The Sea Hornet (1951) Poster

Good cast, interesting script, dull direction!
JohnHowardReid20 March 2017
I must admit that I'm a fan of Adele Mara, and thus I tend to give her movies a higher rating than they deserve. "The Sea Hornet" is probably such a movie. Certainly, the extremely dull, totally routine direction by Joseph Kane is of no great shakes. In fact, even by Kane's extremely humble standards, it's probably a little more uninspired than usual. This is a shame because both the female leads, the aforesaid Adele Mara and Adrian Booth, are very attractive. The script by Gerald Drayson Adams would have made a fairly exciting movie in the hands of someone like John Farrow, for instance, despite the fact that sunken treasure is a somewhat overworked theme.

Of course, a "B" picture is miles below Farrow's standard, but was "The Sea Hornet" intended as a "B"? 84 minutes is at least 20 minutes too long. So, at one stage or other, it was obviously intended as a main attraction! In addition to its top writer, Gerald Drason Adams, it has a top support cast, a top photographer in Bert Glennon, a top music score by R. Dale Butts, and a top editor in Tony Martinelli. But somewhere along the line, executive producer Herbert J. Yates got cold feet and assigned Joe "Don't make it good, make it Friday!" Kane to both produce and direct.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good Republic movie
GUENOT PHILIPPE8 March 2008
I discovered this interesting little movie yesterday.

A mix up of film noir and modern adventure. It takes place among high sea divers in search of a bullion. Rod Cameron is as good as ever. So is Jim Davis as the bad guy.

I also found an exotic perfume in this flick, even in black and white.

Actually, it's not a surprise. Herbert J Yates produced it.

Remember "Fair Wind to Java" directed by the same Joseph Kane. Joseph Kane who shot especially western movies, not thrillers or adventure films.

Just Vera Ralston is missing.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this