IMDb > Radar Secret Service (1950) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Radar Secret Service More at IMDbPro »

The Wonders Of Radar

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
10 July 2011

Not that anything in Radar Secret Service will tell you this is a futuristic drama because everybody drives cars and dresses in fashions of the present day of 1950, but the fact is even the movie-going public was aware that radar did not have the capabilities so described in that time. It still doesn't. But the premise around the film that radar was an all purpose crime fighting and detecting tool was way in the future.

Two futuristic cops, John Howard and Ralph Byrd, ride around in a car equipped with radar detection and they're on a case involving some stolen uranium. The gang has all kinds of layers within it with your typical gangster's moll Adele Jergens supposedly gunman Tom Neal's woman, but really two timing him with mastermind Tris Coffin. In fact this whole film is proof positive of the premise there is definitely no honor among thieves.

Something tells me that the Radar Secret Service was not used in tracking down two bit stickup men and that the public was supposed to feel good about radar keeping us safe. This film really plays to Cold War paranoia.

On the plus side Adele Jergens and Myrna Dell playing a waitress are always good to look at and perennial Lippert Pictures regular Sid Melton is once again in this for comic relief. Sid was really needed here.

Fun enough, but crazy ideas about radar

Author: drystyx from United States
9 December 2012

This is a Dragnet style show of cops and robbers, in this case G Men vs Dick Tacy style crooks who steal a radioactive element used for high tech energy or for warfare.

"Radar" is very overrated in its properties here. People from this era, that I knew of, never spoke this highly of Radar in its properties, so I don't think it was ever really as overrated as this movie makes it look.

So much for the bad Science being a product of its generation. It was Mickey Mouse Science then, as well as today.

However, since there are at least two heavily used comic relief characters in this movie, it isn't likely that it was ever meant to be "realistic". This was meant to be tongue in cheek, and a good time.

The comedy would be better if the writing was better. The actors are actually pretty good, especially the comic relief ones, but their lines are not good, even for 1950.

Still, this movie flows very well, and is easy to follow, making it much more entertaining than most modern action movies.

One can look at it as "equal time" as well, a polar opposite of what the industry tries to use for propaganda today.

Today, propaganda is very Republican, it's "don't mess with the mob" that makes most movies today, "unless you're Rambo". Most people don't have any illusions about being Rambo, so the modern movie is propaganda to keep organized and disorganized crime safe. Today's movie is meant to show that the mob is perfect.

So, it's good to have "equal time" for a change, even if one has to go back over half a century, to find equal propaganda against mobs. It certainly is more interesting this way.

The Banality of Banality

Author: amosduncan_2000 from United States
29 July 2006

My rating would be zero as a movie, but ten as an MST3K show. It's so dull that your attention wanders, and you can sort of get the plot after you watch the bots go after it a couple of times. These movies do have have a certain fascination, and I'd like to know more about the bland, bland cinematic world of Robert Lippert. The lives of people who went to Lippert films must have tasted like stale wheat. You can't help but wonder if the relationship of Blackie and his gal had a least some spark. While the damned "Pillbox" (Melton, dear God, it's Melton) is in a hell of his own partaking. Note the cameo of Ed Wood actor at the end. I could look up his name, but, ah... it's just too boring.

Without radar, life just has no meaning

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
6 November 2010

The film begins with a long-winded discussion about the wonderful miracle of radar and all the wonderful ways it makes like better for government agents. Unfortunately, most of the information is false, as radar was old hat by the time this film came out and had very little to do with spies. For example, you can see people at great distances like TV--and without even a camera--all thanks to this 'radar'!! Whatever. I personally think the film makers just happened to come up with some stock footage of radar operators and equipment and that is THE reason for the film's title!

The film is about g-men and I was amazed that such a subject was so boring and poorly written. The dialog was often pretty lame and I loved how they had a character named 'Blackie'--and he was a g-man actually working on the side of evil--what a HUGE surprise!! Who'd have thought that a guy named Blackie would be bad?! Well, that's the sort of lame writing this film had throughout.

I also knew it would be a bad film because Sid Melton is in it. While today he's most likely to be recognized as 'Al Monroe' from "Green Acres", Sid was a terrible comedian. And, every time I have seen him in a B-movie, the film has been just awful. I am sure he was a lovely person in real life, but on film....yuck--a sure sign of a crappy film!

Overall, the film is dull and stupid. And those are only some of the GOOD qualities!

Scanners picking up severe boredom

Author: InzyWimzy from Queens, NY
12 November 2003

Once you see Lippert, you know you're in for a slab of cinematic torture.

Radar is your friend. It is responsible for everything good and sacred in society. No evil intentions can be hidden from the pervasive eyes of the almighty radar.

RADAR THIS!!!

Instead of a story, you get lots of black and white shots of guys standing around, inane conversations, bleak settings and even bleaker faces. You can't even tell the good guys from the baddies....oh wait, EVERYBODY was bad in this one. I knew my eyes were viewing this horrific monstrosity despite the periods of coma induced blackouts and the experience can be compared to vacationing on the sun without SPF 5,000,000. Why the pointless scenes of helicopters flying over open roads? I cannot recall one character from this poopiefest except for inappropriately named Blackie. Oh, remember that hilarious comedian guy, Sid Melton? Because I DON'T!! Instead, his attempts at humor left scarring impressions and hopes of his quick sniper death.

You see, this one just hurts...on so many levels. Nothing happens, there's no interesting story so the useless dialogue serves no purpose. This was only an hour long! I swear Father Time was yawning during this drivel. Even Mike and the bots reel from the effects of this one. Damn that Hypno Helio Static Stasis!

Radar can do anything!(except save this movie)

Author: GeneralB from Sanford, FL
2 November 1999

This movie seems to think radar is some super weapon that can do absolutely anything. I mean, it begins with quick scene on how radar was important in World War II. While this might seem fair enough, the movie takes radar's importance to ludicrous levels. When a truck is hijacked, the government uses radar to track it down. Radar mounted on a vehicle can apparently deliver TV quality images that follow the truck like a camera (I wonder why?). You can't say a bad thing about radar in this film. Don't worry, though. The guys from MST3K came to the rescue, and made it quite enjoyable (like they always do with bad movies) with their running commentary.

Oh, those Golden Grams! Oh, those Golden Grams!

Author: Dan Mudd from USA
14 June 2003

Very strange movie that deals with g-men obsessed with RADAR. As we all know, radar is a fantastic piece of technology, but the movie doesn't seem to really be about it. It's more about long-winded speeches about a robbery and nothing more. It's quite funny, but I don't think that's how the director originally intended it to be!

So Bad it's Funny!

Author: Gunn from Minnesota
3 December 2008

I can definitely understand why MST3K chose this film to mock. It seems it was aimed at kiddy matinees back in the 1950s. The dialog seems as if it was written by an eighth grader back then. This film along with 8 others is included in a set titled Forgotten Noir Vol. 4. Now I realize why that title! The second film in the set is "Counterspy Meets Scotland Yard" and this one is a few notches better and has a more familiar cast including Amanda 'Miss Kitty' Blake. As historical film documents of a simpler era they make sense. However, it is pretty difficult to keep a straight face while watching this film. I never watched ST3K but I can imagine they had a "field day" with this one. I will be reviewing more from this series as I view them.

We don't care about radars.

Author: lartronic from Akron, Ohio.
20 October 2000

This movie was just plain stupid, they probably believed radars would end up being the first things on mars, or saving the human race, or something heroic. But this movie is beyond help, even worse most cheap 50's flicks. Of course, MST3K did a good job on it, but some people haven't seen that episode, I feel sorry for them.

Can't watch this without RADAR!!

Author: Michael H from Coastal Maine
11 February 2005

Radar Secret Service is a service to nobody unless watched with MST. Wow what a film, slightly more action than Starfighters but not by much. More script than action here, men in gray suits and hats stand around and talk about what they are A: Going to do, and B: What they plan to do. In between there's a couple of gals who look exactly alike yet are different characters who are somehow involved and a boss who talks to the main radar operations guy on how wonderful radar is. Nothing really is accomplished even though the movie claims something did happen. Mike and the bots make this film enjoyable. Oh yes, Sid Melton is thrown in for comedy relief, but this is not apparent. Enjoy!!