IMDb > The Blue Veil (1951) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Blue Veil

The Blue Veil More at IMDbPro »

One of the finest "lost films."

Author: Charles Van Dusen (Cdorothygale@netscape.com) from Buffalo, NY
14 May 2005

There are several truly excellent movies that have apparently vanished from general distribution. THE BLUE VEIL sadly lies in a vault somewhere, for some unknown reason. My guess: some copyright dispute, be it literary or musical. Please, someone, "PAY THE TWO DOLLARS!"

As Louise, a governess, Jane Wyman gives a performance that is easily the equal of JOHNNY BELINDA. In two scenes alone, Miss Wyman could, and does, wring tears from a stone. She is supported by a fine cast which includes Joan Blondell, Charles Laughton and Natalie Wood. Performances which are of this caliber should not be allowed to disappear, unknown and unappreciated.

This was an RKO release, which spells TED TURNER. Why don't we bring pressure to bear where it counts? THE BLUE VEIL deserves to be seen.

World War 1 Tearjerker as Wyman Shines Taking Care of Children

Author: edwagreen from United States
8 December 2005

Remember Channel 9 in New York City? So many times they would show the classic THE BLUE VEIL with Jane Wyman, Richard Carlson, Charles Laughton, Vivian Vance, Natalie Wood and Joan Blondell. It was part of what was known as THE MILLION DOLLAR MOVIE.

Go know that this magnificent film would disappear. Jane Wyman is now past 90 years of age. It would be a tribute to her to show this outrageously good movie.

While Wyman was nominated for best actress in it in 1951, she lost to Vivien Leigh in A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE. Few people know that Wyman won the Golden Globe Award for best actress of the year for this remarkable film.

The film pulls out every emotional stop imaginable in depicting the life of a woman who cares for other people's children. The film begins with a newly widowed World War 1 Wyman losing her child after giving birth. From that point on, the viewer is taken on an emotional roller-coaster, as the film shows every situation she encounters while caring for other people's children. Affectionately known as Lulu, Wyman is at her best.

In tribute to the long career of Jane Wyman, this film should be released while she is still living. We should demand this.

After all these years, I was able to obtain a copy and I saw this wonderful film the other day. The picture is even better after all these years. Wyman is better than terrific here. She always played the part of the victim in her pictures. Those sad-dreary eyes will get to you. After 56 years, my eyes filled up with tears. This is an unforgettable tear-jerker of the highest quality. They sure knew how to make pictures in those years. What a wonderful supporting cast.

Wyman sacrifices her life to care for other people's children. How many women would do that in today's society? The opportunity was there to marry for convenience. Please note the fabulous performance of Charles Laughton in a supporting role, as a lonely widower left with an infant. He is totally out of his usual domineering character here. His performance is marvelous and well understated. Natalie Wood is just fine as Stephanie. She will also tug at your heart when she refers to Lulu (Wyman) as her mother when her own mother, played by nominated supporting actress Joan Blondell fails to arrive at her communion.

53 years old and still going strong

Author: gelashe from New York City
15 May 2004

After searching for 21 years I finally got a copy, albeit not a great one, but at least I got to see it. Jane Wyman as the self sacrificing nursemaid makes your heart break and eyes water as she puts her "children" ahead of her for her entire life. After losing her own baby shortly after birth and being a widow with no skills, she goes to an employment agency where she is encouraged to take a 2-3 week stint with a new born. Understandably she is hesitant but accepts and in what will become a pattern for her, has to move on to new children. The last one is a heartbreaker, after raising a child for 8 years, she has to give him back to his mother and stepfather who finally resurfaced after spending time in England during and after the war. Now she is elderly, and winds up cleaning in a school just to be around children. When her eyesight fails, the doctor she goes to turns out to be one of her "children". She recognizes his name and tells him who she is. He invites her to his home for dinner the next week where he gives her the greatest surprise imaginable. I recommend doing whatever you have to in order to see this movie.

'50s Melodrama with class

Author: wtmack from Bayside, NY
16 June 2004

This is a 1950s melodrama which tells, in episodic fashion, the story of the adult lifetime of Louise Mason (Jane Wyman, yes, the first Mrs. Ronald Reagan). Louise dedicates her life to being a nanny, i.e. raising other people's children. Wyman gives a very sympathetic, understated performance, and received an Academy Award nomination for it. She's surrounded by familiar character actors, some relatively understated (Charles Laughton)and some over the top (Cyril Cusack). Also look for Agnes Moorehead, Vivian Vance (better known as Lucy's landlord, Ethel Mertz) and Joan Blondell (Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress). Without giving away the story, I would compare the film's emotions to a nanny version of Goodbye, Mr. Chips. This film is not available on video, and is very hard to find, but's it's definitely worth a look if you do.

How much I enjoy old movies and miniseries

Author: goldie_kalo from Tel-Aviv ISRAEL
4 January 2003

Although my home for the past 25 years has been here, I was born and educated in London England. I remember seeing THE BLUE VEIL as a young child and I have never forgotten it. I couldn't stop crying for days, that's how intense Miss Wyman's outstanding performance had a hold on my heart. I have managed to collect quite a good number of old favourite movies and mini-series of mine. Luckily we have the Turner Classic Movies channel on our cable TV, but although there have been many classic movies, "THE BEST" (in my opinion) has not been forthcoming. I buy the weekly TV Guide as soon as it hits the shops hoping for a miracle that I will finally see this BEAUTIFUL movie once again. Being quite a newcomer to the Internet (only 1 month) I haven't yet been able to locate enough old movie stores or companies, so my search for this film has failed till now. However, I won't give up especially after reading other viewers' comments and I hope our letters will finally reach their goal and someone with influence in the right place can see to it that this movie is once again aired.

A First Rate Tear-Jerker

Author: fairy-lady from United States
22 August 2005

If you LOVE a tear-jerker then have the tissues ready. This one will have you bawling. It tugs at the heart strings and doesn't let go. If you love movies that involve high emotional soap opera drama then this movie is for you. The ending wraps everything up into a beautiful neat package and I love this movie. I wish it were out on DVD. Jane Wyman give a very convincing performance. The children will break your heart. This kind of soap opera is no longer made and is definitely a chick flick. I never tire of watching this film and certainly recommend it to all of you. If any of you have ever watched "About Mrs. Leslie" with Shirley Booth and loved it then you'll probably love this one too.

A wonderful film!

Author: C. L. Austin from Sunnyvale, California
29 March 2002

"The Blue Veil" is an excellent movie. Even though it hasn't been shown for years on TV, that's where I first saw it. The cast is excellent (especially Jane Wyman) and you follow her through many different homes as she cares for many different children. The ending is great! Really well done.

Another great (and unavailable) 50's film

Author: robertshort_3 (robertshort_3@hotmail.com) from Canada
20 June 2004

As another reviewer noted, "The Blue Veil" is apparently entangled in rights litigation, which would certainly explain why this wonderful movie is never shown on TV nowadays; nor, sadly, is it available for release on video. Over the years I have noticed that a number of the great Jane Wyman's 1950's movies seem to have fallen off the radar screen. "Magnificent Obsession" and "All That Heaven Allows" seem to be the only titles that have been released to video or warrant reasonably frequent TV airings. While these two Douglas Sirk titles are undeniably fine, what about the others? I clearly remember seeing such Wyman films as "The Blue Veil", "So Big" and "Lucy Gallant" on TV in the 1960's and very early 1970's. Since that point, many of these 1950's and early '60's movies have disappeared into oblivion (at least in my immediate TV viewing area). As there does not appear to be any hurry to release these great films on video, I can only lament the loss.

One of the best movies ever!

Author: betdav1 (betdav1@msn.com) from Corpus Christi, Texas
17 March 2001

The Blue Veil is truly a movie classic. I, too, have searched for it on TV and tape and have not been able to locate it. Is there any way one can request its availability from RKO or elsewhere? Rarely has there been a film with so many star performers! I would like to know the names of the child stars who added so much to the story.

The movie is discussed in the biography called Jane Wyman; the actress and the woman, by Lawrence J. Quirk, and published by Dembner Books in 1986. Since the story covers a 50 year period, the fantastic job of aging Miss Wyman is remarkably accomplished. The book discusses this and other facts of the movie as well as Wyman's many other stellar roles in such films as The Yearling.

Tremendous emotional impact, stellar performance by Wyman

Author: dotsicle from Detroit, Michigan
7 September 1999

I was a very impressionable young girl when I saw this movie...not on tv, but at the local theater. I remember running out of tissues, I cried so much. An elderly couple seated next to me passed me more tissues and reassured me that it was "only a movie". I have never forgotten this film, and I have yet to see it on tv. Jane Wyman should have had the Oscar that year.