IMDb > He Cooked His Goose (1952) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

He Cooked His Goose More at IMDbPro »

Weak, but good at the ending

Author: holme-1
24 June 2001

Once again, this is the jealous husband plot that has been used too much. Most interestingly though, the stooges play separate characters and Larry is the star. But the beginning is quite silly and weak, so are Moe and Shemp's confrontations with Larry for making time with their girls except for the part in which Shemp gets into a battle with Cedric the clam. The ending was pretty funny though.

Rating: C-

Remade with Joe Besser as "Triple Crossed"(1958)

"Whew! What a long prefix."

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
19 August 2005

"He Cooked His Goose" is an interesting, yet below average, Three Stooges comedy directed by Jules White. It is quite a rare occasion in which the Stooges appear as separate characters, as in this short (some might complain that this is the major problem with "He Cooked His Goose"). In fact, Moe and Shemp never meet, aside from Moe briefly spotting Shemp in his Santa Claus disguise. Larry must have felt delighted that he more or less had the lead role for a change, and a rather juicy role at that; he portrays a cunning philanderer.

There are not many highlights that I can pinpoint for this film, but here are a couple. At Larry's pet shop, he introduces Shemp to Cedric the trained clam, who repeatedly demonstrates for Shemp what he does when he doesn't like somebody. And at the end, Shemp, wise to Larry's double-crossing scheme, physically punishes him and switches clothes with him, so that Larry now dons the Santa disguise. Hence when Moe uncovers Larry's white beard, he knows he got his man.

"He Cooked His Goose" does not rank high on my list of favorite Three Stooges shorts, but it still has its good moments. If it isn't one of your favorites and you do happen to see it sometime, catch a few laughs.

One of my favorite Three Stooges shorts.

Author: crusefamily
7 February 2002

HE COOKED HIS GOOSE (1952) Is in my top ten Shemp films. Yes, the whole short starts off boring and silly, but wait until the part with Cedric the clam. After that, there's a big and hilarious scene, where Larry sends Shemp to model underwear at Moe's wife's house. Then Larry sends Shemp's fiance to the house and she thinks Shemp is two-timing her. A big mix-up happens there, but I won't give it away. This is an excellent short, right up there with HEAVENLY DAZE (1948).

Grade: A+

One of my favorite Three stooges favorites

Author: m_hebner from Kentucky, USA
15 June 2003

This has to be one of the funniest three stooges shorts, in my opinion it is. But it might start off great but there is a funny part in the begining when Larry is eating hard boiled eggs and he not looking and accidently picks up a golf ball and tries eat it. but I think the funniest scene in this short is with Larry, Shemp, and Cedric The Clam. Cedric and Shemp don't get along too good. I have a bunch of three stooges shorts not including this one.