IMDb > The Flying Missile (1950) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Flying Missile More at IMDbPro »

A moralistic McHale's Navy

Author: bigdinosaur from Wyoming
25 July 2004

Of course McHale's Navy didn't appear until over a decade after this movie was made, but there are elements of this movie that remind me of McHale's Navy...stealing supplies, crewmen horsing around. The attempts at comedy were largely unsuccessful however.

This movie involves the implementation of Commander Talbot's (Glenn Ford) vision of missiles being launched from submarines. And he, and his crew, go through major contortions (a la McHale's Navy style) to get this accomplished. Of course, while so occupied, romance intervenes. And the girl's (Viveca Lindfors) father is a major stumbling block. He is a pacifist who is strongly against the commander's efforts.

Although slow moving, this film is still quite watchable. The acting is fair and the story is reasonable. It is obviously pro-military and I'm sure heartily embraced by the Dept. of Defense. For the amount of money which appears to have been spent on this production...very little...it turned out fairly well.

Although this is not a war movie per se, fans of WW2 era material will probably enjoy this one. My vote: 6 out of 10.

This film is in my 16mm collection and is quite old with various splices which makes it difficult to do a decent technical analysis. Additionally 16mm films are generally limited to mono sound tracks and substandard sound fidelity. If this film is available on video or DVD, I am unaware of it.

A court martial offense

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
31 October 2014

When the Department of Defense signed on for cooperation in making The Flying Missile I'm not sure if anyone read the story. What Glenn Ford does in this film should have been a court martial offense and rated him being drummed out of the Navy.

Also a great opportunity was missed showing how the discoveries in rocketry by our late opponents in World War II were now being put to use in our country's defense.

Glenn Ford is cast as a submarine commander who develops an obsession with firing rockets from submarines and pushes to get himself assigned to a developing program at Point Mugu, California. As a sideline he develops an interest in Admiral Henry O'Neill's secretary Viveca Lindfors.

But mainly he's interested in being the first to test fire a missile from a submarine. So interested is Ford that he ignores all kinds of protocols and procedures. Something happens on the first test and he loses Joe Sawyer his CPO on the submarine.

I'm sorry, but in the real Navy he would have been court marshaled and drummed out of the service. The Pentagon would also have been looking at Henry O'Neill's conduct as well who acts like an indulgent rich uncle with Ford instead of a commanding officer.

Glenn what were you thinking when you signed on for this?