Road to Bali (1952) Poster

(1952)

43 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Ad-libbed
bkoganbing23 March 2004
From the very first Road picture Hope and Crosby were known for their ad-libbing. In fact when they guested on each other's shows the two of them would take the script and insert some of their own lines to try and catch the other off-guard.

In this Road picture I will swear that the moment the boys and Dotty Lamour were washed ashore on the proverbial south sea island, the picture is one long ad-lib. I am sure the director said, here's the plot situation just make it up as you go. It's got that kind of spontaneity.

Look for 'guest' appearances by Jane Russell, Humphrey Bogart, Martin and Lewis and Bob Crosby in this wacky romp.

Says Dotty: "I love you Bob, I love you Bing, my heart's in a real wing ding." So do we all.
28 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Look at those girls!
Chris-14714 June 2000
The jokes just keep on coming in this 'Road movie'. There are so many gags here, you'll have to watch this film more than once to get them all. Although the story is very simple, the sets, the girls and especially the amazing Technicolor is a treat to watch. The Road To Bali is the medicine for a grey day!
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A movie that's pretty dang funny
ajlposh8 February 2006
I'm 14, and I'm a huge fan of Bob Hope. I got this movie for Christmas and I loved it. It was so darn funny. Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, and Dorothy Lamour all did a tremendous job. I was laughing my butt off throughout the movie. It was also great seeing Humphery Bogart, Dean Martin, and Jane Russell in cameos. Bob Hope is most funny when performing with Bing. They're a great comedy team. He has delivered lots of funny lines in this movie. It was funny how he made references to being in a movie or how Bing already had an Oscar. Bob Hope is one of the greatest comedians who ever lived and you all know it. Here's to Bob Hope!
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun with Hope & Crosby
willrams31 August 2003
I like all of the Hope and Crosby road pictures even if they were kind of silly. I grew up with them; even saw Hope on stage at the Palace Theater in Cleveland, Ohio in the old vaudeville days (they also had a picture show). Anyhow, as simple as they were, they were funny in their own way, and I loved Crosby singing, and Dorothy Lamour's vocaling in amour! Saw The Road to Bali on the tube AMC for the umpteenth time, and still enjoyed it; as usual the music is great, and the boys really didn't know how to end it! 6/10
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Bali High equivalent of Flying High
ptb-826 January 2006
On a scale of one to a million this rates about a 999,999 on the silly scale. In colour and with beautiful production values ROAD TO BALI made in 1952 contains as many up to date movie and social references as an encyclopedia written by Ludwig Von Drake. In a huge theatre these ROAD films must have lifted the roof with laughter, and as a DVD diversion in 2006 any of them can be a generous and loony mood lifter. There is actually many laugh out loud moments still to be had even if you weren't born or aware of life in the early 50s. THE ROAD TO BALI (pronounced "Bally" by Americans; "Barley" by the rest of us) is basically flat-out hilarious with quips and ad libs galore. Even if you cringe at Bing Crosby as I do, there is enough genuinely funny lines and situations and terrible gags to overwhelm you...much like THE PRODUCERS released this year insists we find it relentlessly dementedly funny. To me Bob Hope has always been Daffy Duck (Groucho Marx was Bugs Bunny) and it is his vaudeville lunacy that carries Crosby inbetween squabbling over Lamour and pushing through all parts of the set. This film has some excellent special effects, very admirable for '52. A hilarious cameo from Jane Russell is the cherry on the icing. Some big dance scenes are an added bonus. Fun fun and demented fun. What a year 1952 was for hilarious films (look 'em up).
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Bob and Bing Show
Lechuguilla22 May 2005
In this very lighthearted comedy, Bob and Bing ham it up in the South Pacific, in search of women and adventure. The plot, which involves deep-sea diving for sunken treasure, is super shallow ... so to speak. But of course the film is just an excuse to highlight the talents of the comic and the crooner. And talent they had. But here, neither the jokes nor the songs are memorable. Fortunately, Dorothy Lamour is on hand to spice things up. The sets are mildly interesting, in a tacky sort of way.

For me, the real value of the "road" movies is the perspective they bring to cinema viewing. My ... how movies have changed in fifty years, and not necessarily for the better. "Road To Bali" wouldn't fly today ... or float, for that matter. But for fans of Hope and Crosby, the film is a pleasant, harmless diversion, a reminder of a more innocent, bygone era in film-making.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This was the first Bob Hope movie I ever saw on TV, when I was a kid.
Carycomic28 July 2003
And, it was the only one of the "Road to..." movies that he and Bing Crosby ever did in Technicolor. The ad-libbed asides to the audience were something I had never seen or heard of before! Even more of a delightful surprise was the cameo appearance by General Burkhalter as a South Sea island chief!! The songs weren't bad, either. * "The Merry-Go-Run-Around" is probably my second-favorite song of Bob's. "Silver Bells" and "Thanks for the Memories" naturally tie for first-place.* With Bob having died this past Sunday, nostalgia channels like AMC and TCM will no doubt include this, and all his other films, in some kind of marathon movie memorial. *Which they really should have done BACK ON HIS CENTENNIAL!* Oh, well. Thanks to you, Bob, for all my merry, mirth-filled memories.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Delightful
bsjjcv24 March 2002
This movie introduced me to the entire "Road to" series. This movie shows how movie chemistry never dies. In their sixth film together, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour show the fun and happiness of making films could be. They were friends and the audience can surely see that. Being the only movie in color makes the elaborate scenery come to life. The jokes are similar to the earlier films, but they are still funny. Do yourself a favor and buy this movie, it's worth it.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Movie Falls Apart in The Last Half
marxi12 February 2004
The first part of the movie is kind of funny. Unfortunately, the movie becomes so ridiculous and idiotic in the last half that it is no longer funny but simply tedious. The songs aren't even very good in this Road Movie. At least Road to Utopia with Hope/Crosby/Lamour had great songs. A funny Bob Hope movie which I can truly recommend is The Lemon Drop Kid.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too many inside jokes leaves the audience out.
mark.waltz9 August 2016
Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but c'mon gag writers of the 1950's, less is more. It is indeed a mixed bag of gags, and by the early 1950's, old movie comics were finding it hard to stay fresh. Bob Hope ends up in the can, literally, in this case a deep sea diver's outfit, possible squid food, set up by the evil cousin of island queen Dorothy Lamour, determined to depose her and claim the gems of sunken treasure for himself. Now a queen without an island after being betrayed, Lamour heads to Bali with hope and tag along Crosby who is determined to get rid of lover boy Hope and get l'amour from Lamour himself.

The first five "Road" movies were amusing ( some more than others), but after a five year hiatus, the magic seems forced. Actors can only look at the camera so many times before it starts to get old, and inside jokes of Crosby having an Oscar but Hope not having one (after an outtake of Humphrey Bogart in "The African Queen" appears out of nowhere) is funny once, but unlike others in the series and similar parodies, they don't work on repeat viewings.

The one thing that benefits this is the use of color, showing Lamour off in slim sarongs and odd hair pieces. Songs thus time out are rather mediocre, with nothing standing out. Shots of cute clapping monkeys and singing sheep get more plaudits than "The Merry Go Round and Round", although Hope gets a funny gag by having his face imposed on a baby chimpanzee's. The conclusion involves a musical number straight out of the type of musical numbers from the early 1930's and a twist involving an unorthodox marriage. But with it being rather juvenile, it's a disappointment although some amusing cameos do add laughs.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"He's gonna sing, folks. Now's the time to go out and get the popcorn."
utgard145 May 2014
Trying to avoid shotgun weddings, two entertainers (Bob Hope, Bing Crosby) run away and take jobs as deep sea divers. This leads them to Bali and princess Dorothy Lamour. Inevitably both guys vie for Dorothy's affections while tangling with bad guys and a giant squid.

Routine 'Road' picture with the notable difference of it being in color. Hope and Crosby are always fun, especially when they break the fourth wall. Lamour is lovely in color. This was her last film for ten years. Some of the gags are tired but there are still lots of yuks. Also some decent songs. Overall the likable personalities of the trio keep it afloat. Jane Russell, Martin & Lewis, and Humphrey Bogart (through African Queen footage) all have cameos. There is one rather odd sequence where Dorothy dreams of her childhood pet monkey and we see a real chimp wearing a very creepy Bob Hope mask.
Return to Paradise
lugonian13 June 2010
ROAD TO BALI (Paramount, 1952), directed by Hal Walker, reunites the famous trio of Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour in another wild and crazy adventure for their sixth "Road" outing. Having traveled through "Singapore" (1940), "Zanzibar" (1941), "Morocco" (1942), "Utopia" (1945) and finally "Rio" (1947), with a lot of other territories to explore such as Borneo, Venice or even outer space, the writers came up with "Bali" as their next stop. With newfound surroundings, added Technicolor and surprise guest stars along the way, the material supplied, though hardly original, was no doubt quite popular in its day.

Opening with a commentary and visual over the map of Australia leading to the city in Melbourne, the story gets underway in a vaudeville house where American entertainers, George Cochran (Bing Crosby) and Harold Gridley (Bob Hope), longtime pals, are performing. Back stage are a couple of angry fathers with their daughters to whom these guys proposed, but each having no intention of marrying. Making their getaway, they soon end up on a train from which they jump out to avoid another angry father, ending up in a far away place surrounded by sheep. Arriving in another city as part of a cargo of sheep, the bearded George and Harold agree to accept jobs from Ken Ahok (Mervyn Vye) working as deep sea divers (with Harold doing the underwater job) to help locate buried treasure. Upon their arrival on an island paradise, the boys encounter Ahok's cousin, Lalah (Dorothy Lamour), a princess of Scottish descent. Because Ken Ahok happens to be responsible for the deaths of his previous divers, with intention of doing the same for these Americans, Lalah warns them that their mission means certain death. After Harold dives for and acquires the buried jewels, the trio break away from Ahok's murderous cutthroats and set sail out for Bali. While on the tropical island, further danger and numerous surprises awaits.

A movie being more fantasy than its intended South Seas island spoof, the film's best moments are its opening 20 minutes. In spite of every effort made turning out a great 91 minute comedy in the tradition of ROAD TO MOROCCO or ROAD TO UTOPIA, this latest "Road" installment grows tiresome long before it's all over. Crosby the con man, Hope the stooge, and Lamour the sarong girl in the middle, revive their past "Road" adventures with much familiarity, continue acting like over-age kids with their one "paddy cake" routine along with an assortment of ad-libs. In-jokes are put to the maximum this time around, some at a total loss for viewers today. Best bits however, are Hope and Crosby surrounded by beautiful maiden girls. An agonizing groan is heard off screen: Crosby: "What was that?" Hope: "It's Errol Flynn. He can't stand it." Or a clip insertion of Humphrey Bogart hauling The African Queen. (I thought Bali is in Indonesia!) Then there's Bing Crosby's brother Bob doing his bit with a "shot in the picture," along with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, as well as Jane Russell in some amusing bits. There's also a running gag throughout the film where the boys play a flute to see what slowly grows out of the basket. Murvyn Vye makes a fine villain, but it would have been nice having Anthony Quinn ("Singapore" and "Morocco") back for old times sake.

Musical interludes are a tradition in the series, with new score by Johnny Burke and James Van Heusen, including: "Chicago Style" (sung by Bing Crosby and Bob Hope); "Moonflowers" (sung by Dorothy Lamour); "Hoot-Mon" (sung by Hope and Crosby in kilts, performed by handmaidens and warriors); "To See You" (sung by Crosby); "The Merry-Go-Round Around" (sung by Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour and Bing Crosby); "Moonflowers" (reprize by Lamour); and "Wedding Chant" (natives). For Crosby's solo, Hope faces the camera addressing the theater audience that it's time for them to step out and get some popcorn.

Having fallen to public domain, poor quality prints of ROAD TO BALI have turned up on home video and DVD over the years. Better prints available happen to come from cable channels American Movie Classics and Turner Classic Movies. Being a Paramount film, notice the TCM print with both Columbia and Paramount studio logos for its introduction.

ROAD TO BALI almost became the final "Road" adventure. Ten years later, an attempt was made to revive the formula, being THE ROAD TO HONG KONG (United Artists, 1962), starring Crosby and Hope with Lamour strangely reduced to cameo appearance. Overall, any movie that can make a "monkey" out of Bob Hope, can't be all bad. (***)
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Non-stop goofiness in silliest of all the Road pictures
mlraymond19 December 2007
For some reason, this particular Road movie was on television more often than the others when I was a kid, and my sister and I used to crack up at the loony gags and sheer silliness of the picture. We were especially amused by the bit where the high priest asks the " God of the Sleeping Volcano" if he approves of the impending marriage between beautiful native princess Dorothy Lamour and the lecherous old king, and the volcano erupts with fire while a deep voice belches "NO!" The movie is practically nothing but a series of blackout sketches, ad-libs and in jokes, set against vividly colored backgrounds of islands, ancient temples, the sea, and jungles. The whole thing seems almost like a series of improvisations made up as they went along, after hours in a comedy club. There's just enough plot to move things along, some nice musical numbers, and a winking, nudging attitude toward the audience, best exemplified by a scene where romantic music starts playing and Hope turns to the audience and says, " He's gonna sing, folks, now would be a good time to go get the popcorn", and proceeds to put cotton in his ears as Crosby begins to serenade Lamour.

Road to Bali may be dated and corny, but it was meant to be just silly fun even when it was new. Maybe not the best of the Road pictures, but plenty of fun, anyway.
It is great!
Bonnie Shiro (bon_yelle)17 October 2006
I was born in 1952, so of course I did not see it for awhile, and it was all in black and white in those days, but color is better! Daddy watched it with us and he laughed about it so much and enjoyed these fellas, so of course, so did we. Now my children love to watch the movies , but then ask me how old is he, she, and I have to say,"Google it!" Bing Crosby begins to sing and the kids say what else did he sing, and there it is again. I know he was a crooner, but cannot remember names of songs, so they go on to other characters, and I do not remember the womens names, but I said"she had big, ah, well, breasts", so of course they liked her, and the actress was old then and I have no idea who she was. Back to look it up, so he did. I enjoyed watching this movie just as much as ever, and it will never grow old to me. The fact that I can say that to so many people is wonderful, so this site fills the bill. Yes, that shows my age, too. LOL! Thank you very much for allowing me to write this review. I appreciate it very much. Bonnie/bonyelle
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Look, don't fool with the fun flute unless you check with the master."
classicsoncall26 August 2006
Lots of great sound and sight gags in this one; credit Paramount Pictures with a willingness to take it's share of shots (along with Bing's brother Bob) in the story along with allowing the boys to do those clever asides and comments directly to the viewer. The inclusion of cameos by Martin and Lewis in Lala's dream scene, Bogey's "African Queen" swamp scene and Jane Russell's appearance at the end of the picture all add touches of whimsy to the film, and help us baby boomers take part in a little nostalgia. The flick even managed to work in the era's fascination with gorillas a couple of times.

If you're thinking the story doesn't have much in the way of reality going for it, I wouldn't be too critical. Abbott and Costello's movies didn't either and they got along just fine. In fact, I was surprised by how accurate they got the 'boga-ten' squid scene, the creature wasn't too much different from the one I saw on the National Geographic Channel a few nights ago. Except for the exaggerated giant eye and the triangular tipped tentacle, Hope's 'deep sea claw machine' looked pretty authentic, right down to it's red coloration - who would have thought?

Keep a close watch in the scene near the end when the tribal chief orders a twenty one gong salute, you can catch the bell sounding before it's hit!

Modern audiences may not have the patience for "Road to Bali" or the antics of legends like Hope, Crosby and Lamour, but I'll never get tired of their work. It's been a while since I've seen any of the other 'Road' films, but today's viewing of Bali was a reminder of just how much fun they were. I think it's time to look those up once again.
Quipping along!
JohnHowardReid28 October 2017
Songs: "The Merry Go Runaround" (Hope, Crosby, Lamour); "Chicago Style" (Hope, Crosby); "Hoot-Mon" (Hope, Crosby); "To See You" (Crosby, reprized Crosby); "Moonflowers" (Lamour); "Two Little Lambs" (Hope, Crosby). All songs except "Two Little Lambs" by James Van Heusen (music) and Johnny Burke (lyrics). Music director: Joseph J. Lilley. Special orchestral arrangements: Van Cleave. Musical numbers staged by Charles O'Curran.

Copyright 1 January 1953 by Bing Crosby Enterprises, Inc., and Hope Enterprises, Inc. Released worldwide through Paramount Pictures Corp. New York opening at the Astor: 29 January 1953. U.S. release: January 1953. U.K. release: 29 December 1952 (sic). Australian release: 18 December 1953 (sic). Sydney opening at the Prince Edward: 28 November 1953 (ran eight weeks). 91 minutes.

SYNOPSIS: Two vaudevillians are hired as deep sea divers by a South Seas island prince. NOTES: Third to Shane and Roman Holiday as Paramount's top-grossing domestic release of 1952-53. Second to Knock On Wood as Paramount's top-grossing Australian release of 1954. Sixth of the seven Road pictures.

COMMENT: The first Road movie in color was a box-office hit in its day, despite lukewarm reviews. It holds up rather well despite a rather lackluster climax in which the scriptwriters run out of ideas. The notion seems to have been to spoof such films as Bird of Paradise and Lamour's own "Aloma of the South Seas", but the quips which had been flowing thick and fast unaccountably dry up about twenty minutes from the fade-out.

Mind you, it's all rather lavishly and colorfully staged and the jests do resume with "The End" title which Hope vainly tries to delay as Crosby walks away with both Lamour and Russell.

Otherwise the boys are in fine fettle and those who enjoy their mutual banter, plus a host of topical allusions, plus guest appearances by Jane Russell (stunningly costumed), briefly Jerry Lewis as "Lalah" partnered by Dean Martin, a spot by Bob Crosby (which alas falls flat due to pedestrian staging) and a clip of Humphrey Bogart from The African Queen, will have a grand time on this Road to Bali. The songs are mighty pleasant too.

OTHER VIEWS: Top-class entertainment. Whilst the humor isn't quite as crazy as in some previous Road films and the direction is not as skillful (a few of the jests fall flat owing to far too casual staging), most customers will find the lush Technicolor production values more than take up any slack in the script. Crosby, Hope and Lamour make their usual frolicsome team. The villains led by deep- eyed, deep-voiced Murvyn Vye as Prince Ken Arok, are a rather jolly crew.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun silliness, as expected, in Technicolor
weezeralfalfa14 December 2016
The Road Series, starring Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, and Dorothy Lamour, peaked during the war years. Thereafter, only a few more were made, at multi-year intervals. This one, released in -52, followed "The Road to Rio" released in '47. The Bali film was the only one filmed in Technicolor instead of B&W. Like "The Road to Singapore", the story supposedly mostly takes place on an Indonesian island. And like that film, they never make it to their titled destination. Dorothy had starred in in several other films supposedly sited in the South Seas or other exotic locations, even though she didn't look exotic.

As usual, it features a couple of ne'er-do-well drifters, who have been surviving by occasional gigs in bands playing trumpet or clarinet, or by putting on vaudeville-like shows. They have to exit Melbourne, Aus. quickly to escape a couple of angry fathers and their daughters. They love women, but not for keeps. Unfortunately, they are also hounded on the train to Darwin, on the opposite side of Australia, so have to quickly exit the train. Some time later, they arrive in Darwin sporting long beards, which quickly vanish. They get a job diving for sunken treasure near the Indonesian island of Batu, where they meet Princess Lala(Dorothy Lamour), who warns them this is a suicidal venture, as the last 4 applicants disappeared into the ocean. Nonetheless, Hope: the diver, finds the lost treasure and barely survives a wresting match with a giant squid. "Grab the loot and Scoot" says Bing. But their employer wants to hog all they jewels, even tough, they rightfully belong to Princess Lala. The squid takes care of him, and the 3 motor on toward Bali. But, their trip is cut short when they hit a reef, sinking their boat. They survive to find themselves on a small island, where there are tigers, elephants and rust-colored gorillas, along with many natives and their chief and an Indian King: Ramayana, who demands that Princess Lala marry him, though he already has several wives. But she loves Bing and Hope, not the king. The rest of the film deals mainly with the question of whom the princess will marry.

Of course, there are various geographical or cultural absurdities. There is a Batu group of small Indonesian Islands, but its located off the west coast of Sumatra: hardly on the way to Bali, which is the only Indonesian island with a dominant Hindu cultural heritage. The very impressive gold headpieces sometimes worn by some of the dancers or by the princess, are characteristic of Thailand, but not of Balinese nor Indian Hindus. Tigers and elephants occur in some Indonesian locations, but not likely on a small island. Gorillas, of course are far from their native habitat. The rusty-colored beasts look like a cross between orangutans and gorillas. The kids, especially, will be impressed by the monstrous-looking headpieces worn by Bing , Bob and the officials, at times.

Note" Jane Russell, who appears for a moment at the end, had costarred with Hope in "The Paleface" and "The Son of Paleface".

I'm somewhat surprised the censors didn't nix the supposed marriage of Bing to Hope.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Weak Entry in the "Road Series"
Uriah4320 August 2016
This movie begins in Melbourne, Australia with two singers named "George Cochran" (Bing Crosby) and "Harold Gridley" (Bob Hope) entertaining the crowd with a song and dance routine. While they're performing they notice the family of a woman they had each asked to marry on the right of the stage. Minutes later they notice the same thing on the left of the stage. Since neither want to become involved in a shotgun wedding they make a dash for it and grab the first train out. Not long afterward, they wind up in a small town and take the only job that seems available¬ódiving for treasure off an island not too far from Bali, Indonesia. While on this island they meet a beautiful princess named "Lala MacTavish" (Dorothy LaMour) who warns George about the hazards associated with the particular dive that Harold has been talked into doing. But rather than tell his partner George allows him to proceed right into the arms of a giant squid. One thing leads to another and soon all three of them find themselves shipwrecked on an island with a native king who wants Princess Lala all to himself and her two companions dead. Now, up until this point the movie was moving along quite nicely but it's here that the wheels begin to fall off due in large part to jokes that fell flat and a story-line which wasn't that amusing. It was almost as if the script ended half-way through the film and Bob Hope was left to ad-lib from there to the end. In any case, this was a pretty weak entry in the "Road Series" and I have rated it accordingly. Slightly below average.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Road to Bali marked the only time Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, and Dorothy Lamour were seen together in Technicolor
tavm23 March 2016
With this-the sixth in the Road movies-it's the first (and only) time an entry is presented in Technicolor. It's also the first one I saw as a child at my local library though I've either only saw the beginning or come in the middle the couple of times I did that so now I've seen the thing in its entirety. I didn't remember it being too funny then but now that I get many of the inside jokes, it's a bit more funny now though I have to admit it seemed a bit longer than necessary when the plot comes into play. Still, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, and Dorothy Lamour are always fun to watch and there are some funny cameos from various stars including a clip of Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen which leads to some Oscar references of which Bob always likes to joke about never getting (in truth, he got several special ones over the years). While Bob and Bing would make one more Road feature, Ms. Lamour ended up just making a glorified cameo in that one as this movie turned out to be her last as a leading lady. So on that note, Road to Bali was another worthy entry in the series. Next up, The Road to Hong Kong.
Cute Comedy Classic
Rainey Dawn11 March 2016
Cute, corny, comedy classic. This film would not satisfy most of the youth today - the humor was quite a bit different back then than it is today but comedies like this still draws a viewing audience. The humor here is a bit "dry" but funny if you "get it".

Hope & Crosby are quite a team and put on some fun song and dance routines as well. I still think the beginning of the film is the best part - the ending is good but the beginning quite fun.

I don't think this is Bing or Bob's best film but it is a fun to watch if you like the "old school" humor.

Daft, dated fun
Neil Welch8 February 2015
George and Harold, down at heel song and dance men, forced to flee Australia, get involved in South Sea shenanigans in pursuit of the beautiful Princess Lala.

Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour, in the 7th (of 8) and only colour Road adventure, deliver the mix of tomfoolery, wisecracks, song and dance routines which audiences had come to expect. If I mention that the goings on include singing sheep, a giant squid, treasure, a romantic gorilla and a volcano, then you may get some idea of the colourful nonsense you can expect.

It's showing its age, but it's still good fun.
Funny
SanteeFats13 June 2013
I love and own all seven Road pictures. Bob Hope and Bing Crosby have an on screen relationship that is hilarious. Dorothy Lamar appears in the first six movies as the love interest of both the guys but Crosby ends up with her by the end of the movie. She also is in the Hong Kong one but since it is a few years later she basically does a cameo as an older torch singer in a club. In this particular show the two guys are running from many shotgun marriage parties that are trying to find them. They end up at a small island nation where Hope is sent down to find the treasure while Bing woos the princess. Michael Ansara plays the bad guy and of course gets his comeuppance. Since this is old time Hollywood all the natives are played by whites in make up.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A road picture with no map
vincentlynch-moonoi25 February 2012
Well, they can't all be gems. And this road pic does have color, richer sets, Dorothy Lamour, the hilarious banter between Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, and quite a few laughs...not to mention cameos by Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, Bing's brother, and Jane Russell.

Sadly, the one thing lacking is coherent script. What passes for a script would have been more at home in an early 1950s Bob Hope television show. This script...and road...needed a map. Instead, it wanders from gag to gag, laugh to laugh, skit to skit. But there's no continuity. And please, do we really need to stoop to amorous gorillas????? I've always enjoyed Hope and admired Crosby...not to mention some darned good road pictures. And, I'm still to have this one. But, although in rather lavish color, this is like driving down a dirt road. I'm only giving this one a "6", which for me is below a standard movie.
Bob, Bing and Dottie in Technicolor
earlytalkie16 December 2011
How could I miss reviewing a film released on the day I was born? "The Road To Bali" premiered on November 19, 1952 as the sixth in a series of seven Road pictures featuring the inimitable Hope and Crosby. This film is absolutely hilarious. There are so many funny lines and wisecracks that you will have to watch it more than once. The lunatic plot has our heroes innocently taking a job as deep-sea divers for a baddie who is trying to recover a lost treasure and take over the island paradise ruled by his beautiful cousin, played by gorgeous Dorothy Lamour. One thing leads to another and, well, you'll have to see the picture to see what the screenwriters came up with. The songs are lovely as is the Technicolor. I got this for $2.00 at a second hand DVD store on a 2-disc set from Vina. I expected the usual mediocre bargain-basement print, but was surprised to see a first-rate copy with vivid and beautiful Technicolor and excellent sound. This film is just the thing to pick you up. The guest cameos (Martin & Lewis, Bogey, Jane Russell, etc.) are an added bonus. They just don't make 'em like this anymore.