IMDb > In a Lonely Place (1950) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 13 of 15: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Incredibly dark

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
11 June 2016

IN A LONELY PLACE is a brilliant little film but also one that's difficult to sit through because the central story is so damned depressing. This has to be one of the bleakest-ever film noirs to come out of Hollywood; it's a film so dark that it feels incredible it ever got made, with the central thrust of the tale building up to a powerhouse climax which is a near-perfect culmination of everything that's built up to that point.

I'm amused to think of theatregoers heading off to see this film expecting a typical romance between big movie stars Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Graham. What a shock they must have been in for! Both actors act their socks off throughout, although it's Bogart who gets all the plaudits for playing such a complicated and unpleasant character.

The central narrative is a murder mystery in which the authorities suspect Bogart of committing a crime but don't have the evidence to convict him of it. It doesn't help that Bogart plays a violent man given to violent acts throughout the movie. The screenplay keeps you guessing as to his guilt right until the end, and it's never less than well directed throughout. I thought the supporting cast were a little weak here, but when so much of the focus is on Bogart and Grahame, it doesn't really matter.

Quite simply the best noir ever made

Author: Aaron Igay
18 August 2014

I'm a self-described noir nut and 9 out of 10 is basically my highest rating. That is except for those rare few films that touch me emotionally in a permanent way. 'In a Lonely Place' I saw for the first time on the big screen at a revival house about twenty years ago. When the curtain closed I literally couldn't move from my seat for several minutes. Since then I have revisited it dozens of times and it still turns me into a blubbering mess every time. Lots has been written about the style, setting, performances, dialogue, I'm sure it's all brilliant, but I am always too involved in the story to be bothered with any of that. So I'm not really going to review it properly since I can't be objective. For normal folks, who won't feel like they got hit with a ton of bricks by the end, I'm sure you will still be greatly entertained. But for nuts like me, watch out, it just might change your life.

In a lonely place

Author: akupm from United Kingdom
2 December 2013

In a lonely place (1950) (Directed by Nicholas Ray) In my opinion the film had a weak substance because of how Nicholas Ray directed his picture. But on the other hand the moderate psychology was good. So as the result you could acknowledge some elements of the characters' natures. My eyes stared into the creative costume and production designing. The plot was poor because it was carried by a flat director. As a ramification I lost interest in the story that had rich themes. In a few scenes the cinematography was at it high standard. I couldn't dare resist looking at the Los Angeles landscape such as the 50s vehicles, palm trees, architecture and many more spicy ingredients. The physicality was impressive. I loved the calm camera fading. The main character had a quality role in the movie because of his body language and his aggression that would hurt people around him. The soundtrack wasn't suitable for the picture at all because It given the movie a cheesy mood when the film had serious themes for an example, Power, fame, emotions and Hollywood. I give the picture a 4 ½ /10

Great Chemistry Between Bogie & Grahame

Author: marquis de cinema from Boston, MA
23 March 2000

In A Lonely Place(1950) is one of my favorite Humprey Bogart movies along with The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(1948), The Big Sleep(1945), and Beat The Devil(1953). It is about loneliness and despair and how these two qualities fill the souls of the two main characters. Bogart gives an aggressive performance as a writer in the twilight of his career. In a Lonely Place(1950) must have been an influence on Martin Scorsese as he would deal with similar themes seen in the film. Gloria Grahame gives an excellent performance as a woman who is torn between loving and fearing Bogart's character.

Is Jeff Donnell really Shelley Winters

Author: Elinor Braitman from United States
25 June 2007

I viewed "In a Lonely Place" It was a very interesting movie. I was very impressed with the way people expressed themselves back in 1950. It is an accurate demonstration, and it is very curious to notice the manner in which our society has evolved. We are not a romantic society anymore as we once were. I was also impressed with the fact that Humphrey Bogart was so much older than Gloria Grahame. He looked old enough to be her father, yet no one remarked about that. Everyone thought they were an appropriately matched couple. The disparity in their personalities was well portrayed. Had the lieutenant told them the good news one day earlier, the results would have been disastrous. They would have married, and Humphrey's character still would have been a violent, possessive person. Gloria's character would still have been afraid of him. I was certain that the woman who plays Sylvia Nikolai was Shelley Winters, yet the cast of characters lists her name as Jeff Donnell. Are they one and the same? person?

Excellent, wellplotted and well acted. Bogart was his usual self; Gloria Grahame was very believable in her role.

Author: anonymous from Williamstown, Mass.
17 February 1999

An excellent action film, with a good, tight plot and unusual twists. Bogart was his usual self, a fine job. Most of all, I liked the way Gloria Grahame played her role. Her different emotions came out clearly, her facial expressions showed these emotions, and her carriage and actions were tops. She did a fine job of acting. The rest of the cast was good also, especially Martha Stewart as Mildred. Great viewing!

Sad

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
15 February 2002

I saw this for only the second time in about 30 years, last night, and have been mulling it over. It bulges with noir icons, I know: Nick Ray, Bogart, Gloria Graham. It ought to work, but it doesn't. The murder story, which should be at the center of things, is of no consequence. Instead we have Bogart as a nasty and ill-tempered guy who doesn't know how to say "I love you," or "I'm sorry" (after he bashes his agent, one of his few friends). Graham is a dumb bimbo who likes his face but doesn't want to kiss it. There isn't a light moment in the movie, and Bogart is Captain Queeg without any sympathy. He hasn't learned anything at the end, and neither has Graham. She was right to leave him. Anybody would be right to quit his presence. It looks like noir but it's really rien.

In a Lonely Place

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
7 January 2008

As far as I've heard, this was one of the early films about the Hollywood film industry (the oldest one I know is probably Singin' in the Rain, about the transition into sound), and a bit of a weird one I have to say, well, it is film noir. Basically Dixon Steele (Humphrey Bogart) is the heavy drinking Hollywood screenwriter faced with writing a trashy bestseller, and one night he is trying to have a good time with Mildred Atkinson (Martha Stewart). Later that night, Mildred is found murdered, and with his record of violent tendencies, macabre sense of humour, and emotionless reaction (coolness), Steele is the prime suspect. Fortunately, his neighbour Laurel Gray (Gloria Grahame, originally the part was written for Bogart's wife, Lauren Bacall) gives him an alibi, and soon enough, and friendship turns into love. Later of course, with evidence or something like that popping up more, and Steele easily losing his temper and punching a driver, Laurel questions his innocence, and even when he is proved not guilty, there is no happy ending and he leaves. Also starring Frank Lovejoy as Det. Sgt. Brub Nicolai, Carl Benton Reid as Capt. Lochner, Art Smith as Agent Mel Lippman, Jeff Donnell as Sylvia Nicolai, Robert Warwick as Charlie Waterman, Morris Ankrum as Lloyd Barnes and William Ching as Ted Barton. Bogart is pretty convincing as an easily angered near maniac, a good dark film. Humpherey Bogart was number 36 on The 100 Greatest Movie Stars, he was number 1 on 100 Years, 100 Stars - Men, and he was number 27 on The World's Greatest Actor. Very good!

Mixed Bag of Noir

Author: duncmoll from Texas
1 September 2007

"In a Lonely Place" has a couple of factors going for it: 1) I think it has a great script, and 2) Gloria Grahame in her prime. Bogart himself is always interesting to watch, but his character here is so unappealing that you don't feel much sympathy for him. This film could've been one of those ground breakers by dealing openly with a mental illness, but we get a "soft crash landing" instead. GG is one sexy lady as Laurel, and the supporting cast, except for the thespian friend, is in great form. As I said above, the writing seemed topnotch to me, and the film had more potential than it realized in the end. When Bogart was "on", as in "The Caine Mutiny" or "African Queen", he was a great actor, one of THE greatest, but this effort looks like something he almost did in his sleep.

Well-done but not a classic

Author: preppy-3 from United States
28 July 2006

Hollywood screenwriter Dixon Steele (Humphrey Bogart) is a bitter man. He hates his job and everybody in it--he also flies into violent rages. He is accused of killing a girl last seen leaving his apartment one night. A neighbor of his (Gloria Grahame) is positive he didn't do it--and immediately falls in love with him. But then she sees him lose control a few times and begins to think she may be wrong about his innocence.

There's a lot wrong with this picture: The plot is familiar and the dialogue is pretty terrible. Also believing that beautiful Grahame would fall in love with a very ill-looking Bogart is pushing it. Bogart also is terrible--he looks old and tired and walks through his role (but he was sick with cancer at the time). Still this is worth catching. Bogart aside it's well-acted (Grahame is just great) and extremely well-directed by Nicholas Ray (a nighttime drive with Bogart and Grahame is especially well-done). It moves very quickly too (it's only about 96 minutes). A lot of people don't like this film because of it's cynical tone and downbeat ending--but don't let that scare u away. Again, it's worth seeing but not the classic it's been called. I give it an 8.

Page 13 of 15: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]