Rock-a-Bye Bear (1952) Poster

Rock-a-Bye Bear is another great Tex Avery cartoon I just rewatched
tavm27 November 2008
When linked this cartoon from YouTube and mentioned the short's premise in the blog, I had to watch this again since I remember laughing at it so much in the late '70s when I was a kid watching the weekday afternoon "Tom and Jerry" show where Tex Avery's Rock-a-Bye Bear was showcased. In a nutshell, Spike the bulldog has a job to watch a bear stay hibernated during winter. Trouble is, another dog wants that job and since the bear is constantly shouting about wanting complete quiet and usually wakes up at the slightest noise, that other dog does everything in his power to make sure Spike loses his job. Fortunately, Spike always finds a way to go way outside to avoid the sleeping bear's ears...Just as hilarious as I remembered it and that bear-voiced by Daws Butler in a Southern loud mouth tone that sounds like a bellicose Huckleberry Hound-provides some of the cartoon's highlights along with all those tricks of that other dog. All I can say after that is, if you love Tex Avery, you'll definitely love this cartoon!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cruel, heartless and I love it!!
MartinHafer27 September 2007
Tex Avery cartoons are awful. They often abound with sadism and cruelty that makes many "do gooder" parents cringe. Thankfully, I am NOT one of those humorless idiots who whine about violence in cartoons. I say we need MORE, not less. And when I need a violent cartoon fix, who better to fit the bill than Tex Avery and his wonderful and irreverent films for MGM.

This film is chock full of violence--thanks to an insane bear who hires Spike the dog to be his watch dog during hibernation. As the bear is unhinged, he threatens grievous bodily harm to Spike if anything should wake him--and the nasty little white dog decides to take full advantage of the situation. Again and again and again, the little dog hurts Spike and Spike is forced to run out into the wilderness to scream. Hammers to feet, firecrackers in the mouth and many other violent and extremely painful things are done to poor old Spike, though fortunately in the end he gets his revenge.

Good old fashion cartoon violence and a great sense of humor--what more could you want in a film?!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
one of my favorite cartoons
gcl19693 September 2000
This is, in my opinion, one of the best cartoons ever made, and a semi-classic. The cartoon has such a simple premise, however, Tex Avery is able to carry it off successfully for the length of a 7 minute cartoon. Definitely one of my favorite of all time.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of several cartoons using the need for quiet as a springboard for typical Avery bedlam
Robert Reynolds27 December 2000
More than once, Tex Avery used the idea that it was in someone's best interests to maintain quiet and someone else wanted the opposite. Here we have a bear with an almost pathological hatred of noise (except his own). Efforts to maintain quiet result in sight gags galore of the usual variety in an Avery cartoon and are very funny. The bear steals the cartoon. Most recommended.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A noisy battle for quiet
TheLittleSongbird16 October 2017
Love animation, it was a big part of my life as a child, particularly Disney, Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry, and still love it whether it's film, television or cartoons.

Also have much admiration for Tex Avery, an animation genius whose best cartoons are animated masterpieces and some of the best he ever did. 'Rock-a-Bye Bear' is an example of an animated masterpiece and one of his all time best, it is a cartoon of amazing quality, is very creative and hilarious, the violence (lots of it and big in scale) used in an inventive and tasteful way and it is a situation also that anybody can relate to if they've had their fair share of disturbed nights.

Spike is very funny and likable, very easy to be amused at but feel sorry for, but the star of 'Rock-a-Bye Bear' is Joe the Bear. He bags the biggest laughs (which are hilarious) and is someone you don't want to get on the wrong side of. Bill Thompson voices Spike marvellously, but top honours go to Daws Butler, some of his best voice work in an Avery cartoon.

Typically, Avery does a wonderful job directing, with his unique, unlike-any-other visual and characteristic and incredibly distinctive wacky humour style all over it as can be expected.

Once again there is nothing sadistic or repetitious, instead it's imaginative, wonderfully wild and hilarious throughout from start to finish.

It is no surprise either that the animation is superb, being rich in colour and detail. The character designs are unique, Avery always did have creative character designs, and suitably fluid. The music, courtesy of Scott Bradley, is lushly and cleverly orchestrated, with lively and energetic rhythms and fits very well indeed.

Summing up, an Avery masterpiece. 10/10 Bethany Cox
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too painful to watch!
vawlkee_20008 May 2010
What happened to the Barney bear we all loved? This sure as hell ain't him! That's what happens when they took Fred Avery's chain off - he goes nuts! Barney bear, a usually even tempered benign character is reduced to a drooling slobbering monster with no face other than a hole filled with teeth. I don't care if he IS trying to sleep, his violent outbursts and brutal nature are totally out of place and out of character here. I don't find any redemption in this positively awful film. It's something you'd expect from the likes of John K or other punks that take the medium and turn it to crap. This film would shoehorn well into the "new wave" of contemporary animation where "mean" and "cruel" are considered hip and cool! Not only is it not funny or clever in any way, it's just a waste of good animation.
0 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this