IMDb > Target Unknown (1951) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Target Unknown More at IMDbPro »

Based on Army Training Film

Author: malcolmgsw from london
1 October 2005

As one previous reviewer briefly mentioned this is based on an army training film.The film was made in 1944 by the First Motion Picture Unit of the Army Film Unit and called "Resisting Enemy Interrogation"(REI)The main difference between the two films is that the beginning and end are completely different.REI was a training film and it ended with a lecture from Lloyd Nolan.After being told that the raid had been a disaster he spends the last 5 minutes telling his audience"NEVER TALK".In this film there is about half an hour of daring do with a more positive outcome clearly more appropriate to a post war film.However for the time when the airmen are captive this film borrows almost in its entirety the script of REI.If you have a video/DVD machine then you can do what i did.Run one sequence of REI and then one sequence of this film.The words i assure you are identical.What i find most intriguing is the proposition that captured airmen could be falling for the tricks highlighted in this film and in REI.Were the crew so naive and where the Germans so sophisticated and urbane and clever?

great war movie

Author: bill hice (gibsonc22@megsinet.com) from usa
3 June 1999

This movie idea came from info tapes the Air Force showed pilots in case they were shot down. It shows how Nazis get crucial information from downed pilots that even the pilots don't know they know.

" 'Allo, 'Allo"

Author: ianlouisiana from United Kingdom
2 April 2007

Meanwhile,over at the Cafe Rene,Herr Flick of the Gestapo was conducting a thorough search for the stolen picture "Portrait of the Fallen Madonna With the Big Boobies"......... How the Germans lost the war I'll never know.Apparently the USAAF was composed of idiots who couldn't find their way across the channel without a telescope and a sniffer dog,whilst the Luftwaffe consisted of gimlet - eyed philosophers able to argue for hours about how many angels could be fitted on the head of a pin. The French were either girls with low - cut peasant blouses or beret - toting farmers hugger - mugger with Fritz. Mark Stevens is cast presumably for his slight resemblance to Cary Grant in the dark with the light behind him.His airforce officer is marginally less stupid than his companions and realises that his captors are trying to get information out of him. If this film is in any way based on fact,were I a German of a certain age I would demand a recount.

Clever war film

Author: prw-8 from United Kingdom
22 March 2007

I watched the film today . I had no great hopes for it as I had never heard of it.

The Times said So so. On reading the other reports I watched it and was pleasantly surprised how good it was.

It was one of the cleverest war films I have seen because it discussed how the prisoners of war were asked questions.

The German interrogator said "They don't know they know" he followed this up with "There is no such thing as an innocent question and no such thing as a valueless statement"

The point was he was able to piece together from various comments that the prisoners made what was going on and what the next raid might be about. This was even though the prisoners did not know the details of the raids themselves.

A clever idea and well executed.

Also for a US film they did not show the British and French characters as clichés.

Worth watching a few times.

Some good psychology, slightly unbelievable last half-hour

Author: Marlburian from United Kingdom
30 September 2005

The major part of this film is an interesting psychological exercise in trying to extract information from shot-down American airmen, with Robert Douglas particularly good as the chief German interrogator. I suspect that if I played back some of the crucial scenes I might occasionally question his logic, but watching the film straight-through he's convincing. Half-a-century after the film was made, it's easy for the viewer to spot many of the traps he sets for his captives, some of whom seem very naive - but then they've been shot down, seen their buddies killed and themselves been injured.

When two of the PoWs escape they have only a few hours in which to warn their comrades that the Germans know their bombing target, but they're able to contact all the right people - albeit by accident - in occupied by France. It'll be no surprise to anyone that in a film of this type they succeed.

Gig Young shows early promise as the "nice guy" among the German interrogators.

Unintentionally hilarious

Author: bruce-369 from United Kingdom
29 September 2005

As I watched this movie unfold(rather like a car crash in slow motion) I started to give the director,writer and cast excuses for the monumental ineptitude of the project.Was it because it was wartime propaganda?No ,the war having been over for 6 years.Would it be good for morale in post war austerity?No,knowing your pilots would tell a pretty nurse almost anything in exchange for a cigarette.The only sign of doubt at this course of action being a narrowing of the eyes immediately followed by bean-spilling when given an excuse a 10 year-old would see through. Only the comedy arrogance of the Nazis in telling the captured airmen,at every stage of their "interrrogation" what exactly they had or hadn't found out and their inability to see or hear anything unless it was 2 feet away from them,talking English and reacting like a pre-stunned steer gave our "heroes" the chance of ending up on the winning side.See it and laugh.

Dubbed, gotta be!

Author: mailmck from San Francisco CA
22 April 2002

Listen to the German Colonel and his weasly Leutnant. If that isn't Basil Rathbone dubbing Herr Oberst and Peter Lorre talking through the little guy, I'll turn in my deerstalker. And why wasn't Ward Cleaver given a credit? And why are the Germans transporting fuel in US Army deuce and a halfs? But Gig Young as Fred Reinhardt, good gig, guy. Makes you realize how the Germans are more like us than we'd like to think.