IMDb > R'coon Dawg (1951) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

R'coon Dawg More at IMDbPro »

My sympathies are entirely on the side of the raccoon in this one.

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
30 August 2003

Amusing, if slight and fairly predictable short from Disney that has Mickey and Pluto hunting a raccoon presumably for some reason undiscernable here. This raccoon, who likely would much rather be indulging in the raccoon equivalent of pipe, slippers and Ye Olde Saturday Evening Post in an easy chair before a cozy fire rather than running to preserve life and/or liberty, gets the best of Mickey and Pluto (particularly Pluto) and the hunt ends more favorably for the pursued than for pursuers and there was much rejoicing. Good enough to look out for. Recommended.

Fun if not wholly remarkable

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
26 December 2012

I have said many times that Disney was a huge part of my childhood and I still love many of their movies, shorts and shows. R'Coon Dawg admittedly was not one of those shorts that I grew up with so it's not really something that deems as particularly special to me. It is also not really a favourite now, the story while fun and energetic is not much new and is very routine in places. But the pluses far outweigh the minuses in R'Coon Dawg. Starting with the animation, which is, as is almost always with Disney, wonderful with its lush colours and fluid and detailed backgrounds. The music and sound effects I have always deemed as an asset that adds so much to an animated short, whether it is Disney or not. The music is still the catchy and beautifully orchestrated music I love to hear, and serves its expected purpose with no problems to speak of. I am especially fond of that of the opening credits. The gags are not the most original, but they are still very amusing and don't feel too brief or drawn-out. The characters are what drive R'Coon Dawg. Mickey and Pluto are their usual likable selves, but the star is the raccoon, a character that is not just smarter than them but also the one that we actually feel the most sympathy for. To sum things up, R'Coon Dawg is a fun short but at the same time I don't consider it a remarkable one. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Mickey & Pluto Chase Another Critter

Author: Ron Oliver (revilorest@juno.com) from Forest Ranch, CA
15 March 2003

A Walt Disney MICKEY MOUSE Cartoon.

A wily raccoon proves to be smarter than either hunter Mickey or R'COON DAWG Pluto.

There are humorous moments in this little film, but nothing new or original. Disney has ploughed this field before...

Walt Disney (1901-1966) was always intrigued by pictures & drawings. As a lad in Marceline, Missouri, he sketched farm animals on scraps of paper; later, as an ambulance driver in France during the First World War, he drew comic figures on the sides of his vehicle. Back in Kansas City, along with artist Ub Iwerks, Walt developed a primitive animation studio that provided animated commercials and tiny cartoons for the local movie theaters. Always the innovator, his ALICE IN CARTOONLAND series broke ground in placing a live figure in a cartoon universe. Business reversals sent Disney & Iwerks to Hollywood in 1923, where Walt's older brother Roy became his lifelong business manager & counselor. When a mildly successful series with Oswald The Lucky Rabbit was snatched away by the distributor, the character of Mickey Mouse sprung into Walt's imagination, ensuring Disney's immortality. The happy arrival of sound technology made Mickey's screen debut, STEAMBOAT WILLIE (1928), a tremendous audience success with its use of synchronized music. The SILLY SYMPHONIES soon appeared, and Walt's growing crew of marvelously talented animators were quickly conquering new territory with full color, illusions of depth and radical advancements in personality development, an arena in which Walt's genius was unbeatable. Mickey's feisty, naughty behavior had captured millions of fans, but he was soon to be joined by other animated companions: temperamental Donald Duck, intellectually-challenged Goofy and energetic Pluto. All this was in preparation for Walt's grandest dream - feature length animated films. Against a blizzard of doomsayers, Walt persevered and over the next decades delighted children of all ages with the adventures of Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi & Peter Pan. Walt never forgot that his fortunes were all started by a mouse, or that childlike simplicity of message and lots of hard work will always pay off.