Gene Kelly,who would be my favourite actor of this era.But he doesn't deserve all the credit,Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds also did a fantastic job.The music is brilliant,especially Singin' In The Rain and Good' Mornin.

Two big stars,Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) and Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen) are having a difficult time making a transition to sound.Don decides to start his first movie with sound along with his good friend Cosmo Brown (Donald O'Connor),and he met after saving him from his crazed fans,Katty Selden (Debbie Reynolds),who start to fall for each other.But the audience wants Don and Lina to be together.