IMDb > "Front Page Detective" (1951) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Front Page Detective" More at IMDbPro »

Edmund Lowe is the Reason to Watch!!

Author: kidboots from Australia
26 March 2013

Based on stories from the popular "Front Page Detective" magazine which featured lurid covers often involving scantily clad girls, this early TV show premiered in 1951. Edmund Lowe, always a much sought after actor due to his breezy charm and debonair ways was offered the part of David Chase, an amateur detective who also writes a syndicated newspaper column, at an age when most actors were retiring.

Unfortunately Lowe is the only reason to watch this pretty cheaply made series. His suaveness and professionalism often show up the amateurish over acting of the others on the show. "The Little Black Book", which delves into gambling secrets and "Murder Rides the Night Train" seems to be awash with thick and phoney accents although the latter episode does have Lyle Talbot as a gangster and Angelo Rossito as the vengeance crazed brother of one the body guards.

Nothing Special, but not bad

Author: Lame-Username-1234 from Australia
10 January 2010

I recently viewed an episode of this series called "Alibi for suicide". Production values are fair but a bit lacking, the script is fun and most of the cast acted well. In the episode, a man's wife commits suicide and tries to make it seem that he and his girlfriend killed her. It seems the man had wanted a divorce but the wife wouldn't let him do it. The episode runs about 25 minutes. The method in which the detective proves their innocence is among the strangest I've ever seen in a crime-drama. Unrealistic, maybe, but that hardly hurts the show. I hope to see more episodes of this series. Who knew bad manners could prove someone innocent?

Love Front Page Detective and Edmund Lowe

Author: antoniodalfonso-167-578991 from Montreal, Canada
18 May 2017

I fell upon this series in a box set on Detectives. After spending a year or so watching this genre, and other genres made for TV, I must say that Edmund Lowe and this Front Page Detective is very entertaining. We have to stop watching these shows just to laugh at errors and bad acting. These shows were produced, I am sure, with pleasure. Not to be taken seriously. Tongue in cheek, all for a quick espresso cup of pleasure. Often the dialogues are superb. The wit is non-stop. Stereotypes purposely laughable. I enjoy the film noir lighting, that is clearly theatrical and kitsch. But it is such fun to watch at. When we approach older TV shows, we must be totally naive and open. Expecting nothing, and be filled with nothing than a sense of self-ignorance. Forgetting the violence and vulgarity modern TV have come to represent as real and normal. And I do not wish to express here a moral judgment. It is not about morality, it is about our everyday realities and simple people, good and bad. Like Chase says: "Crazy, yes like Columbus. And look at what he found."